Ok...equipment so far
1. MXR phase 90 pedal
2. Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
3. Digitech grunge pedal

My guitar: Ibanez GRG150 with the stock STD pickups.

Now i just spent a chunk o money on the Vox (its more expensive here...)

I want to know what the next step should be (even if i don't take it immediately).

Option A. Take care of the tuning instability on my guitar by getting a good set of locking tuners (most likely)

Option B. Change a pickup on the guitar.(eh...)

Option C. Get a good overdrive pedal.(sooo tempting. the guy can get me a good deal on a tubescreamer or maybe a dod pedal of some sort)
i'd go for the tuning one.

eventually get em all done, but start with the most necessary first (get tuning sorted, then get pickups sorted, then an overdrive pedal. will make more sense)
So what would be some good tuners at a reasonable price?

(The Ibanez has a pretty crappy tremolo system, so good tuning stability is needed. It would be nice if it could stand a few divebombs as well.)
yeah, the tuning is the most important bit in this particular chain.

for the record, the vox SERIOUSLY opens up when you use a booster or transparent overdrive. i know it's cheap, but the behringer pb100 was my vox's best friend. transparent, pushes the valve. aces!
Yeah im going with the tuning issues first.

So what would a good set of locking tuners be?

Sperzels? Gotoh?

I have no personal exp with locking tuners so i need info.

Quote by pak1351
and then learn how to play

?

Quote by snaredrum

for the record, the vox SERIOUSLY opens up when you use a booster or transparent overdrive. i know it's cheap, but the behringer pb100 was my vox's best friend. transparent, pushes the valve. aces!

I'll look into that, thanks.
Quote by SadClown12
Grunge by digitech is niiice!

That's not an overdrive. Please stop making bad posts.

TS: Get your nut replaced, that's probably what's causing tuning problems. I wouldn't worry about the other stuff until you have something more than a practice amp. Maybe a cheap overdrive, but don't go overboard, it's just a practice amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by SadClown12
i never said it was overdrive...

He's asking for overdrives, tuning stability and pups, not about gear he has.
Quote by SadClown12
But I Never Said It Was An Overdrive...

I'm aware.
Quote by Kevin Saale

TS: Get your nut replaced, that's probably what's causing tuning problems.

I've heard graphite nuts are good...how much would one of those run me?

Also, i dont get how that affects the tuning.
As far as i know, guitars detune because there's slack at the tuner's end and the string slips.
Some info on that would help...thanks.
Well a tube overdrive pedal won't do you to much good. A regular od pedal will be okay but with that amp you don't really need it. I don't understand why you want a distortion pedal like the grunge either? It won't sound that great at all the amp models you have will actually sound better. Really all 3 of your options here don't sound that great... maybe improve your guitar. I'd save up and get a better amp although I realize you just bought that one.
I don't WANT a new Grunge, i already have one. It was for my old, not so good amp.

And the vox hardly sounds like a practice amp to me....
it would be awesome for recording.

But the question is being avoided.

Graphite nut = good?
and why does the guitar detune?
the trouble is, without actually holding the guitar it gets really hard to diagnose problems...

it could be that the tremolo springs are worn out, that the neck isn't attached to the body well enough, that the tuners are pooped, that the saddles are pooped, that the strings themselves are pooped...

you get where i'm going. tricksy stuff!
Maybe this will help:

When i do bend it too hard, it makes like a click noise and it pulls out a little.
This happens only when:
1. I bend like 1 and a half steps or 2 up
2. I use the tremolo to dive down.

Would that help narrow my options?

Also, i string my guitar the (reasonably) proper way. I haven t got the hang of it yet, but its definitely holding tuning better than when i just pushed the string thru and wound it till taut.
try filing the gaps where the strings go through the nut slightly - just a wee bit.
I don't understand this fully, but isnt the nut supposed to be tight?

How would filing help?
Last edited by unet at Dec 10, 2008,
Quote by unet
I don't WANT a new Grunge, i already have one. It was for my old, not so good amp.

And the vox hardly sounds like a practice amp to me....
it would be awesome for recording.

But the question is being avoided.

Graphite nut = good?
and why does the guitar detune?

Sorry I read it wrong. Sounds like a practice amp to me though but it's a decent one. It will do alright if you want to record some demo's. But if you save up and get you a nicer amp you'll be happier.
also, when you've done that (if you choose to) rub a pencil in the gaps, as the graphite lubricates it. like a graphite nut would.

by the way, are you still in mumbai? did you just get up, or is it a really late night for you?

not tight enough to trap the strings as they move back and forth. it depends what guage of string the nut was prepared for, and what you're using. its a nightmare!

if you're getting a 'ping' and the string detunes, it's almost certainly the string getting caught in the nut.
Yeah im in Mumbai.
I woke up early, checking my mail, UG, ML.

Anyway, im using 11 gauge.
So i'll try the graphite in the nut/filing idea.

Then, if it doesnt work, go for locking tuners.

Thanks!
Ahem.

Anyway, my supplier doesn't have Graphite nuts. But he does have bone nuts.

How do these compare, and would they help tuning stability.

Note: I do plan to eventually (soon) get locking Schallers. I'm going to fix my nuts first.
You're nut is cut too small. You said you use 11s? The nut is almost certainly cut for 9s or 10s. That noise you hear is the string slipping, I bet it makes that noise when you tune up as well?

I'd suggest having a pro replace your nut with a bone nut.
Yes it happens even when i tune. Or bend too much.

I just wanted to know that when i DO get my nut replaced by a pro with a bone nut, properly cut, would it give me as much stability as a graphite one would?
Yeah. In fact, if you lube the nut with graphite then it'll be basically the same thing. The bad thing about graphite nuts is they wear out quickly since they're pretty soft.
And apparently, it improves tone and sustain. Is that true?

Also, would it be a good idea to trem block my system? I don't really use my trem bar much.
Would that improve sustain too?
Yeah, blocking the trem would improve sustain, having a properly cut nut will also improve sustain. I don't know if a graphite nut would improve your sustain more than a bone nut, but as long as it's cut right it should be better than what you have.
Alright thanks!

"Recognised by the Official GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008"
Now i know why that's there...