Hello all, I need some help with a possible Christmas present I "might" be getting.

Here's the thing, I've saved 150$ bucks, and I'm thinking about selling my Epi SG to my cousin for 450$ (plus the case, new strings, calibration, etc), so I would be having a total of 600$

So I was thinking, great! I can spend that cash on maybe a pedal or something like that, since I'm very happy with me Epi Les Paul, which I modded with a pair of Dimarzio Burstbuckers (Sound is really great, very versatile, too), and my 50w Vox VT, which I got as a birthday present. I love the sound of my guitar through this amp.

The problem came here, when my parents suddendly said they knew I had been window-shopping some Gibsons I saw some time ago. Out of nowhere, they said they could give me a hand with the money and get me a Gibson (Probably nothing above 2200)

Thing is, I'm not really sure about this, I've always loved Gibsons, Les Pauls in special, I adore them, and I think their sound is great, I've tried some Gibby Standards and Studios, and I loved them. But, I know Gibsons are overrated, and I know of many complains due to the new "weight-relief" thing, which reduces the guitar's sustain.

Another thing I have in mind is that this is a once-in a lifetime opportunity, since my parents probably wouldn't be happy to spend this amount of money.

All in all, I don't want to waste my money or my parents, so I'm asking what should I do?

Get a Gibson?
Buy something else? (I want no comments about my amp)
Keep saving and use the money later on?

Thank you in advance.

Edit: There are no GC or big guitar stores where I live, and buying online is something I wouldn't want to try.

(Sorry for big wall of text)
Quote by S.Y.N.
Get an ESP

+1
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
i wouldnt personally get a ESP..

maybe a PRS?? or Ibanez.. maybe the JS1000?
:::Gear:::

Ibanez JS100
Marshall MGDFX Halfstack
Roland Cube 30
Line6 X3 Live
Aria Acoustic (idk what make)
I agree with the earlier post.....Get an ESP.

Check the website and look at the Eclipse IIs. Amazing sound, features, sustain, durability, playability, and every ability.

Don't waste money on an expensive Gibson (personally I think they are overrated for the price) when you can get a better guitar for less money. Actually it will be less money depending on the gibson you want...and it sounds like you're going to spend 2 grand, so it will be less expensive.

True though, that ESPs are primarily metal guitars, and the Eclipse II comes with emg active pickups, but CAN play every kind of music. The clean sound that comes from them is amazing. Depends on your amp too.

No matter what you decide to get, I strongly suggest not getting a Gibson, because there are so many awesome guitars out there that can do the same for less money.

=============GEAR==============
Ibanez IJX121
Ibanez RG1527
ESP Ltd MH-1000
Mesa Boogie Rectifier Cab
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head
Line 6 Spider III 150
Yamaha Acoustic
Last edited by xXChimairaXx at Dec 10, 2008,
I doubt you'd want an ESP. I wouldn't recommend getting a studio, and don't spend $2200 on a Gibson (or any guitar really) but if you find one you like for a decent price, than it could be the last guitar you'd ever need.

EDIT: ESPs are primarily metal guitars. Even their Les Paul clones have active pups in them and aren't any cheaper than the Gibsons.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Dec 10, 2008,
Try an Epiphone. xD

For real though, get something else if you don't want an LP or a Gibson.

Who knows, you might something you like better than your LP!
Quote by J.Bass.M

I don't care about the f***ing radius of the f***ing inlay.
get what you feel you like best
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
That's a tough one. Personally, I wouldn't get a Gibson. I'd say "thanks, but I'd prefer to get something more personal" and use the money to buy parts to make my own guitar. Infact, I did this, and now I have a Strat which probably would have cost me £1000 (about $1500) if I bought it premade considering the parts I used, but it cost only about £400 (about $600).

It is wrong to spend over $2000 on one guitar, I think you could spend it much more wisely... and that's coming from someone with Les Paul in their name!