Quick story- Learning guitar and want a bass to complement my education. I generally like the Gibson body shapes (Fender shapes generally don't do it for me) and the thicker necks (I have just-slightly larger than medium hands, but nothing ridiculous). The guitar should be relatively versatile, but mostly for various styles of rock.

Anyway, I did my research and the Thunderbird received crap reviews, which is a shame because the shape and the neck look ideal. I'll be trying it out anyway, but I'd like some alternatives, if possible. Budget for bass only- $300-350ish.

If you have any other questions about what I'm looking for, feel free to ask. Thanks.
I cant really comment on the firebird, never tried one.

But if you like gibson body shape's you can get a LP styled short scale (30") bass from ronod music for $299, http://www.rondomusic.com/albasscsb.html

Ask around on the agile guitar forum, or in the agile thread on here if you want any advice about the bass, but in my opinion it look's quite nice.

It also comes in white.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ChemicalFire

The only problem is that ibanez's don't have the thick neck he wants. They tend to be a little flatter, even on the basses.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
P-basses are versatile....BUT EVERYONE HAS ONE! When I look at guitars, I want something that is unique, but doesn't sacrifice any of the functionality of the guitar. Explorers, Ibanezs (xiphos), and Deans really get the sound I want with the look.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by gtdude114
P-basses are versatile....BUT EVERYONE HAS ONE! When I look at guitars, I want something that is unique, but doesn't sacrifice any of the functionality of the guitar. Explorers, Ibanezs (xiphos), and Deans really get the sound I want with the look.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EX104-Bass-Guitar?sku=515737

What about this?

Dunno how good it plays though.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
So what if "everyone has one"? The fact that it's a popular bass shouldn't turn you off it. And EVERY metal kid plays a Dean these days.

I'm definitely too vain, but the Dean headstock is always an immediate dealbreaker. It's a shame too, because their electrics actually play well. I remember seeing a couple Deans a while ago with the banana headstock and I should have gotten one.
Quote by eminentgonz
I'm definitely too vain, but the Dean headstock is always an immediate dealbreaker. It's a shame too, because their electrics actually play well. I remember seeing a couple Deans a while ago with the banana headstock and I should have gotten one.

Headstocks can be replaced. But Dean basses are not top-quality. I would say p-bass, but that's already been 86ed. Maybe look at Music Man? Dunno if they have anything in your price range, though.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by gtdude114

No offense, but don't be a tool. You could have the most unique bass in existence and your playing would be totally generic. Your playing should be what makes you unique. Steve Harris uses a P-Bass with FLATS and he doesn't sound anything like JJ which used the same combo. And they sound NOTHING NOTHING alike.
I'm going to have to agree with a lot of the previous posts, i don't have P bass, but they are great and if i had the money, i'd probably buy one, hugely versatile. Musicman basses are quite nice too, i just picked up a Musicman sub sterling in white, with a 3 way eq, its not quite a stingray, but honestly i wouldn't recommend a dean
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Quote by gtdude114

There is a reason that loads of people have Fenders and choose them over more radical shapes.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Daniel8488
I cant really comment on the firebird, never tried one.

But if you like gibson body shape's you can get a LP styled short scale (30") bass from ronod music for $299, http://www.rondomusic.com/albasscsb.html

Ask around on the agile guitar forum, or in the agile thread on here if you want any advice about the bass, but in my opinion it look's quite nice.

It also comes in white.

"Don't go and hang yourself. Here, try jumping in a volcano."
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
Why cant people just buy instruments for their tone and feel over looks. I couldnt give a **** if the the body of my bass was a square chunk of wood. If it sounded good and played nice i would buy it.
And there's a reason evreyone has THAT bass. P bass's are really good.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I may be shot for saying this, but the T-bird is at least worth a try...I don't think the feel is what you're looking for, but anything's worth a shot.

If I had to make a suggestion though, I'd say go find a good company that doesn't do Fender copies and try them. Maybe something that MF doesn't sell?

My suggestions are Peavey, Greg Bennett, Laguna, and maybe Canvas, though you don't see them often. Also go check your local pawn shops. You can usually find some...err...unique instruments in there.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 10, 2008,
In another thread we found that a P-bass with body attached the wrong way round (horns pointing to the ground, neck join where bridge would normally be etc. would have better fret access than a T-bird, and probably balance better.

Just a bit of food for thought.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
every beginner has a tbird
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
Quote by gtdude114

Yeah, every bassist owns a p or j-bass. That's why I'm thinking of getting a Fender Jagur Bass. Looks cool and sounds great or so I've heard.
You shouldn't be too concerned with the image of the instrument but rather the sound it makes.

My 2 cents

-Zeelod

Love the Low end
So I tried a Fender Jazz Bass and I liked it. I heard that the P Bass had a bigger neck at the bottom than a J Bass, but I found the opposite to be true.

The Mustang I played was trash, though.
Quote by eminentgonz
So I tried a Fender Jazz Bass and I liked it. I heard that the P Bass had a bigger neck at the bottom than a J Bass, but I found the opposite to be true.

The Mustang I played was trash, though.

wider?
hmmph.
well, it's a great bass, whether or not you are mistaken about parts of it. you sure it wasn't a precision?

but I would greatly suggest the jazz over a t-bird.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
wider?
hmmph.
well, it's a great bass, whether or not you are mistaken about parts of it. you sure it wasn't a precision?

but I would greatly suggest the jazz over a t-bird.

I figured it out... I think the Jazz Bass feels more like an electric neck, which makes it feel more substantial ad comfortable to me.

Anyway, I'm going to get the MIM Jazz.

Thanks all.
If your gonna be playing Rock.

Yea T-bird.

Also, should be a guitarist's favorite Bass, because its quite a round toned instrument.

it fills out the sound incredibally well, blends right in and makes the guitar sound much much much better.

Bassist's don't tend to like this because they are less prominent and its natural tonal placings won't let them bust a mad fill or run and actually here each note and not just a jumble.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Ie, the tone is mud and it gets lost in the mix. A Stingray fills out the space just as well, but you can acctualy hear it
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by eminentgonz
I figured it out... I think the Jazz Bass feels more like an electric neck, which makes it feel more substantial ad comfortable to me.

Anyway, I'm going to get the MIM Jazz.

Thanks all.

ok. that makes more sense. thank you.

keep with that jazz then. it's a great bass.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

one thing to remember is that even if you get a normal looking bass you can always to crazy paint-job and other mods to make it unique. My bass is purple normally but shines green and blue sometimes with the right amount of light. It's called purple neon or irridescent purple. depending on where you read up on it. Mine came stock like that but it's really cool.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
dude for 350 bucks you can buy a lot of basses that are way way better than the tbird you can buy a nice mim fender or an ibanez you just have to check and be the judge
Quote by ChemicalFire
Ie, the tone is mud and it gets lost in the mix. A Stingray fills out the space just as well, but you can actualy hear it

Yes, which is amazing, and I have to say I'm a fan of the stingray for just that.

But I just don't think people should dismiss a T-bird or something similar sounding, because you may not be able to hear it as clear.

It does make everything else sound better.

for some genre's the T-bird would be useless as would alot of other basses, and in some songs all that is needed from the bass is what the T-bird gives.

so, just saying don't just knock it for the fact that its not as clear as a stingray, or even a P-bass, it was made to do what it does, which is fill out the sound in a more guitar oriented genre/song
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"