when i try to pull off, i try to flick my finger off so you can actually hear the pull off. but when i do this,i end up bending the string, hitting the next string, and sometimes not hearing the pull off at all. how can i fix this?
You don't actually have to pull the string, just pull your finger off the string quickly. I know, I know, don't worry nobodys gonna fart.
Scarred for life!

Rig:
Gibson LPC
Jackson DK10D
Fender HM Strat
Custom built Tele-type
Alvarez 5040 Koa
Epiphone 12 string
Blue Voodoo 50
Dunlop 213 slide
Fender M-80 chorus
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience
You just move your finger to and from the fretboard surface...no need to bend the string while pulling off or to make any movement along the neck...just up and down as if you were playing a piano...but I'm not sure if I understood you completely...
Maybe you are pulling your finger a little to flat, it's about finding the place in between, where you not just lift the finger (resulting in killing the tone) and pulling it down towards the florr (resulting in bend and hitting other strings?) and... yeah... practice
Pulling off IS just lifting finger. And I get quite nice sound out of that, thanks for asking. Do it as fast as you can and practice and you'll be able to do them in no time ^^
Are we talking acoustic or electric? With or without overdrive?

Anyhow, try tapping a string with your left arm finger (quickly hammering on i.e. pressing a finger against fretboard and pulling off as fast as you can - try to make contact between string and finger as short as possible)...if that doesn't make any sound, you're doing something wrong --> youtube.com and search for pulloff videos...if it makes some sound, just practice pulling off...
If you doubt my technique, watch some videos on youtube and then practice. If not, just practice lifting the finger off the fretboard and that's it...
Quote by -Rodion-
Pulling off IS just lifting finger. And I get quite nice sound out of that, thanks for asking. Do it as fast as you can and practice and you'll be able to do them in no time ^^

No it isn't, you have to kind of flick the string as you release the first note.

TS, your problem is simple - you're trying to do something you've never done before, are you honestly surprised that you can't do it immediately?

Like everything else it's going to take time and practice to get it right. If you're bending the string then you're hand isn't stable enough, probably because it's not strong enough to do what you're trying to do. If you're hitting the other strings it's because you're not accurate enough which means you're trying to do pull offs fairly quickly before you've actually learned how to do one.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 10, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
No it isn't, you have to kind of flick the string as you release the first note.

Yeah, you can do that, but as far as I know, both ways are correct and as long as you get it to sound as you want it, you're doing the right thing ^^

And my way is easier for a beginner...
Quote by -Rodion-
Yeah, you can do that, but as far as I know, both ways are correct and as long as you get it to sound as you want it, you're doing the right thing ^^

And my way is easier for a beginner...

But your way isn't a pull off - there's no point in it being easier for a beginner if it isn't actually what he wants to achieve.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

TS, your problem is simple - you're trying to do something you've never done before, are you honestly surprised that you can't do it immediately?

Like everything else it's going to take time and practice to get it right. If you're bending the string then you're hand isn't stable enough, probably because it's not strong enough to do what you're trying to do. If you're hitting the other strings it's because you're not accurate enough which means you're trying to do pull offs fairly quickly before you've actually learned how to do one.

He's right. It isn't simply lifting your finger straight up, you have to pull on the string in a flicking motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz-XSCrpOdY

Try this video out
just take it slow and keep practicing i tried ti flick it at first to but then i got it PRACTICE!!!!
have you learned hammer-ons first, because i found them decidedly easier at first
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all