Hi everybody. I would like to buy a new guitar and modify it with dimarzio and seymour duncan pickups. Most will say why change the pickups before not even trying it. its just a thought i would like to make real.
So lets come to the question. Most of the guitars i looked at has floyd rose. I will play melodic death metal and neoclassical metal so im thinking something like an ibanez right now and it has floyd rose mostly. I am normally very distant to floyd rose and dont use tremolo too but if i buy a guitar with floyd rose i have more to choose from.
so would it be a real problem to change strings and especially change the tuning of the guitar? like from E to D when i want to play certain songs. Need your help
Drop Ding will make your life hell. You'll have to stick to one tuning or fiddle around for ages after each change. A tremol-no would solve that.
Floyds aren't too good for changing tunings, that's more suited to a hard tail guitar.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Get one. And get one of these: http://www.tremol-no.com. I have one in my KV2, and although I did actually break a string last night with it in Floyd Mode , you can set it up in hardtail and dive-only modes, both in which you CAN change tunings with.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
agreed (with webbtje and kevin), a tremol-no might be worth considering, though, as long as you're willing to forgo full-floating mode in the different tuning.

whatever you do, make sure you don't get a guitar with a crap floyd rose. which guitars are you looking at?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
takes about 15-20 minutes minimum for an unexperienced person to do (if you can figure it out) some people cant set up a trem no matter how long you give them. i can change the tuning on my ibanez 7 with a floating trem in under ten minutes, but i have had alot of practice. you can always block the trem so it doesnt move. and change tuning like a standard fixed bridge guitar.
basically, dealing with a floyd rose makes the LOTR quest look like a walk in the park.
Quote by marko'd
basically, dealing with a floyd rose makes the LOTR quest look like a walk in the park.

lol.

Dave im looking at ibanez at the moment. I really am confused i will play metal so i will need to get to at least D standart but i will also play neoclassical things which is i guess better in E standart. If i dont get a guitar with floyd rose i have too narrow choices but if i get a floyd rose i might not use tremolo at all. its a really bad situation.
i enjoy having a Floyd Rose quite a lot... but they are VERY annoying for changing tuning & strings =\
it was a hard choice for what to get for my next guitar, but i finally decided i'd put up with the Floyd Rose if it was a 7-string (which i've wanted for ages), but it will be more annoying having an extra string to re-string as well =\

anyway, they're annoying, but fun!
tell me, whats a tremol-no?

also, depending on whether the guitar you want has a double locking one, itll make it much more awkward to change tunings.

Also, as with many trems, as you tighten/loosen the strings, the trem reacts negatively, throwing all the other strings out, so you have to go thru it four or five times to get it right.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are a bad man...I like you

Quote by gillehy
you sir should be knighted

Quote by Sleaze Disease

It's so true.

I

MUSIC!!!
^ http://www.tremol-no.com/

Quote by marko'd

nice one

Quote by blind.quardian
Dave im looking at ibanez at the moment. I really am confused i will play metal so i will need to get to at least D standart but i will also play neoclassical things which is i guess better in E standart. If i dont get a guitar with floyd rose i have too narrow choices but if i get a floyd rose i might not use tremolo at all. its a really bad situation.

ok. which ibanezes are you looking at? some have good trems (the edge pro, ZR, probably edge zero too, but i haven't tried it), while some are rubbish (edge III).

if you're looking at the s series, most of those have ZRs so you should be ok. If you're looking at RGs, don't buy one with a trem which isn't a prestige (rg1570 or higher). That's assuming you're buying new.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dantheman558
also, depending on whether the guitar you want has a double locking one, itll make it much more awkward to change tunings.

i don't think that's really anything to do with its being double-locking (unless you count unlocking at the nut as being awkward, which takes about 5 seconds), that's more to do with its being floating. you have the same problem with balancing and rebalancing the trem (if you want to change tunings) with floating non-locking trems...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No im not going to buy something with Edge III I really dont know if i want a floyd rose. I normally dont use tremolo and dont need it but the lack of hardtail guitar in the style i want makes me wanna go with a floyd rosed one. If its really that painful to even change strings (which i dont like doing even at my hardtail guitar) i will not buy a floyd rose. So youll help me decide.
Quote by Dave_Mc

ok. which ibanezes are you looking at? some have good trems (the edge pro, ZR, probably edge zero too, but i haven't tried it), while some are rubbish (edge III).

Can't actually find any edge zero guitars anywhere. Irritating.
Damn its all because of Jason Becker because of him i want to play that way and im stuck in choosing a guitar.
Quote by blind.quardian
No im not going to buy something with Edge III I really dont know if i want a floyd rose. I normally dont use tremolo and dont need it but the lack of hardtail guitar in the style i want makes me wanna go with a floyd rosed one. If its really that painful to even change strings (which i dont like doing even at my hardtail guitar) i will not buy a floyd rose. So youll help me decide.

it's not *that* hard, especially when you get used to it. it's more changing tunings a lot where the real hassle/bother is. I mean, when changing strings, if you stick to the same brand and gauge, the trem should more or less already be balanced, at the right height, etc. etc. so a lot of the work won't be needed... if you never use a trem, though, it's probably a bunch of unnecessary bother... it really depends on how much you need the trem.

Quote by webbtje
Can't actually find any edge zero guitars anywhere. Irritating.

yeah, i haven't seen one either (though i haven't really been looking too hard to be honest).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah but I live close to Denmark Street in Lahndahn, so not being able to bump into one is just downright weird
ah, good point. what about the wembley guitar centre? they were ibanez dealers last time i was there...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Miles away from me, I just have the odd long break that I can use to pop to Denmark Street from Gower Street for a bit.
oh ok.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
One suggestion that I can offer is to buy the guitar with the tremolo and use that one for standard tunings, then use your other guitar for drop tunings.
I'm also stuck at the moment between getting a guitar with a Floyd or a hard tail bridge and from all my querying I am probably going to go with the suggestion that I have offered you.
Last edited by bogg808 at Dec 10, 2008,