Hey, so a little while ago i bought a crappy traynor amp for 70 bucks, just to play. Now my dad is always telling me to not bother, and just use a computer program. Sure i tried it, i played it, but... it feels fake! i told him i dont want to. But he stills keep bugging me about it as if he is an advertisement manager.

What do you guys think? Get a better amp or use a computer?
Better amp. It doesn't cost much anymore for a decent amp. I know I'm going to get flamed, but a 15w Marshall is NOT a bad amp. It's a little more expensive, but it's worth it. Just run it by him and see if he'll do half and half with you...and if not, then just make the money to buy one and go out to your local dealer yourself. Also, the MicroCubes (I have one) is a great amp if you're just jamming in your room and not doing anything too crazy. Loaded with FX, and runs on 6 AA batteries if you need it to. Just throwing that out there.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
I use computer modeling effects way more than my normal amp, just seems more convienent to record. Depending on the computer software your using, it should sound better than a $70 amp
a real amp, mic'ed up to a computer - best of both

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
That really depends on what you do with it. For example:

For just practicing at home, I use cakewalk GT pro 3 on the computer

For jamming with the band (or anytime I wanna get loud) I use my 30W tube combo

For playing out, *sigh* I still use the combo, but really would like to have a half-stack

There's advantages to using the computer, I can lay down multiple tracks to get a better practice session, or just practice with the metronome
Of course a real amp is going to be better. But if you want something cheap that will get you off the computer, try a Vox AmPlug headphone amp. They can be had for $39.
Quote by gtdude114
Better amp. It doesn't cost much anymore for a decent amp. I know I'm going to get flamed, but a 15w Marshall is NOT a bad amp. It's a little more expensive, but it's worth it. Just run it by him and see if he'll do half and half with you...and if not, then just make the money to buy one and go out to your local dealer yourself. Also, the MicroCubes (I have one) is a great amp if you're just jamming in your room and not doing anything too crazy. Loaded with FX, and runs on 6 AA batteries if you need it to. Just throwing that out there.

He does not lie. They rawk.
Quote by J.Bass.M

I don't care about the f***ing radius of the f***ing inlay.
Show him this thread, (especially the title).

Im sure that will persuade him to change his mind.
If you're looking to just record at home, invest in a Line 6 POD. Thatw ay you can record through the computer and instert the amp tone later.
Quote by razordimeback
a roland cube 15 or micro cube isn't very expensive and sounds pretty good for the money

Microcubes are good (from what i hear). Peavey Vypyr 15 is also a very cheap 15w amp for $100 (or less). Has a lot of effects (like the microcube). I wouldn't personally get the Cube 15 since it lacks a ton of effects vs the peavey or microcube. Most people start with the Cube 20 or Cube 60 i believe since they have more of the effects and stuff.
Just explain to him that there's a certain type of tone you simply can't generate with even the best computer software. Sound frequencies compress as they travel in addition to the compression from the amp cab/amp casing(if you get a combo) and the speakers, while computer generated tones are sterile and while they can do some cool stuff, will never sound as well as a decent amp rig.

Or get a job, save up some cash, and buy your own.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
If you have the money and want to buy your own amp then that's stupid. Convince him that as a guitarist you should be entitled to proper equipment, and that there's a difference between playing something and liking the tone you get out of it. I know some cheap keyboards are so annoying I can't stand to sit in front of it for more than 10 minutes.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.