Page 1 of 2
Ok so here's the deal. A week ago, I get a $500 B-52 AT-212 for Christmas. Yesterday, my EMG 81 wasnt working correctly, so I took it to the shop. He saw that it died!!!! So my main pickup, dead. Then he calls me back and says my 85 is dead too. I arleady got my birthday present, and my Christmas present (a digital recorder and an amp, neither of whitch I can use), and I only have $90. What to do, im 12 (13 on Saturday), so i have no job. Should I buy a new guitar???? I dunno, but I hate my life right now.....
Should you buy a new guitar? As opposed to just getting new pickups?

How did the pickups die anyway? It's not just a dead battery is it?
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
no, you just need to buy new pickups.. they're cheap enough and then try to find someone with electrical skills to solder it in for you. If you want it to be an easy fix, buy the same pickups again and just take the old one out and put the new one in the exact same spot.

when he said dead did he just mean the battery tho?

also, since i noticed you have a recorder now, you will need at least one decent mic, like a shure sm57 for micing your amp, and then it can even be used for vocals,

recording is expensive.. i hope you know what you got into
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
no, you just need to buy new pickups.. they're cheap enough and then try to find someone with electrical skills to solder it in for you. If you want it to be an easy fix, buy the same pickups again and just take the old one out and put the new one in the exact same spot.

when he said dead did he just mean the battery tho?

also, since i noticed you have a recorder now, you will need at least one decent mic, like a shure sm57 for micing your amp, and then it can even be used for vocals,

recording is expensive.. i hope you know what you got into

Thats what I was buying until my pickups died. Its not the battery, I need new pickups. I emailed EMG about it.
Buy a microphone and super glue it to your guitar where it sits right near your strings but not in the way of your picking hand. Then jam the other end of the mic cable into your amplifier's instrument jack... with a little bit of effort you can get it to fit. Killer tonez.
With 90 bucks you should at least just get a new EMG in the bridge..

Also, you're awesome for liking Death at age 12, even though your name is bulletrocks..
I don't know if this is the case but is it possible you have a grounding issue somewhere that is causing your pups to fry? Seems odd they would both go like that. Maybe look into some passive pups as well and you can always buy 1 now and one later if you don't have cash for both. You can also check out GFS and rockmonkeyguitars.com for less costly passives.
Quote by Mase947
Buy a microphone and super glue it to your guitar where it sits right near your strings but not in the way of your picking hand. Then jam the other end of the mic cable into your amplifier's instrument jack... with a little bit of effort you can get it to fit. Killer tonez.

You serious?????
Did you get it from a shop? If so you should be able to get them to replace it (or at least the pickups) on the grounds the pickups are faulty...
Quote by bulletrocks522
You serious?????

of course he's not
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I don't know if this is the case but is it possible you have a grounding issue somewhere that is causing your pups to fry? Seems odd they would both go like that. Maybe look into some passive pups as well and you can always buy 1 now and one later if you don't have cash for both. You can also check out GFS and rockmonkeyguitars.com for less costly passives.

Pretty sure EMG's dont need grounding.
As others have said, pickups don't just die randomly. I would never trust GC folk anyways, they don't know what the hell they are talking about. If I were you, I'd take the guitar back and change the battery. If the problem persists, contact EMG, not GC.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Go get new pickups, it'll probably be less expensive.
-Also, I got a B-52 AT100 half stack, it's an amazing half stack, I feel sorry for you that you can't have the tubes
Quote by Meatball200
Pretty sure EMG's dont need grounding.

Right, but they are still connected to the volume and tone pots no, which are grounded. Just making a suggestion as it's odd they would both go bad like that.

thenewguy729 - what do you mean 'he can't have the tubes'? you mean he can't play thru amp?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Pickups don't just die. That's just silly.

Is this shop the one that installed it for you? If not, who did it?

I agree. Both pickups at the same time, when they were both working fine? Unless the guy checking it out butchered something (possibly battery wiring) during removal, I have a hard time believing both failed simultaneously. I'd invest some time & money locating a tech that knows what he/she is doing. Maybe your parents know someone who has experience with electronics?
In the meantime, you could just get some decent passive pickups (or just one if necessary) to hold you over til you can earn a bit of cash. Maybe ask your parents if they have any stuff that needs to be done that they could pay you for...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
^actually sounds like a decent and smart idea.

