Hey everyone.

I've been playing guitar for four years now, and when I mean playing I mean looking at tabs. I'm sick of doing that and so from now on I'd like to actually learn the guitar and not just pick my time away with tabs that aren't going to help me too much. For the past week or so I've been practicing scales and learning the notes on the fretboard, my short term goal being to be able to quickly find a note on the frets, and to transfer melodies in my head into melodies on guitar without having to pick every note in existence to find the right one. My long term goals are to become a proficient guitar player along the lines of my favorite John Frusciante.

My problem right now is that I don't know what direction to take. I know quite a bit about guitar just from soaking in info from years of reading articles and books, but when it comes down to actually learning, I don't know what areas to focus on. I don't know exactly what scales I need to practice right now, what kind of exercises are best for my fingers, and I'm afraid that there's going to be an area of guitar playing that I might miss. I know it's all highly personalized what one needs to learn and in what order, but maybe some of you could give me rough examples of what you learned and when you learned it?

Thank a bunch
Getting a tutor would be a good idea, if not for a few months to get the ball rolling. Im sure he/she will have a pretty solid routine
I would but I don't have the money right now since I'm going to be paying for college classes.
Quote by Ieuanm
Getting a tutor would be a good idea, if not for a few months to get the ball rolling. Im sure he/she will have a pretty solid routine

+1.

Teachers will help immensely.
Member of the 7-String + ERG Legion.
Here is a link to the Lessons page. I'm not going to recommend a teacher, if you can't afford it. You might try to find people in your area to jam with. Jamming with someone better than you is a great way to improve your skill(and it's free).
Quote by Aeroflop
my short term goal being to be able to quickly find a note on the frets, and to transfer melodies in my head into melodies on guitar without having to pick every note in existence to find the right one.

http://tinyurl.com/26a79p

^I own this, but I haven't worked through it yet because I'm still trying to master the basics. But this book/CD comes highly recommended for achieving the goal you stated.

For everything else, have a look at www.justinguitar.com. Lots of free lessons and sample practice schedules to learn the interworkings of playing guitar.
The metronome is saving my life. That plus an instructor and a jam buddy/future co-band member
Here is a link to the Lessons page. I'm not going to recommend a teacher, if you can't afford it. You might try to find people in your area to jam with. Jamming with someone better than you is a great way to improve your skill(and it's free).

It's just that not a lot of my friends who own instruments actually learn to play them. It's difficult to jam with them since they refuse to learn/don't know any theory. Some of them ask me what chord progression was when I mentioned it =\

http://tinyurl.com/26a79p

^I own this, but I haven't worked through it yet because I'm still trying to master the basics. But this book/CD comes highly recommended for achieving the goal you stated.

For everything else, have a look at www.justinguitar.com. Lots of free lessons and sample practice schedules to learn the interworkings of playing guitar.

Thanks for the links. It's been pretty difficult to find a solid beginner's site.

The metronome is saving my life. That plus an instructor and a jam buddy/future co-band member

Yeah the metronome really helps and I think it's a really overlooked piece of equipment from what I've seen with other guitarists.
There are mucho theory lessons in that link I gave you (this very site! *gasp*) Also, look up and d/l TuxGuitar (like GuitarPro, but free). Then make your way to this thread and d/l Steve Vais 10 hour workout(post #40). That helped me out loads when I found it.