Page 2 of 177
I asked this before in a different thread but was told to go here. Anyway...

I need a readable diagram or some good explination of how I can add a single coil pick up my guitar which has a single humbucking pick up hotwired (no pots). What is the best way to make this addition to the already existing circuit w/o making it causeing impedance problems?
You should probably post some info on those PCB switches that are all over the place now. These:

When I first got started I had a horrible time looking for diagrams for them. I had one, but I lost it, I think you might have posted it for me, Jim.
I just brought my used guitar into the shop,and they said the wiring is all messed. One of the pick up doesn't even work. And the toggle switch aren't connected properly..... I only have so little money, only paid my 50$ fee to get intonation and buzzing fixed up, that's all i can pay.

How do i test if the pick up is even working?

PS: Its a Samick AV3 guitar. Les paul style
http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-SAMAV3.html
If you have a DMM (digital multi-meter), desolder the pup leads from the circuit and set the DMM to somewhere around 20k OHMS measurement (yours may be labled differently). Touch the test leads to the pup wires. If you get a normal reading (from 8k-12k-ish) the pup works. If you get no reading or something crazy (like 200k) the pup is open and either needs rewound or thrown away (rewinds are not cheap).

If you don't have a DMM, solder the pup to a 1/4" jack and plug in. If you get sound, she works.

You might as well get a new toggle. They're around 7 bucks. You can try to bend the leaves back into contact (when the switch is in the middle position), but this is a temporary fix at best. Those switches all suffer from the same design flaws.
Hey, guys... any suggestions for wiring a HXH, 1V - 1T, 3-w guitar??

I'm thinking replacing the tone pot for a push-pull and split coils.

Any other ideas? And the diagram for it...

THANKS!
Noob Grade Gear...
Ibanez GRX20 GFS Pups, Digitech RP3, Vox Satchurator, Behringer DD400 Delay, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ, Behringer GMX110
Total lack of skills and not into broot4Lz anymore
@Warpo

Theres a load of links on the 1st page. Did you look on the Seymour Duncan site as I know they have the exact diagram you're asking for???
Quote by bellerophon
@Warpo

Theres a load of links on the 1st page. Did you look on the Seymour Duncan site as I know they have the exact diagram you're asking for???

Yeah, I did... I actually have the ones from DiMarzio and SD.

I should rephrase... which wiring option would you suggest? The one you'd wire your guitar with.
Noob Grade Gear...
Ibanez GRX20 GFS Pups, Digitech RP3, Vox Satchurator, Behringer DD400 Delay, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ, Behringer GMX110
Dude, I didn't think to check the site for the wiring diagrams! I found the correct way that my DAX should have been installed on there (although I do have the paper with the exact same info on it that came with the pickup XD). I'm gonna get my friend to fix it tomorrow. Thanks, Jim!
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by bellerophon
I wired my 2 HB 1V 1T push/push with this diagram:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w_1pp

Push/push was on my Tone pot.

I rarely use the coil-split tbh even though my bridge HB was bought specifically to split.

Thanks, bro... much appreciated!
Noob Grade Gear...
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/aoi/index.html
can any one figure this one out?
Also i have a guitar with two duncan humbuckers a three way switch and two volumes any one know how i can turn them into push/pull coil splits of their individual pickups?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
@edge11

If you look on the first page it has links to many sites. Including Seymour Duncan's. They have a wiring diagram page with the exact configuration you're after. If you still get no joy after looking there then post again explaining that and if possible why it didn't help. Then we can help you.
hth

I've just been told by someone that this setup, while using a shielded cavity will create a "ground loop, which isn't good". Electronics experts? Assistance?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
That's right, chuck. Remove the wires on the pot and switch casings to fix that problem.

A ground loop is where the components (say, pots) are grounded via a wire on the casings connecting them all plus the foil/shield in a cavity. The components are already in contact via the foil, so wires soldered to their casings are not necessary and will only pick up noise.

Basically, a ground loop is where the component is grounded 'twice'.
So could I just not shield the cavity and still do it this way?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Well that saves me some foil and super 77.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
hey guys ive run into a problem with my guitar mod. so i bought a SX strat replica and am switching out the P-ups but the selector switch in the SX has only 7 terminals on it, and all the pictures that ive seen trying to explain how to wire a selector switch all show 8 terminals on their selector switches. So im asking help from all you pros on how i should wire up my selector switch pics like the ones below would be helpful but explaining the 7 terminals instead of the 8. (hopefully this post made sense lol)

Common switch pinouts:

QUOTE]
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
The one in the middle is the common, more than likely. It is probably one of those switches that have the poles connected internally, thus only 1 common lug instead of 2.
Quote by bellerophon
@edge11

If you look on the first page it has links to many sites. Including Seymour Duncan's. They have a wiring diagram page with the exact configuration you're after. If you still get no joy after looking there then post again explaining that and if possible why it didn't help. Then we can help you.
hth

Thanks for answering the second part of my question and i still need help with my first part, and I checked on the Duncan page and didn't find the second part, so a lin would be appreciated.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
hey guys ive got a couple more questions. first in this picture ( http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0117602A/SD0117602APg2.pdf ) at #20 it shows a solder lug, how important is that? can i get by without it? and second being on the volume pot on the farthest right terminal is that a connection that goes from the far right terminal back to the top of the volume pot?
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
The solder lug is just to ground the points that connect to it. As long as those points are to ground it'll be fine. (Just easier to put a terminal there to be screwed into the body).

