Page 4 of 177
^ PM whoever said that, or an 'expert' from these parts, or a mod, if its urgent. I doubt anyone will answer it here.
@jacobs

Is this what you're after?

The wires going to positions 1 & 5 pass through a bypass DPDT on/on switch which is normal when down but when pulled up sends neck and bridge direct to vol in or jack tip. If you have position 2, 3 or 4 (ie mid pickup) selected and engage the bypass, you'll get all 3 pickups on at once. I've not specified a type of 5way or vol/tone options because I don't know what you have.

EDIT: wire colours just for ease of understanding. Your colours will vary.

You could replace the DPDTs with on/on toggles and the bypass could be SPDT on/on to allow 1 pickup to bypass the selector switch (ie neck or bridge always on).

Hope that helps.

@ginjaninja

the entire point of this thread is to answer wiring questions (unless I missed a memo ) so it's in the right place.
Last edited by bellerophon at Dec 30, 2008,
jacobs: I asked what pups you'd be using. You never responded.

SVStee: The JP wiring is on the SD site linked on the front page. I don't know any mods, etc. to it...

Sam: Yes.
I need some help please!!!
i wanna do this wiring on my guitar

put a piezo pickup, and a blend knob b/w magnetic and piezo.

i dont want to drill any holes on my guitar unless i really have to, is there any way i could "substitute" the other knobs with some push pull pots?

like..

Pot #1: down/volume; up/blend
Pot #2 :down/tone; up/piezo blend
Quote by Invader Jim
jacobs: I asked what pups you'd be using. You never responded.

SVStee: The JP wiring is on the SD site linked on the front page. I don't know any mods, etc. to it...

Sam: Yes.

sorry man, I'm thinking a dimarzio air norton s in the neck and a tone zone s in the bridge, I haven't decided on a middle pickup yet
Founder of the "Foundation to replace Jacob's stolen phone foundation of America" PM me to contribute to this noble cause, no donation is too small, or large for that matter
yeah, whatever I decide on, it'll be a passive single coil
Founder of the "Foundation to replace Jacob's stolen phone foundation of America" PM me to contribute to this noble cause, no donation is too small, or large for that matter
all three are passive
Oh, ****. I got you confused with someone else...

How many volumes and tones? Also you'll need to gimme some time to figure out the switcing. Lots of switches confuse me so it takes me a bit to get everything organized in my head. I think I have ADD of some kind...
well, I'm putting them in a strat so I'd like to keep it one volume and two tone
ok, thanks a lot!

edit: is there a reason there isn't anything on positions 2 and 4?
Last edited by jacobs at Dec 30, 2008,
so jim heres my wonderful scenario.

i want 2 tone, 1 volume. HH config, with a 3 way switch. which is this
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T1201

now based off this,
i want my neck pup coil tapped, wired to a toggle.
an out of phase switch, on a toggle.
and a killwitch, toggled
EDIT: oh and the emg pa-2
http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/EMG-PA2.pdf

thank you for the help sir.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Dec 30, 2008,
You can actually go to SD and use their diagrams as puzzle pieces to make your scheme.

Or do you want me to do it? As you know, making and posting diagrams is a pain in the nuts, so I try to avoid it when possible.

If you want one, though, ok.
Quote by Invader Jim
You can actually go to SD and use their diagrams as puzzle pieces to make your scheme.

Or do you want me to do it? As you know, making and posting diagrams is a pain in the nuts, so I try to avoid it when possible.

If you want one, though, ok.

yea, i just edited something in btw.
if you wouldn't mind, that would be great.
otherwise, you can just point me in a general direction and i'll make it, and you tell me whats wrong with it, till it's right
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Thank you sir, i appreciate it

Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by jacobs
ok, thanks a lot!

edit: is there a reason there isn't anything on positions 2 and 4?

2 is just a combination of 1+3 and 4 is just a combination of 3+5. Switches differ and some require electrical contacts made via wiring and some are combined via the mechanical movement of the switch contact.

Easiest thing to do is just follow the wires that are on your switch at the minute. Nothing changes in that regard, so just copy that wiring with your new pickups' 'hot' outs.

The only difference comes in the routing of neck and bridge 'hot' through the DPDT for bypass and the 2 wires normally taped together for series HB being able to be grounded via the other DPDT (thus shorting 1 coil and sending the hot coils opposite wire to ground to complete that circuit). If you want I can talk about North and South coils but that might just be confusing.

You could, if you want to use 3 pots (1 vol 2 tone), use 3 pp DPDT switches and have the ability to split the neck or bridge independently. Just wire the green and grey from the diagram to separate DPDTs. Doing that would give you... about 17 switching options I reckon (although the 3rd DPDT would only give 4 extra = HSS,SSH, H X S and S X H).
Last edited by bellerophon at Dec 31, 2008,
ok, i did the wiring on my guitar....it didn't work!!! the only positions that work are the bridge and bridge+neck and they only use a single coil bridge, the middle pickup, and a single coil neck. what did i do wrong?? i did it exactly as the diagram.

