im getting a bugera 6260 head for xmas
my parents don't want to spend too much though so i will have to buy a cab

does any cab work for any head?
what would be the best cab for this head?

thanks in advance and sorry for the noob questions
The impedance load need to be equal between the two...so if the head is 8 ohm, you ideally need an 8 ohm cabinet. Safe mismatches are OK, as long as the impedance on the amp is equal or lower than that of the cabinet. For example, a 4 ohm cab can run 1 8ohm cab just fine, with two 8 ohm cabs the load is 4 ohm...the same as the head. You would NOT want to run a 4ohm load on an 8 ohm cab...this would be bad.

EDIT: this head can switch from 4,8,16 ohm loads, so your cab options are pretty open
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 10, 2008,
Yes, any cab should work for the head as long as 1) it has a high enough rated power handling (really you should be going for more than what the head is rated at) 2) you can set it for an impedance that is suitable for your amp (not really a problem in most cases)

Best cab is subjective. I'll take it that you play metal? Marshall 1960s are the industry standard for cabs. Mesa also makes decent cabs as does Orange but they all sound a little different. Even with the same speakers.
i play mostly hardrock/metal

so for example if i bought a 200Wcab and the head is 120w i should be fine
i dont completely understand the ohms business so ill just make sure they are the same in both

EDIT: would it be best to get a bugera cab?
Last edited by PirateXc at Dec 10, 2008,
Quote by eyebanez333
The impedance load need to be equal between the two...so if the head is 8 ohm, you ideally need an 8 ohm cabinet. Safe mismatches are OK, as long as the impedance on the amp is equal or lower than that of the cabinet. For example, a 4 ohm cab can run 1 8ohm cab just fine, with two 8 ohm cabs the load is 4 ohm...the same as the head. You would NOT want to run a 4ohm load on an 8 ohm cab...this would be bad.

EDIT: this head can switch from 4,8,16 ohm loads, so your cab options are pretty open

I wouldn't trust the Bugera output transformers to be robust enough to run a 100% mismatch in either directions. Some amps can handle it and are over engineered to handle mismatches, but most amps are not, and whether it is or isn't putting an unsafe amount of strain on the amp, more often than not it'll result in bad tone.