Yes the right-hand vol terminal is grounded to the top of the vol pot.

hth
does anyone have a wiring diagram for 3 humbuckers that are all coil split?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
I'm planning on replacing the pickups in my squier strat with 3 stacked single coils (air norton s, fast track 1, and super distortion s) any suggestions on an interesting, practical wiring setup that I can use with the current 5 way switch?

maybe something similar to the ibanez JS series or music man John petrucci setup
Founder of the "Foundation to replace Jacob's stolen phone foundation of America" PM me to contribute to this noble cause, no donation is too small, or large for that matter
Last edited by jacobs at Dec 20, 2008,
push pull pots with coil tap
or push pull tone pot so you can have a different capacitor and get a different tone
or stacked 250k - 500k pot so you can switch between the two
or 3 mini switches on/ off switches (1 for each pickup) instead of the 5 way switch...
thats all i can think of

Quote by conor1148
does anyone have a wiring diagram for 3 humbuckers that are all coil split?

Use this diagram: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHHH3T2201
With this on every pickup before it goes to the switch (chose one): http://www.has-sound.com/wiring_diagrams/CoilSplit.jpg
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Dec 20, 2008,
I'll contribute with the diagram I was referring to, the ibanez JS 1000, I absolutely love this setup

anyone know how it could be modified with three humbuckers and a five way switch?

Founder of the "Foundation to replace Jacob's stolen phone foundation of America" PM me to contribute to this noble cause, no donation is too small, or large for that matter
Last edited by jacobs at Dec 20, 2008,
I was just thinking this (really) needs to be on the 1st page because it seems the search button is broken...

...it isn't???

Oh well, now it just looks like a shameless bump...
Assuming you just want normal strat (N /N+M/ M /M+B/ B) options then just wire the 3 hot outs from the HB's to the same place the originals were on the 5 way.

To split a 3rd HB you'd need another on/on switch like the push/pulls here or remove the high pass filter (cap and wiring) and use that switch.

You'll then either:
a) decide which 2 to split together (as shown on the diagram tone switch already) or
b) use 3 push/pulls, 1 for each HB.

You have 3 pots on a Squier already so I'd go for the 3 separate split options (and if you want it, put in a toggle for the high pass).

3 separate splits on a 5way switch gives you... 14 pickup options I reckon.

Note: the diagram isn't brilliantly clear but the 2 top pins on the tone push/pull go to ground with the capacitor. The green and bare from each pup go to ground and the black and white are soldered together at the pp switches middle lugs. Red = hot out.

Any more q's just ask if you need it I can draw a diagram (but my drawing sucks... )
Couple questions on that JS wiring diagram....

1.- WTH is a High-pass filter??
2.- On the pots... What do they mean with 500k-W and 500K-D. I understand that 500K is the pot value but what about the other letter?
3.- Should it work with any 3-way switch??

Thank you!!!
Noob Grade Gear...
The high-pass keeps the high frequencies when volume is turned down.
Any 3 way on/on/on switch can be used.
The letters? no idea... maybe Ibanez part codes for Log/Lin or W ratings
I have a cheap strat copy (cruiser by crafter ) and I'm trying to find a diagram that replaces the tone pots (which I never use- they are always turned fully up) with independent volume controls for each pickup- similar to Gibson guitars. Has anyone actually done this before? cos google comes up with nothing, as do the links at the beginning of the thread

ta in advance
Quote by bellerophon
The high-pass keeps the high frequencies when volume is turned down.
Any 3 way on/on/on switch can be used.
The letters? no idea... maybe Ibanez part codes for Log/Lin or W ratings

mmhhhh.... I'm loving that wiring... I think I'm going to get two push/pull pots to wire my new GFS pup's.

Man, you may love or hate Satch's tone... but he really knows his gear. That set up is clever. Not complicated to use and a hell of a lot of options. Damn...
Noob Grade Gear...
Quote by bjh345
I have a cheap strat copy (cruiser by crafter ) and I'm trying to find a diagram that replaces the tone pots (which I never use- they are always turned fully up) with independent volume controls for each pickup- similar to Gibson guitars. Has anyone actually done this before? cos google comes up with nothing, as do the links at the beginning of the thread

ta in advance
Have a look at the second diagram on this page:

http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm

The 'Gibson' method. Just remove the tone pots from the diagram and connect the SCs to vol pot as shown and the vol pot out to your 5way switch where the SC originally went. The 5way out then goes to the hot on the jack. Let me know if you need any more help.

Quote by Warpo
mmhhhh.... I'm loving that wiring... I think I'm going to get two push/pull pots to wire my new GFS pup's.
I've got a GFS Crusader in the post ( ) can't find any info on it other than it's 16k ohms I'm getting an Irongear Hammerhead and then using the series/split/parallel with phasing wiring from SD's site to a 3way.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=series_spl_parallel-w-phase

That's going to be a fun wiring job