Here's the story

me and my mate are both guitarists and have wanted to start a band but there have been nobody really to play bass and drums. recently i have just found out one of my best mates plays bass, sneaky i know, and my other good mate has just got some drums today.

my question is how long has it taken for all you small number of drumers in UG to learn the basics etc. of playing drums. as in how many hours/lessons etc. it took

thanks
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
I'm a born drummer so it didnt take to long for me.

But, it depends. If your going to be playing grindcore or death metal dont think hes gunna be a pro blast beaster on the first try. It can take a whole life time to be good or a few hours.
UG'S THRASHOHOLIC DRUMMER
WRECK YOUR NECK WITH A PASSION FOR THRASHIN
As long as you have a good sense of rhythm and a basic understanding of theory he'll just need to practise... well playing it.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
I quit a band because one of the members was still in the early stages of learning his guitar, it really really sucked...
I thought it would be fine and he would get better with time, but it really took a lot of time. Its a shame because hes a nice guy, but it got frustrating.
What i was trying to say is; find a capable drummer, it will save a LOT of time.
Hello
heya

well i brought my drum kit about year and a half ago and ive taught myself, but my main instrument is still guitar.. i know nothin about theory of drums but i can still wack out a good beat or two.. so if he gets lessons and plays lots i guess a month or so.. super practise though.. depends also on what music you play.. likes of jazz is hard.. but i doubt youll be playin that :P metal.. depends on double bass or not.. rock beats are pretty simple.. so.. ye.. tell him to practise practise practise
:::Gear:::

Ibanez JS100
Marshall MGDFX Halfstack
Roland Cube 30
Line6 X3 Live
Aria Acoustic (idk what make)
lol nothing like that.

we'll be playing classic rock / indie

(to metal overlord)

Hey You!
it ENTIRELY depends on the person. Personally, i had the real basics down within a year. And now after like 5 years, i'm getting not too decent. Your friend might be different though.
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
well in hours i can't say but i started when i was about 11 (now 17), i have just okayed in school/college (don't own a drumkit) and the basics didn't take too long, maybe some weeks (4 or 5 weeks, and you would be fairly good, maybe less cause i started practice guitar when i was about 12)
The best thing I can recommend for practice is playing along with bands that have drummers that you really like.

and then if you take lessons have your teacher give you basic technique/rudiment lessons

Shouldn't take too long to get decent if you practice
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
A year or five, and some gig experience beforehand.
Military use of children?

Infantry.
My brother got a kit about a year and a half ago and I have been playing on it now and again (whenever it catches my eye, that sort of thing) and i have gotten fairly good, nailed the basics and my brother is teaching me some more advanced stuff.

Its not very hard to pick up really as long as you have a good sense of rhythm and coordination.
Don't start a band with a kid who just got a set of drums, it'll only be headaches, even if you have the patience of a saint.

If he's got a natural knack for it, a year or two with a teacher will give him a solid foundation, but don't expect too much.

It took my 4 years of drumming to get to the point where I could play almost anything I wanted, and learned to solo.
thanks to everybody that replied

Hey You!
Quote by Mitchell?
Don't start a band with a kid who just got a set of drums, it'll only be headaches, even if you have the patience of a saint.

If he's got a natural knack for it, a year or two with a teacher will give him a solid foundation, but don't expect too much.

It took my 4 years of drumming to get to the point where I could play almost anything I wanted, and learned to solo.

i was hoping to start jamming with him in about february so ill probablies have to see how he picks it up

Hey You!
no problem, really the key to getting good id just practicing as much as possible, and playing with other people
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
It really depends on the person. I come from a musical background and it took me about 2 years to get really solid on the basics. Of course, I never practiced though. Someone who practices could probably get it down around a year or so if they really practice.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
what do you guys consider basics?

i've been playing drums since last thursday and after my exams tomorrow i plan on trying to learn 'this fire' by killswitch. double pedal is very easy for me since i played ddr religously, lol.

how do you get good at fills? i can do beats, but i suck hardcore at fills. the problem comes when i travel around the toms. i can't do anything left hand leading, cause right hand gets in the way.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
I guess a few months for me to get "the basics" I lived on freedrumlessons.com. Thats pretty much how i learned. I didn't practice too much so if you practiced a lot it would probably be better. Guitar is pretty much my primary instrument though.
For the drummers I've known, it takes around a month to be able to do basic 4/4 beats competently, so I think by Feb you should be able to do any AC/DC song.
About 2 or 3 months

but not all UG'rs are just guitarists...

I'm a guitarist, bassist, drummer, pianist, and saxophonist... so yeah
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Quote by eltravo
The best thing I can recommend for practice is playing along with bands that have drummers that you really like.

and then if you take lessons have your teacher give you basic technique/rudiment lessons

Shouldn't take too long to get decent if you practice

i learnt by playing QOTSA- Songs for the deaf on headphones like everyday and playing along to it

one of my favorite drumming albums ever i think it really helped i would definaly recommend this
Quote by Corruption
About 2 or 3 months

but not all UG'rs are just guitarists...

I'm a guitarist, bassist, drummer, pianist, and saxophonist... so yeah

ZOMG theres another one like me?

do your basic backbeat, and once he has that down you can mix that up quite a fair bit. reiterate to him that he is that heart of the band and he needs to keep a feel for the beat.
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
Quote by Caramello Ruell
ZOMG theres another one like me?

do your basic backbeat, and once he has that down you can mix that up quite a fair bit. reiterate to him that he is that heart of the band and he needs to keep a feel for the beat.

what do you mean there's another one like you?
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!