Okay, i have an Epiphone SG Special and I guess im okay at playing guitar. Far from anything im happy with. Alot of the times when i play higher strings (G, B and E) i get this weird sound when i fret. Im not sure how to explain it but, it just doesnt sound as good as when i play the lower strings (E, A,D). I know its not my amp because it pretty good (Peavey ValveKing). Should i upgrade my pickups/get new guitar? Or is it just me? Am i doing something wrong when fretting higher strings? Thanks.

EDIT: I use Ernie Ball Power Slinky
Last edited by evolve215 at Dec 10, 2008,
Is it the sound when you pick the string and you can hear a dull thud with each pick? If so, its your picking technique.
Ah, if its an Epi Special, then the problem could also be related to the guitar. I have an Epi Special, and its a terrible, low quality guitar, that has many problems, so you may want to go around looking for a better guitar.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
ever had the guitar set up ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
No, its not a dull. Actually its sounds extreamly twangy and just not right.

EDIT: Didnt have it set up. Got it when i knew nothing about good quality guitars and care.
Intonation?
String guage?
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by evolve215
No, its not a dull. Actually its sounds extreamly twangy and just not right.

EDIT: Didnt have it set up. Got it when i knew nothing about good quality guitars and care.

i'd get it a setup if it's never had one. factory setups are usually horrendous on low end guitars.

when's the last time you changed the strings ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
A week and a half ago. I change them regularly. Im most likely getting a new guitar this Christmas so ill get that one set up.
What kind of strings are you using? Different brand strings give some different sounds and so do the string gauges.
Could my fretting hand be the cause? I may be pushing too hard on the strings because I kinda went on an "acoustic vacation" for about a month.
Quote by evolve215
Could my fretting hand be the cause? I may be pushing too hard on the strings because I kinda went on an "acoustic vacation" for about a month.

It might just be that your guitar has never had a proper setup. All pushing down hard on the strings would do would be to accidentally raise the pitch of the note, I used to have problems with that... no buzzing or anything though. I'd say just get a setup.