I've decided that I want to buy some classical music, but all I want is instrumental compositions by Beethoven, Mozart etc. Annoyingly though, they all died before they could record onto cd, so they have to leave it to some conductor type people, who I unfortunately have never heard of. Are there any particularly good ones to look out for, and any to avoid? I thought there'd be one or two, but I had a quick look and found loads of different variations of each composer, and I don't know if the different recordings will be any different from each other, but I have never tried to buy classical music before, so I have NO IDEA.

Thanks for any help
Check out some prom performances, I am sure there are many on youtube and the BBC website/s.
Quote by Jackolas
Check out some prom performances, I am sure there are many on youtube and the BBC website/s.

That's a cool idea, thanks. There's a flaw though, in that I've just moved house, and we won't have an internet connection for another week, and any sites that could show prom performances are all blocked at work I also need the CD's delivered to work, because there'll be no one in to sign for them at home, and I'll be finished work in a week for Christmas. And I don't want to have to wait another week before I get them, because I'm an inpatient prick
Quote by IamAwesomeness
searchbar

Really? I looked on there, and most of the threads were about buying classical guitars, or had nothing to do with conductors. Have you got a direct link? I apologise if I have cocked up, I just didn't see anything
Quote by pawnshopguitars
That's a cool idea, thanks. There's a flaw though, in that I've just moved house, and we won't have an internet connection for another week

Then how the hell are you here?
Last edited by Symmetry4321 at Dec 10, 2008,
Quote by pawnshopguitars
Really? I looked on there, and most of the threads were about buying classical guitars, or had nothing to do with conductors. Have you got a direct link? I apologise if I have cocked up, I just didn't see anything

dont worry, that guys just probably tryin to be a funny asshole
everyone says searchbar nowadays

got no ideas tho sorry mate, good luck tho!
Gear:
Jackson DK2 Trans Black

Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960AV
Look towards well known orchestras like The London or New York Philharmonic. Their personnel are the best of the best.
it,s like comparing van halens redue of pretty woman compared to roy orbrasons original of the song each conductor will have his own feel of the piece , all songs from the masters have all been transpossed to the guitar nnot only did they not put thes on cd,s like you said they did not even use a guitar considerimg it wasn,t invented yet, if you wanted to learn classical guitar i would suggest ,arron shearer ,he has a few books out ihave studied them all , ihave played classical for 7yrs and metal since day one good luck and keep your fingers close to the fret
Try to avoid anything on the 'Naxos' label. They vary from recording to recording but are usually pretty bad as far as quality goes.

As pwrmax said, try to go for stuff by the well known orchestras.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by zorbozate
it,s like comparing van halens redue of pretty woman compared to roy orbrasons original of the song each conductor will have his own feel of the piece , all songs from the masters have all been transpossed to the guitar nnot only did they not put thes on cd,s like you said they did not even use a guitar considerimg it wasn,t invented yet, if you wanted to learn classical guitar i would suggest ,arron shearer ,he has a few books out ihave studied them all , ihave played classical for 7yrs and metal since day one good luck and keep your fingers close to the fret

I think you've misunderstood; I don't want to learn to play classical, I just want to listen to classical music, because I think some of the arrangements and textures are just genius. Thanks for the input though

And thanks to everyone else who has put in ideas; I'll hopefully have a better idea what to look for.

Oh, and symmetry4321, I'm on here by virtue of a quick skive at work
If you do find some good CDs, could you kindly let me know?

I too am looking for the same as you - recordings of classical music.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
If you do find some good CDs, could you kindly let me know?

I too am looking for the same as you - recordings of classical music.

Yeah no problem; don't know how long that will take though. I'm a total noob in the world of classical
Quote by pawnshopguitars
Yeah no problem; don't know how long that will take though. I'm a total noob in the world of classical

Well, you've got a head start!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO