Page 1 of 2
Anyone here ever lived/been to Italy? I am going to be living there next summer for a few years. Near Trento.

What is there to do around there? Where would you recommend to go? Doesn't necessarily just have to be in Italy.

What is it like? Basically anything you know about itally from personal experience or from a friend, i want to know! Anyone can google or look it up in a book. I'm living here in japan and i can tell you...books didn't give me any sort of a feel for what it would be like to live in japan.
its warm.... you can learn parkour without getting cold..... also their is a tree and a plant other than that i dont know.

btw dont go in the tall grass

and dont smell the flowers their an evil drug to make you loose your mind
Quote by snipelfritz
I used to think that way. Then, I went through high school without getting laid once.

well u did it wrong.
I spent a week in rome with my girlfriend last year,

it's nice, great food (if you're at the right places, not the tourist sh1t), friendly people (alltho their english is horrible, and I don't mean spelling mistakes and stuff, just... lack of english in general).

If you are are like me, dressed in black with bandshirts (death metal bands mostly) you'll be in for a shock tho, I saw a group of "metalheads" standing at a local mall and I tought, meh I might have a chat (needed to know where I was anywayz )

coming closer I saw the writings on their bandshirts....

nirvana, tokio hotel, linkin park... basicly all the things people would laugh at if you wore one of them shirts to a local gig (i'm not saying these bands are ridiculous, they just aren't as brutal as most bands in my region, not by a long shot ) I was simply shocked, nirvana (or tokio hotel/linkin park whatever..) + spikes +pierced eyebrows just looks... wrong.

after some research I found out they are still quite conservative (what do you expect when you live within some miles of mr pope).

Going out kinda sucks as well, people try to get you inside every club you pass, and when you finally get inside a cocktail bar, you find out they only have 4 cocktails of which 2 are concidered long drinks down here.

wouldn't want to live there, but its a beautifull country, and i'm thinking to go back next year.
umm ok i live right next to italy and i hate italians, so my opinion is probably going to be useles... oh well

all the italians look weird... guys look like faggots with their hair (http://www.cinechance.com/italian-actor-model-Manuel-Roy-pic-1.jpg)
and chiks wear those fookd up glasses (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/119/316806731_a73df98e5e.jpg?v=0) -> these are OK, you know... :P

well anyway.. italians talk too much... or at least they talk too fast... Lots of them owns a dog or something they spend time with, because the society is so developed that all the couples get divorced...

lots of garbage out on the streets, because nobody wants to take it away.-...
you might expect to see mafia a lot, but it's not like in the godfather movie...

ummm places to see... go and check rome, venice, florence and sicilia.... those places are just amazing.. i admit

oh and yeah ... go and see slovenia to... no italian city could compare to slovenia :P

Regards, Serjem
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Its a beautiful country no doubt. I've been there a few times and I'm going again with some friends in February.

Naples and the surrounding area is a great place to visit particularly. The view from the top of Mount Vesuvius is priceless if you can be bothered to make the trek.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Well I'm Italian! I live in Milan and I think that some things that numinis said are right, like guys with those band tees trying to looking hardcore and "alternative"...can't say the same things for cocktails, here in Milan you usually get to choose from at least 20 different cocktails. For the politics well, it's not our fault (at least not mine) if we have who we have as a president, right wing people here are often plain ignorant, and I have to admit that this is one of the things that saddens me most.

Just one question: dcvlehr, are you Japanese? I'm asking you cause I'm studying Japanese at the university right now

If you have any questions just post 'em, I'll try to help you!
Last edited by lkZ at Dec 10, 2008,
im quater a italian but iv only been there twice well its kinda hot and the food is so awesome.
Quote by lkZ
Well I'm Italian! I live in Milan and I think that some things that numinis said are right, like guys with those band tees trying to looking hardcore and "alternative"...can't say the same things for cocktails, here in Milan you usually get to choose from at least 20 different cocktails. For the politics well, it's not our fault (at least not mine) if we have who we have as a president, right wing people here are often plain ignorants, and I have to admit that this is one of the things that saddens me most.

Just one question: dcvlehr, are you Japanese? I'm asking you cause I'm studying Japanese at the university right now

No, i'm just an american military guy : / . I do have quite a few japanese national friends though. Anything you wanna know about japan?

Oh and i do have a question. Wht is the most common mode of personal transportation there? Vespas? :P
Quote by dcvlehr

Oh and i do have a question. Wht is the most common mode of personal transportation there? Vespas? :P

Dunno about that but there is alot of them scooters.
Quote by dcvlehr
No, i'm just an american military guy : / . I do have quite a few japanese national friends though. Anything you wanna know about japan?

I see !

Here scooters are quite common (damn me I haven't got one) for many reasons: the traffic in the big cities is heavy and the gas is expensive. I do move a lot by buses or subway, but I think that if you manage to get a scooter, then it would be best for you.

If anything about Japan comes to my mind I'll ask you, thanks!
Quote by lkZ
I see !

Here scooters are quite common (damn me I haven't got one) for many reasons: the traffic in the big cities is heavy and the gas is expensive. I do move a lot by buses or subway, but I think that if you manage to get a scooter, then it would be best for you.

If anything about Japan comes to my mind I'll ask you, thanks!

Oh, another question. How about the exchange rate? Is Italy using the Euro? I assume they would.
whyvern lives in italy. He probably won't see this though. He mainly just posts in the punk forum.
Yes, we are using the Euro. Google to see the exchange rate, I think it's about 1 EUR = 1,4 ~ $
Quote by lkZ
Well I'm Italian! I live in Milan and I think that some things that numinis said are right, like guys with those band tees trying to looking hardcore and "alternative"...can't say the same things for cocktails, here in Milan you usually get to choose from at least 20 different cocktails. For the politics well, it's not our fault (at least not mine) if we have who we have as a president, right wing people here are often plain ignorant, and I have to admit that this is one of the things that saddens me most.

There was one thing I didn't like in italy tho, in the big cities I saw about 5 handbags being stolen every day, are there so many small criminals in italy? I guess this must be a huge issue cuz most of the time I saw police hitting the thief untill he was lying on the floor bleeding a couple of times I couldn't imagine that happening over here, police simply cant do that in belgium. is there some kind of 0-tolerance policy on this?
Quote by lkZ
Yes, we are using the Euro. Google to see the exchange rate, I think it's about 1 EUR = 1,4 ~ $

Just googled the rate

1 U.S. dollar = 0.770594128 Euros
I went like 3 times when I was younger with my family, I can't remember it that well, but I liked pretty much everything about it. It was warm with good food...and people always commented on my hair because it's less common in countries like that
Quote by dcvlehr
Anyone here ever lived/been to Italy? I am going to be living there next summer for a few years. Near Trento.

What is there to do around there? Where would you recommend to go? Doesn't necessarily just have to be in Italy.

What is it like? Basically anything you know about itally from personal experience or from a friend, i want to know! Anyone can google or look it up in a book. I'm living here in japan and i can tell you...books didn't give me any sort of a feel for what it would be like to live in japan.

You're gonna live there for a summer that's a few years long?
GO YANKEES!
Quote by Yanks4Life92
You're gonna live there for a summer that's a few years long?

Meant that id go there next summer, and live there for a few years.
Living there at least 2 years just like i did here in japan.
Last edited by dcvlehr at Dec 10, 2008,
Quote by numinis
There was one thing I didn't like in italy tho, in the big cities I saw about 5 handbags being stolen every day, are there so many small criminals in italy? I guess this must be a huge issue cuz most of the time I saw police hitting the thief untill he was lying on the floor bleeding a couple of times I couldn't imagine that happening over here, police simply cant do that in belgium. is there some kind of 0-tolerance policy on this?

Well I'm twenty and I saw a thief stealing a woman's bag just 1 time, not in Milan. There is a criminality problem, more than in central Europe but not so huge, I'm sorry that you had these experiences here...in which city were you? About the zero-tolerance policy, actually I didn't hear anything about this...I hope it was an isolated episode, but especially if the thief was not Italian I'm afraid that it's a "custom" of the Italian policemen, of beating non-Italian thieves...kind of a racial thing, I suppose. Totally not happy nor comfortable about it, of course.
Quote by IDread
Naples and the surrounding area is a great place to visit particularly. The view from the top of Mount Vesuvius is priceless if you can be bothered to make the trek.