PS: the wiring diagram is on the previous page
So guys, I want to do an interesting wiring job on my Les Paul now that I ordered new pickups. I want to have two volumes, two tones, all push/pull and a mini-toggle. I want to pull the volume pots to coil-split their respective humbuckers; I also want the two coils that are used in the splits to be reverse polarity so if I combine both coil-split pickups it's humbucking. I want the tone pots to change their respective humbuckers from being wired in series with themselves to being wired in parallel with themselves when pulled. I want the mini-toggle to change the combined position on the 3-way selector from being wired in parallel to series. Problem is, this is complicated **** and I don't know how to do it. Anyone up to it? I've already drawn up a rough diagram of the parts involved with Seymour Duncan color coding of the leads from the pickups to make life easier. I'll take a crack at it and post my attempt if I don't get an answer first.

Last edited by Mike-T93 at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by Mike-T93
I want the mini-toggle to change the combined position on the 3-way selector from being wired in parallel to series. Problem is, this is complicated **** and I don't know how to do it.
yes, complicated shiz, indeed. just series/parallel for the HBs OR just coil splits for the HBs is easy. but combine the two together and it adds to the complexity. it CAN be done, but it takes serious effort to do it properly without causing dead combinations.

and you'll want to change the minitoggle to a DPDT if you want to put the HBs in series with each other.

and no, i won't do the work for you. but iirc, there is a somewhat similar design to what you're asking for on the guitarnuts2 forum. it's an improved Jimmy Page wiring scheme, but it does not do parallel coils on each HB. still, it would be a good starting point.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Oops on the mini-toggle, thanks. I'm trying to figure it out on my own right now. I figure it's best that I understand it as well as possible.
Ok, I gave it a crack. Is this correct? I couldn't figure out how to make the mini-toggle make the series wiring only work when the 3-way selector is in the middle position, so I made it direct to the jack. Seems useful for a soloing boost, anyway. Would I be correct in assuming if both pots are pulled on a pickup it'll kill that pickup and the mini-toggle will act as a killswitch because every wire will be grounded? Isn't it possible to make the volumes independent of each other even when in the combined position if I reverse the input and output on one of the volume pots? Maybe reverse which coil is being split on each pickup, I believe I drew it so I'd get the slugs that can't be adjusted on the bridge.

Last edited by Mike-T93 at Jan 3, 2009,
@Mike-T93

Unless I'm hugely mistaken your DPDT is just mirroring the selector switch at present. You could use it to get series in the bridge or centre position when using the modified diagram below (the neck position would be out of circuit when 'on'). Never tried this wiring layout myself.

I just moved the ground wire on the Bridge and the hot from the neck to be wired in series by the DPDT when 'down' and normal when 'up'.
p.s. - I noticed you reversed the coils on the neck but they would still be parallel at the switch (you probably knew that anyway right?)
Hope that helps you slightly.
Yeah, I reversed them on purpose so I could get humbucking in the combined double-split position. Also, thanks, I didn't realize that's how it would need to be done. Might Invader Jim have some advice as well?

Edit: I'm taking a printout of bellerophon's version the diagram to my local luthier today when I go to my guitar lesson; he should know if everything's good or not.
Last edited by Mike-T93 at Jan 3, 2009,
So, my luthier said he's not particularly good at reading diagrams, but that it outta work. I'm going to have to install the mini-toggle where there's a change in the depth of the cavity, though. Would it be best to stick a little block of wood in there with wood glue then drill through or try to route the higher level down? I can take a pic if it's hard to understand from reading.
Hey guys, is there any particular place where I should or would put a ground? I'm also curious as to where I'd solder the bridge ground to. Should I just solder it to the base of the volume pot, or...?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Funny, here's a pic of my properly grounded guitar that should answer that. Anyway, I want to put the mini-toggle between the four pots. But, as you can see in the second picture, the routing is split-level between a couple of the pots and there's a little bit of wood sticking up. Now, should I try to route that all the way down to the lower part of the split-level or should I glue a small piece of wood in and just route down to the upper level? It's a carved top Les Paul type guitar, but the angle of the carve isn't steep where the pots are.

@Raijouta: It depends on what guitar we're talking about. Strat grounds are soldered to the tremelo claw on the back of the guitar, on LP's it's to the TOM through a small hole in the electronics cavity. As far as the other end of the wire, the volume pot is where grounds usually go. Just check the diagram for you setup to see where everything needs to go.

@Mike: I'm not sure what you mean with the block of wood, but if it were me I would find some way to take the wood out till you get to the lower layer.
Last edited by chip46 at Jan 4, 2009,
The pot on the bottom is on wood that's routed deeper than the one on top and the switch needs to go right between the two. So I should route to the lower level rather than fill part of the lower level so I can route just to the upper level? Or should I just try to measure the thickness of the guitar at that point and make sure it's thick enough to route there?
Can someone give me a diagram for a H-H configuration with coil taps.Two Volume knobs, a Tone knob, three way switch for pickups and LP style switch to use as a killswitch.
Thanks in advance
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
I've got a weird problem. I've been working on my nephews Epi SG Special. The bridge pickup quit working. I heated up the solder on the connections and it started working again. The next day it was dead again. I once again heated the solder and it worked but it was dead again the next day. So I clipped the wires cleaned the old solder off and soldered everything with fresh solder. It did the samething again the next day. I decided to just put the original bridge pickup from my Explorer in it and it has worked perfectly for a week so far. Does anybody have an idea what's wrong with the original pickup?