TS, for now, just throw whatever you can get a hold of in there. even starter guitar pups will sound bitchin' through that amp, so don't worry too much. now if it were your AMP that fried and NOT your pups, then it wouldn't matter what pups you had, cuz they'd all sound pretty similar through a low budget SS amp.

and i concur with the pup situation, they don't just DIE. i've never had such a thing happen with mine, i'd find a tech to investigate.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
How the hell do you break 2 pups? Bad solder, broken switch, battery connector. Its gonna be something simple and relatively cheap to repair.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Pickups don't just die. That's just silly.

Exactly.

Sounds like someone's trying to screw you over.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
bad luck man.
check the batteries i know it sounds silly but they could be the source of the problem

hope it gets fixed soon
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
do you think that maybe shop screwed you?

they saw you're young, and get your EMG's off, than sell them?

I think they can't just die, both in the same time, if you haven't do something with them..
you have all that gear and you're only 12?

lucky bastard!

i don't have much to add to this thread. except that it is pretty uncommon for 2 pickups to fail without just kinda crapping out over time. I'd suspect the problems are lying within other components.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
The guitar shop is ****ting you. Pickups don't just die.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
The real problem is not your pickups.

The real problem is that you lied about your age on your profile so that you could use UG while you were 11. Just throwing that out there.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Oh boo hoo.

Your pickups in your guitar died, life must be so hard for you.

Sorry, It just annoys the hell out of my when people don't realize how privileged they are.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
^lol...what's your new amp gonna be, Mike? thought you had the VK, right? whatever it is you're getting, you should be making good progress with almost a grand there...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by bulletrocks522
Ok so here's the deal. A week ago, I get a $500 B-52 AT-212 for Christmas. Yesterday, my EMG 81 wasnt working correctly, so I took it to the shop. He saw that it died!!!! So my main pickup, dead. Then he calls me back and says my 85 is dead too. I arleady got my birthday present, and my Christmas present (a digital recorder and an amp, neither of whitch I can use), and I only have $90. What to do, im 12 (13 on Saturday), so i have no job. Should I buy a new guitar???? I dunno, but I hate my life right now.....

I have a very hard time feeling bad for you.

Maybe it's the fact that you're ridiculously privileged and complaining because you came across a difficulty.

Maybe.
no
Quote by LucHeart
Hi!~

massive spammage right here.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by bucky_2300
I have a very hard time feeling bad for you.

Maybe it's the fact that you're ridiculously privileged and complaining because you came across a difficulty.

Maybe.

Well guitar is like my life, and I cant play guitar right now!!!! I dont have any money, I cant use my new amp.
Quote by bulletrocks522
Well guitar is like my life, and I cant play guitar right now!!!! I dont have any money, I cant use my new amp.

It's unfortunate that someone has to go through such turmoil in their young life. Not being able to fulfill a hobby because of equipment malfunctions has got to be one of the most enduring challenges a young boy can face in life. I'd be hard pressed to believe there is anyone else in the world who has a life as troubled as yours.

Don't worry, UG is behind you. If you ever need any help, we're here.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
^+152345234

Anyways, playing guitar without an amp is not a sin.

Figure out what is wrong because obviously it isn't the pickups. Use the money you have to buy a Vox AmPlug to have some guitar sounds besides being unplugged.
Quote by mike.h
It's unfortunate that someone has to go through such turmoil in their young life. Not being able to fulfill a hobby because of equipment malfunctions has got to be one of the most enduring challenges a young boy can face in life. I'd be hard pressed to believe there is anyone else in the world who has a life as troubled as yours.

Don't worry, UG is behind you. If you ever need any help, we're here.

Dude, my life is great, im just pissed!!!! Cant you see im exaggerating??? You dont have to be such a dick about it. Sorry if I offended you. Damn dude..... If your gonna be like that, then GTFO.
Quote by bulletrocks522

So play it unamplified. I'm living in university residence right now, and playing through a 10w Marshall MG. I own a Carvin Legacy, which I cannot have where I currently live. Does this suck? Yes. Has it sucked since September? Yes. Will it suck when I am back here from January through April? Yes. Do I complain? No, because that's the kind of thing you have to deal with from time to time.
no
Page 1 of 2