We clearly lost touch with the last suggestions thread made by Cas (started 5 years ago!) so let us start from scratch.

Recommend improvements or ideas for the forum in here, from ONLY threads to competitions to new stickies and we'll try and implement the ideas if they're good or needed.

AOTM (album or artist)
Beginners lessons
Blues Rec thread
List of helpful threads (linking to ONLYs and the like)
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
we can have a blues and jazz spotlight artist of the month. were you do a short right up of the band/artist. with some recommendations on albums to aquire from them???
* Reserved * I intend to make a list of all the threads that people don't bother to look for, and instead post more SRV/John Mayer threads, could we get that up at the top?
Last edited by ze monsta at Dec 10, 2008,
Yeah I was thinking the suggested listening and the definitive list threads that are stickied should probably be combined and shortened. They're great threads but there's a heck of a lot to look through. I really like the way the Jazz Albums thread is laid out though with the instrument and the levels. We'll all have to have a brainstorm about those.

The thing is it's horrible going into a forum and having to scroll past the stickies to find the normal posts - don't know if anyone else has that same opinion? - so don't want to go sticky-happy.

AOTM - either artist or album is always a nice addition, they usually lose interest quite quickly though so maybe it should be a situation where people can either submit one on a not so defined basis? But then I guess they'll be constantly put off and rarely updated.

Yeah the idea of a link thread is great, in theory, but do you reckon it would stop people from making new ones? I only ask because of the amount of, "I'm new to jazz..." threads that appear despite the stickied recommendations. Might be worth a trial at least.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I know what you mean, that it still won't do anything to discourage stupid threads like:

"wots a gd jazz song?" or "wat is a nice bluesy song?"

But people sometimes ask for slide guitar stuff or delta blues and it's nice to be able to link them to a thread for a little more info.

and we used to have album/artist of the month but it died, it might be worth bringing this back up.
So do you reckon a couple of all-inclusive 'introduction to...' threads would maybe be a good idea? Like one on blues and one on jazz and instead of having these huge lists of artists/albums we have shorter versions of threads like this. It's a fantastic list but maybe something a bit more multi-purpose incorporating things like good places to start listening and learning.

I might ask if the B&A forums can get a locked archive section (don't know if they'd allow it though as there is already a big archive) so threads like that can be kept and linked to.

Yeah the album/artist of the month idea is still a great one, I'd love to see it back too. Will certainly have to try that in the New Year.

RateYourMusic
Mods can edit mods posts if they really want but they have to have access to the forum - unless they're blue or red.

Don't know if the B&A archive will happen (probably not enough info to warrant having so many more sections) but I'm asking if they'll split the current archive up a bit to make it easier to find things in.

RateYourMusic
Well I'd be willing to do an artist/album of the month thing, or help out wherever else I can. I'd like to get involved here again.

"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Artist/Album of the month sounds cool, but when you say Album Of The Month, is it a new album that has recently been released , or could it be say.... Electric Mud by Muddy Waters, eg an album released a long time ago?
Would you guys rather that AOTMs were each posted in the AOTM thread and kept a track of that way (with a link to each individual post from the starting post).

or that they were simply posted as threads - stickied for the duration - and with a link to it from the starting post?

Also, do we need a 'suggested listening; blues and jazz' AND a 'definite list'?

If not I'm considering removing the ancient suggested listening one.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!

Do it.
Quote by meh!
Would you guys rather that AOTMs were each posted in the AOTM thread and kept a track of that way (with a link to each individual post from the starting post).

or that they were simply posted as threads - stickied for the duration - and with a link to it from the starting post?

Also, do we need a 'suggested listening; blues and jazz' AND a 'definite list'?

Pretty please those things suck. They've helped a little but not much. As for the AOTM we should have something like "...and if you like this you might also like..." after the info about that artist/album.
I've been immersing myself into jazz slowly for a while now, and I am a fan of quite a few artists. I come asking about Miles Davis: what album(s) should I get? I already own Kind of Blue and am unsure of what to get next.
Post in the 'suggested listening' thread and we'll answer!
Any chance of a stickied 'Upcoming & Recently Released (Blues & Jazz albums)' thread? It's easy to keep track on the older artists with new albums but I've got no idea about any newer blues artists or their releases. It's not easy to find a really good list on the web either. Possibly one for the suggested listening thread(?), but I feel this may deserve it's own thread to be continually updated. It would be nice to know what's new!
Quote by strawforest007
Any chance of a stickied 'Upcoming & Recently Released (Blues & Jazz albums)' thread? It's easy to keep track on the older artists with new albums but I've got no idea about any newer blues artists or their releases. It's not easy to find a really good list on the web either. Possibly one for the suggested listening thread(?), but I feel this may deserve it's own thread to be continually updated. It would be nice to know what's new!

It sounds like a nice idea but how practical is it? Would we really be able to keep up with new releases?

I'm not shooting it down, just looking for suggestions as to how we could do it?
^ I was thinking of a list or archival style thread which can be continually and openly contributed and added to. I suppose a bit like the official AOTM thread. It would rely on the cool kids of the forum to keep us in the know, but I'm sure most of the forumites know of at least a few new artists (or older acts with new releases!) and keep tabs on them. This would just be a heads-up list for all to share so we can all see what's going on in the current blues album world...
Hopefully it would give some talented local/lesser known blues/jazz artists some well earned exposure :P
Do we really want the releases of local bands on it?
Obviously only decent local blues bands..

It's pretty easy to find out releases of well known acts anyway, but whatever
So do you mean like...

I'd have a stickied thread, say, and people would post in it with new releases and then I'd edit them into a constantly changing 1st post? That might work?

Or something else?
Quote by meh!
So do you mean like...

I'd have a stickied thread, say, and people would post in it with new releases and then I'd edit them into a constantly changing 1st post? That might work?

Or something else?

Yep, that was the idea. Is it worth giving it a go?
Yeah why not, sorry about the delay - uni started this week.

I'll get up tonight or tomorrow and we'll see how it goes.
Would it be premature to suggest that perhaps the 'new releases' thread hasn't gotten off to a flying start?
True. I don't know why though, whether it be no-one knows of any new releases or people just don't want to share the knowledge. I'd offer some if I knew any. I was hoping to find out some possibly exciting new blues bands and albums. Maybe they just don't exist? I've found very little info anywhere, even on the internet about this.

Ah well.
I'll leave it up for a bit, but I just don't think people are up for it that much.
I want to know- are there any who can Tab John Mayer's "Mercy"? It's SICK. Epecially the one he did on July 13th, 08. He's amazing.