Right now I pretty much stay in standard, however, I plan to tune to Drop C when I get my new bass and I was wondering which strings to use? I understand that there are different gauges and such but in terms of popularity, Is there a certain one that's most commonly used? How about material? I've heard Ernie Ball ones get the job done but checking their array I was swallowed by: Extra Slinky, Super Slinky, Power Slinky, Regular Slinky... You get the point.

Any and all feedback is welcome. Enlighten me!
You should be fine with a .105 E string tuning drop C. I go to D with a .105 with no problem. If anything you might want to get a .110 E string just to be sure.

Use whatever string/brand you like the sound of and is comfortable.

Don't be afraid to experiment on strings. They're a huge part of your sound/playing.
haha
Extra Slinkys do well in Drop C... <.< >.>

Honestly, Power Slinkys would be fine, but I'd go for something heavier. As for what brand you pick, that really doesn't matter as much as the metal the string is made of and the gauge. Going to Drop C, I imagine you play metal, so you'll want a solid bottom end with some brightness, so Slinkys would be good, but they're not the only string out there.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I quite like D'addario prosteels...

Just make sure to leave enough string on the tuning peg so that the sound isn't equivalent to wet spaghetti...
Extra Slinkys would be horrible for drop tuning. Get some D'addario Prosteels or Rotosound Swing 66s because Ernie Ball strings tend to die very quickly.
Hippiebass is right, Extra Slinkys wouldn't do very well for drop tuning(they are a relatively light gauge). If you want Ernie Ball's get Power slinky's because they are a heavier gauge.

I personally like Ernie Ball stings (Regular Slinky's, I tend to stay in E), even when they are dead they seem brighter than other dead strings, so you could get a little more brightness outta them than others.
Regular slinkys will do for drop c, but if it is remaining there then id go for the power slinkys.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
It doesn't really matter what brand as long as you like the sound from the strings.

But I would recommend a heavier gauge set.
And what bass you play will effect that low C.
If your bass is of a long enough scale length, then that will help because the string tension would be higher.
You may have to setup your bass a little differently also.

SO 2 things,
-Heavy string gauge
-Long enough bass

-Zeelod

Love the Low end
Yeah that would work but thats really low.

Use the "B" string from a 5 -stringed set.
So like .130 +
Quote by gwath42
Yeah that would work but thats really low.

Use the "B" string from a 5 -stringed set.
So like .130 +

Would a .130 guage fit into the E string slot of a 4-string nut?
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
I suggest Rotosound, because it's longer lasting and sounds better. and if you are conservative with the lows, thick strings aren't gonna be particularly muddy anyway.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at Dec 10, 2008,
Sarcasm just doesn't travel well over the Internet...

TS, yes, Power Slinkys are gonna be your best bet if you're set on EB strings. Just look up the gauges for Power Slinkys and get the same thing in another string if Slinkys just aren't your cup of tea.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Well,

I don't drop tune often, i find 55-115 GHS boomers are comfortable for standard tuning.

So I would probabaly buy single strings and get somthing like 70-145.

In my opinion heavier strings sound much better.
Listen to my band - www.myspace.com/theacidiks
Fender MIM P Bass - Badass II Bridge, Seymour Duncan (Basslines) SPB-3 - Strings 55-115 (Standard Tuning)
EHX Big Bass Muff
Ashdown MAG 300 2-10T
Epiphone G-400 (.11-.52)
LGBT