So yeah, I recently began listening to Rush. As the topic title said, they made my assumption a three-piece is nearly exclusive to blues and pop-punk spontaneously combust and eat itself at the same time, almost as much as Geddy makes me want to switch to bass. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had tips to;

1. Make sed three-piece sound huge.
2. Make sure the bassist has a good voice(I'm not a very good singer, so the bassist is going to be the vocalist) and is up to my absurdly high standards for bassists.

Thanks to any help provided.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Sounds like your problem lies in the people you recruit for your band.

About sounding huge, it depends on what and how you play. Most of the time studios just layer the crap out of songs anyway.

I've been feeling the whole three-piece idea myself.
Similar thread popped up the other day. Solution: Pick good musicians, make sure y'all are tight as hell musically, and stick to your own sonic territory (bass in the low end, guitar in the midrange, cymbals in the highs with the remaining drums filling in their respective spots).

Alternative: Magic.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Three piece tone is about the balance of individual sounds. Lifeson use ES335s so it sounds very wide and open.
And if none of you can sing there's no point whatsoever in being a three piece.
Furthermore, Geddy Lee is a Miracle; I've never heard of anyone else that can sing AND noodle away on bass at the same time.
Rush uses dynamics. I believe we have discussed dynamics on another site before, if you haven't gotten rid of all your old PMs.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
1. Make sure to use lots of open chords on guitar, and have a phenomenal bassist and drummer

2. Make sure you have 3 of the best musicians in the world and that they are all from Canada

3. Spend millions on studio equipment and live show equipment.
Basically, you need to make sure your bandmates are up to your high standards. I too have high standards, I'm constantly pushing myself to get better and better, yet I don't know anybody else - vocals, guitar, bass, drums, that's as dedicated or disciplined as I am. Also, you have to make sure you get along with your bandmates, that's why I left my last band.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
*pointless*
im wearing my RUSH concert shirt today!!! i saw them live in april (ORLANDO) it was A M A Z I N G ! it was my 1st concert so it was great
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Another thing: Pay attention to what Alex plays.

On 80% of his chords, he uses all of the strings. All of them. Suspended chords, etc. Makes his playing sound way bigger.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Primus2112
Another thing: Pay attention to what Alex plays.

On 80% of his chords, he uses all of the strings. All of them. Suspended chords, etc. Makes his playing sound way bigger.

exactly

I honestly think hes the best guitar player for this reason alone....his use of open chords is phenomenal and makes him sound like multiple guitarists.
i like trios, a lot of the greatest bands were trios including

the already mentioned Rush
Cream
Jimi Hendrix Experience
ZZ Top
Nirvana

just to name a few
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
i like trios, a lot of the greatest bands were trios including

the already mentioned Rush
Cream
Jimi Hendrix Experience
ZZ Top
Nirvana

just to name a few

Muse
Quote by Rock Pig
Muse

i dont care for muse but i cant deny the fact that just about everyone else love them, so yes muse too
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
i dont care for muse but i cant deny the fact that just about everyone else love them, so yes muse too

And, case in point, they sound pretty big too.
Quote by Rock Pig
And, case in point, they sound pretty big too.

true
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Motorheads Ace of spades line up was three piece.Get your bassist to be more like lemmy then you'll sound beefed up.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
don't forget the synths/keyboards that they trigger with pedals etc (Watch Xanadu on the R30 dvd to see more of what i mean)...Rush is a damn miracle and that is why they are easily my favorite band. Never will be another one like them. You may check out some of the cover bands on youtube that are three pieces. I'm pretty sure some of them are pretty good. May give you some ideas/encouragement.
Stuff I use:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez RG350DX
Peavey 5150 (Signature)
Marshall 1960AV
Last edited by Kingofold at Dec 12, 2008,
Look at the title - My hands down favorite band.. You can't start a band like them, they are just so unique, but I would definitely listen if you tried, man. I really want a 'new' Rush to come along because, as much as I love them so much, they are getting up there in years, and due to Neils drawbacks of their touring (yes they tour less because of him ), I doubt they'll be touring much longer (I'd guess another 10 years if that).