Anybody have any experience playing the Krank Rev Jr? I am thinking about getting the Rev Jr Pro. I use a lot of death metal style gain. I play mostly small venues where the amp is miced. I don't want an amp that I will have to use an attenuator with. I have been using SS but am getting sick of the harsh static sound that I get. Any advice?
Its a smooth amp, but the tone is one of those love it or hate kind... I liked the one I demo'ed but didnt like it enough to shell out that much money on it. Its deffinetly a krank tone wise and was pretty thin compared to most high gain amps. But that said if your looking for a razor sharp tone a bit on the thin side then you will like it..
What can you recommend in a high-gain, low watt tube amp for a thicker sound?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Zacher
What can you recommend in a high-gain, low watt tube amp for a thicker sound?

The main issue is High gain and low wattage dont go together.. A Randall MTS might be able to pull it off but its a luck shot.

Let me ask you this why are you scared of a High wattage amp? With death metal your not going to use a attenuator in the first place. Metal is pretty much always preamp tube saturation not power tube saturation (unless you own a mesa and select others, they like a tad bit of power tube saturation).
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Dec 10, 2008,
Thanks for the replies!

Please forgive me if I don't know what I'm talking about but I was also thinking about using a rack-mount preamp to stick in the effects loop of my Hughes and Kettner SS amp. It is a really great amp for SS. I like the cleans on it but I want that big thick tube distortion tone. My price range is 600-800 dollars. I saw an ENGL tube preamp on musician's friend for $600. Is it better to just get a tube amp? Again, I don't know much about rack mounted stuff so this may actually be a bad idea.
The E530 is SICK!!!! I love it! Honestly though, I think it would be a waste to run it through a SS power amp. Most of your tone is coming from your preamp and not your poweramp, so it is unlikely you will get the same clean tone. Believe me though, the clean tone from the E530 is awesome.

Running through the VHT, it sounds like heaven.....

Getting into rack gear is quite an investment though.... something to think about.
IbanezPsycho,

I usually don't play at extremely high volume. From what I understand, you really have to turn a tube amp up to get the best tone from it. I have read some stuff that says that if you use a low wattage tube amp you can overdrive it easier without having to be turned up as loud.
Quote by Zacher
IbanezPsycho,

I usually don't play at extremely high volume. From what I understand, you really have to turn a tube amp up to get the best tone from it. I have read some stuff that says that if you use a low wattage tube amp you can overdrive it easier without having to be turned up as loud.

Thats only true for classic rock......

With death metal your not going to want to overdrive the power tubes. Metal is pretty much always preamp tube saturation not power tube saturation (unless you own a mesa and select others, they like a tad bit of power tube saturation).
Well, I guess the other issue is cost. Most of the high wattage tube amps I have looked at are at least $1500. Maybe I just don't know what all is out there in my price range.

If I use a tube preamp in my effects loop, will the SS poweramp ruin the tone?
Quote by Zacher
Well, I guess the other issue is cost. Most of the high wattage tube amps I have looked at are at least $1500. Maybe I just don't know what all is out there in my price range.

Okay...

let's start with logic here.

An amplifier is 2 parts

A pre amplifier and a power amplifier

With most modern metal and heavier music, there is a lot of pre amp distortion. With most classic rock, pre amps did not have the gain they do now, so the musician required a lot more from the power amp in the way of distortion. Clean tone is mostly pre amp tone.

If you have a lower budget, and $1500 is too much, it is most certainly not worth looking into any form of rack setup.
NJNoise,

So you are saying that the E530 would not be enough? It sounds like all I need is good preamp distortion but I don't know if a rack preamp would sound good through a SS combo amp. My HK is the attax 80, by the way. It is actually 100 (SS) watts, I don't know why they call it attax 80.
Also, please keep in mind that I am not exactly used to boutique tone. I have used SS for a long time but I am getting to the point where I want to get rid of the harsh static-like noise that always creeps in.
Quote by Zacher

Tone is subjective... So will it ruin it? That one depends on your ears... Alot of guys like the tone out of it, alot of metal guys also love SS amps in general. Best thing is give it a try and see how you like it.

And cost issue... Look used.. Metal tube amps range from $350 on up...
I do like my amp a lot. When I play with my band, the cymbals drown out the harsh staticness for the most part. I mainly hear it when I am playing by myself. What other solutions should I be looking at to just get rid of that harshness on top? Maybe an eq pedal? I alternate between using the digitech rp350 and just a line 6 uber metal. Maybe I just need to get better pedals or something.
Quote by Zacher
I do like my amp a lot. When I play with my band, the cymbals drown out the harsh staticness for the most part. I mainly hear it when I am playing by myself. What other solutions should I be looking at to just get rid of that harshness on top? Maybe an eq pedal? I alternate between using the digitech rp350 and just a line 6 uber metal. Maybe I just need to get better pedals or something.

What amp, speaker and volume are you at?
Quote by Zacher
NJNoise,

So you are saying that the E530 would not be enough? It sounds like all I need is good preamp distortion but I don't know if a rack preamp would sound good through a SS combo amp. My HK is the attax 80, by the way. It is actually 100 (SS) watts, I don't know why they call it attax 80.

The ENGL E530 would be MORE than enough, but you need to pair it with a decent tube power amp to get that true tube tone.....
I use a Hughes and Kettner attax 80 which is actually a 100 watt SS combo amp. It has one 12 inch H&K rock driver speaker. I usually keep both the clean and master volume at 5.
hold on here, this man still hasnt tried out the krank rev jr pro. for all we know, krank might be his thing. try that out, and i guess if you want something thicker, you could go for that preamp, and what you would do, is plug your guitar into the input of the preamp, then the output of the preamp into your current amp's FX return. this would basically give you a hybrid setup, and chances are it might sound good, or it might sound "meh". you could also look into other metal tube amps, it doesnt have to be low wattage (as ibanezpsycho stated) such as a randall or peavey kinda thing
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Thanks for the advice, guys. I really wish I could try out a Krank but none of the shops around here carry them and I don't know anyone with one. Next time I go into the shops I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a b-52 at 112.
Quote by Zacher
Thanks for the advice, guys. I really wish I could try out a Krank but none of the shops around here carry them and I don't know anyone with one. Next time I go into the shops I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a b-52 at 112.

Good chouce . Good luck on finding a good amp, I hope all yurns out well!!!
Quote by Zacher

i tried out the Krank Rev Jr Pro yesterday actually..... and all i can say is wow!!! i was blown away by how brutal and aggressive it sounded(it sounded like a Krank so i guess it shouldnt have been suprised haha). plenty of gain and volume and just like its big brother, clarity and articulation for days. im not sure how it would hold up on its own live, but as long as your mic'd up, this amp has more than enough volume and cutting power to hold up and sound great in a band situation. will definately sound better than what you are using now.

i didnt find Rev Jr Pro or the Rev1 i played on in the past to be thin at all like some people say they are. the people who say they are thin obviously havent found good setting, use too much gain or havent turned em up enough to get the power tubes involved. once you get the volume up to band practice or stage volume they fatten up a whole lot. maybe theyre thin compared to a mesa recto but i personally think mesas are way too massive and overbearing on the lowend and thickness. for doin death metal or anything remotely busy/technical i prefer a tighter, drier high gain tone, much like the Kranks and Peavey 6505/5150's.

speaking of 6505/5150's, have you tried one of those out yet? they run for about $1000 or so for the head and about 1200 for the 212 combo. while they are loud, you can get em soundin really good and powerful without havin to turn em up to ridiculous volumes. but they do have the capability of holding their own and still sounding great in a larger and/or unmic'd venue(even the 212 combo), which is something that im not sure you could say about the Rev Jr Pro. so you might wanna consider that as well, just my 2 cents
Last edited by acidrain79 at Dec 13, 2008,