I loved Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii but I didn't think that Naples was a very nice city. My opinion probably isn't as valid as yours since I was only there for a short period of time.
How friendly are the locals to foreigners? Does a large majority of the population speak somewhat good english? I took a few years of spanish i i've heard that spanish and italian have some similarities. Nothing like coming from english to japanese lol.
Quote by dcvlehr
How friendly are the locals to foreigners? Does a large majority of the population speak somewhat good english? I took a few years of spanish i i've heard that spanish and italian have some similarities. Nothing like coming from english to japanese lol.

Italian and Spanish are so similiar its ridiculous. If you know one fairly well then it shouldn't be too hard to catch on.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
EAT ok the best restaurants are in litlle side streets because those aren't tourist places, eat, swim. I did a tour of toscana and it was B E A utiful, E-cookie for whoever get's the reference!
Quote by jim morrison714
I loved Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii but I didn't think that Naples was a very nice city. My opinion probably isn't as valid as yours since I was only there for a short period of time.

Its true that Naples itself is kind of crap but if you travel further round the bay you get to some of the most beautiful towns of Italy in my opinion.
Last time I stayed in a small hotel in the hills above Sorrento and from the hotel balcony you had an absolutely perfect view of the whole bay of Naples.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by Hanzi_G
Italian and Spanish are so similiar its ridiculous. If you know one fairly well then it shouldn't be too hard to catch on.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.
A friend of mine is Italian and speaks fluent Spanish. He says this is a complete myth. I've got Spanish GCSE and am currently learning Italian, they are not similar.
hello
Quote by thedefrockednun
EAT ok the best restaurants are in litlle side streets because those aren't tourist places, eat, swim. I did a tour of toscana and it was B E A utiful, E-cookie for whoever get's the reference!

Easy, Jim Carey
What about snowboarding? The snowboarding here in japan is pretty awesome. Are there any sweet snowboarding places close by? The alps maybe?
Quote by opc100
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.
A friend of mine is Italian and speaks fluent Spanish. He says this is a complete myth. I've got Spanish GCSE and am currently learning Italian, they are not similar.

I was in Italy and one of the guys I was with was Puerto Rican. He spoke with ease to the Italians. He said "You just speak Spanish and sing a little".

Italy was great but the beer sucked.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Italy was great but the beer sucked.

Before I gave up drink, I had some experience of Italian beer and it was generally excellent.
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
I guess the Naples bay area as nice, but there was a huge strike going on when I was there, no public upkeep like cleaning the streets, emptying the trash or anything, making the whole city smell like decaying cat food. Also the suburb ghettos on the way there were pretty nasty, and there were lots more of beggars and such than in Rome.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']I guess the Naples bay area as nice, but there was a huge strike going on when I was there, no public upkeep like cleaning the streets, emptying the trash or anything, making the whole city smell like decaying cat food. Also the suburb ghettos on the way there were pretty nasty, and there were lots more of beggars and such than in Rome.
Strike must have started in the mid- eighties cause that's what it was like when I was there.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I'd have to say my favorite thing about Italy is the pizza. So my advice to you, find a pizza place, and only leave it on special occations. But really the weathers nice, foods great, people are friendly and the women are fine

That's all you need to know

We we're also on a tour group thing part of the time with 50 people and no one got pick pocketed, so it might happen it's not that big of a deal.

The one real negitive is in big cities there are always africans trying to sell you purses, bow 'n arrows, or elephant statues... why the fu(k I'd need a bow 'n arrow in Vienice??? Other then using it to shot the a$$hole who sold it to me.
Quote by opc100
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

I speak Italian and I'm currently studying Spanish, and they're structure and vocab is extremely similiar. I think I'd know. I'm a Modern Languages Major.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Quote by jim morrison714

I loved Naples. People label it a noisy, smelly tip of a city but I loved the energy and character of the city. I loved wondering down the back alleyways, visiting the empty churches and swimming in the harbour and eating the amazing pizza.

Places like Rome, Venice and Florence are more affluent and more attractive but they also are also way too touristy. Rome just felt like I was in a giant museum. From what I have experienced I prefer southern Italy over the north. It's warmer too.

Anyway I love Italy. I love the food & drink, the way of life, the strong family values and the general history behind the country.
Page 1 of 2