Hey guys im a bass player i was just looking for some help on like EQ settings and how they work on amps, in college we have new equipment(not got my own bass amp yet) it got a gain bass upper-mid treble and master knobs. im just wonder if anyone can sorta explain what effect each does and how should i set up like should i have my pickups low and amp settings up higher or should i keep my pick up volumes up and tweak the amp settings.
i aint gonna lie guys im a complete noob so any help u guys can give me is appreciated.
keep the settings on the bass all at 10 (this is just a basic thing, you can tweak it later) put the bass mid and treble knobs up half way. use gain and the master knob opposite of eachother to increase volume and distortion.

it's kinda weird your bass amp has a gain knob, are you sure it's not a guitar amp?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
the way they are set is like gain and all that are all at like the twelve oclock or 0 position and u adjust to like -10 through to 10 thats the same for all of them its defo a bass amp man ampeg.

im just tryin to get a decent sound out the thing but its kinda hard when i donno what im doing and you wat its like when your recording and **** you wanna at least have a decent conversation with the sound guys other than saying to them..."it doesnt sound right" lol

EDIT: heres the equip we got in college http://www.ampeg.com/products/b/b1re/index.html
http://www.ampeg.com/products/b/b410hlf/index.html
Last edited by IamOne at Dec 10, 2008,
Get gain until you start clipping (distorting) on the loudest notes you play. Then, turn it down a bit.

Master is your master volume, fairly simple.

As for the EQ section, set all the controls to the middle. Turn the ultra switch off, which I assume is just a mid boost switch. Now, look around in the bass forum for a gut called thefitz. He has a very good blog on EQing.

However, basically, just moderation. Leaving the EQ flat (everything at no cut or boost) will not be bad at all. However, try turning each knob up and down while playing, and seeing how it influences your sound. Then, have a try at combining them. You should not need to cut or boost more than 3dB. And remember, what sounds good alone may not be good ina band context (e.g. scooped, or heavily cut, mids).

Bass will be how loud your lowest frequencies are, the rumble in your gut when you play.

Mids is a lot of your punch and character. Essential for cutting through in a band context. However, in excess, they can sound honky when playing alone.

Treble affect clarity. Turn it up if you want your notes more clearly defined, and vice versa.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Get gain until you start clipping (distorting) on the loudest notes you play. Then, turn it down a bit.

Master is your master volume, fairly simple.

As for the EQ section, set all the controls to the middle. Turn the ultra switch off, which I assume is just a mid boost switch. Now, look around in the bass forum for a gut called thefitz. He has a very good blog on EQing.

However, basically, just moderation. Leaving the EQ flat (everything at no cut or boost) will not be bad at all. However, try turning each knob up and down while playing, and seeing how it influences your sound. Then, have a try at combining them. You should not need to cut or boost more than 3dB. And remember, what sounds good alone may not be good ina band context (e.g. scooped, or heavily cut, mids).

Bass will be how loud your lowest frequencies are, the rumble in your gut when you play.

Mids is a lot of your punch and character. Essential for cutting through in a band context. However, in excess, they can sound honky when playing alone.

Treble affect clarity. Turn it up if you want your notes more clearly defined, and vice versa.

thanks alot man
My standard EQ setting is this:
Bass: Flat (0)
Mids: Boosted (7ish)
Highs: Bossted (4ish)

I use a Musicman Stingray V and these settings let the bastard growl away, it sounds awesome.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
on my bass amp i keep things around
Drive/Gain: 4-6
Bass: 7-8
Mids: 6-7
Treble:4

^- That's my generic tone that will do most types of music pretty well, but if you're playing faster, more aggressive music you'll probably want to tweak it a little

if you want to do some slapping/popping you might want to put up treble a bit and take mids down a notch or two.
Last edited by silvadolla at Dec 10, 2008,
Quote by ChemicalFire
My standard EQ setting is this:
Bass: Flat (0)
Mids: Boosted (7ish)
Highs: Bossted (4ish)

I use a Musicman Stingray V and these settings let the bastard growl away, it sounds awesome.

You play your bass with no bass? Or by 0 do you mean half...
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
wow started a heated debate i was reading thefitz blogs on EQing last night just gonna read over it a few times til i get my head round the idea

i like a lot of bass on my sound but i find like i get lost in the guitarist sound my tutor was sayingits prob cos we are ocuppying the same frequencies so that kinda makes more sense.
Quote by AthenasGhost
You play your bass with no bass? Or by 0 do you mean half...

Well flat, on my Wawrick Head 0 is at the top
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by IamOne
wow started a heated debate i was reading thefitz blogs on EQing last night just gonna read over it a few times til i get my head round the idea

i like a lot of bass on my sound but i find like i get lost in the guitarist sound my tutor was sayingits prob cos we are ocuppying the same frequencies so that kinda makes more sense.

This can happen a lot of guitarists boost their own bass frequencies and the bass lacks mids.

Just remember that moderation is the key. Extremes you leave you with massive gaps in your sound, and the bits you boost become overpowering.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1