Pick a name nobody else would want.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
stop whining
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
You really can't, unless of course you actually go through the process of copyrighting it, but if you are a smaller band there probably might be a million other bands using it already, the only thing you can do is make it big then anyone who else uses it will just be a douchbag
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Call the department of fair-trading & organise it! it's about $150Aus for 3 years!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Quote by Just Andrew
Pick a name nobody else would want.

I have, its a name nobody else on any of the big music networking sites has used, and I'm pretty sure no one would think of it, but I just kinda want to make sure, you know?
You will be wasting money unless your a signed band+the chances are somebody already has it. There was a site to check, but I can't remember it at the moment.

EDIT: http://www.bandname.com/ , so obvious I forgot it
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
whats the name

<<
---

>>
---
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by faultyy
You will be wasting money unless your a signed band+the chances are somebody already has it. There was a site to check, but I can't remember it at the moment.

EDIT: http://www.bandname.com/ , so obvious I forgot it

£6.90 to protect band names...is that legit? Seems unlikely
ok really heres what you do...you need to talk to the mods of UG

they will tell you about the key...what key you ask?

you must travel to the library or Solomon in Alexandria, Egypt. there you will find the codex scripture, hidden deep beneath the tomb under the library. the mods of UG will then tell you what the key is. the key is the key in this case. its a message that will explain everything.

It will give you the names of the 5 most powerful sorcerer/guitarists in the world, a kin that has long been hiding in the shadows after being banished during the kindling wars. you will have to fight and defeat each one of them in a ferocious guitar battle, and use their shattered guitars to behead them once you have won.

you will then take the amulets hidden in each of the 5 guitarists head stocks and take it to the lost city of Alexandria, where you can use the the ancient artifacts to re-write the universe itself. using the amulets to activate the colossal device. you must then use the quantum winds and resonance magnetism of the ancient device to reshape the stars, and imprint forever in the spectrum of the cosmos, that your band is exclusive in name, and that no one will ever use the title you decide on.

in other words...do not worry about anything like that until you are as famous as satriani then you can go after your own personal "coldplay" nemesis.
myspace not even kidding most people can protect they're name rights by adding they're band and defend they're band's name by saying we've been around for blah blah that'll keep you safe until you get some cash and can actually put a copyright on it...then you can sue the other buggers for useing your name.
Quote by david_safc
£6.90 to protect band names...is that legit? Seems unlikely

Didn't notice you had to pay, it's probably not lol, there was a free one, but the last time I saw it was about 4 years ago
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by georgakis187
ok really heres what you do...you need to talk to the mods of UG

they will tell you about the key...what key you ask?

you must travel to the library or Solomon in Alexandria, Egypt. there you will find the codex scripture, hidden deep beneath the tomb under the library. the mods of UG will then tell you what the key is. the key is the key in this case. its a message that will explain everything.

It will give you the names of the 5 most powerful sorcerer/guitarists in the world, a kin that has long been hiding in the shadows after being banished during the kindling wars. you will have to fight and defeat each one of them in a ferocious guitar battle, and use their shattered guitars to behead them once you have won.

you will then take the amulets hidden in each of the 5 guitarists head stocks and take it to the lost city of Alexandria, where you can use the the ancient artifacts to re-write the universe itself. using the amulets to activate the colossal device. you must then use the quantum winds and resonance magnetism of the ancient device to reshape the stars, and imprint forever in the spectrum of the cosmos, that your band is exclusive in name, and that no one will ever use the title you decide on.

in other words...do not worry about anything like that until you are as famous as satriani then you can go after your own personal "coldplay" nemesis.

that made my day, thank you.
Copyrights do not have any formalities (so many people get that wrong) - for example, you just write some or express something and the law will uphold that for 70-years after your death. The owner of the copyright will initially be the author of the work produced (or the employer, most unfortunately). He or she will have the exclusive rights to use the work in any number of ways: Section 16 of the Copyright Act outlines the entitlement to copy it, issue copies of it to the public, rent or lend it to the public, perform, show or play it in public, communicate it to the public, and make an adaptation of it.

In terms of Trademarks, you can register it or alternatively, you don't have to - there's a seperate action called, passing off, especially for people who haven't registered their trademark.
As always, better protection affords you better rights but in all seriousness, do you really want to pay a royalty fee? I assume you're an average 14-year old trying to trademark his own band name. I'm sorry, but it's just very unlikely. If you really want to trademark it, here are the steps:

1. You may make an application for a UK trademark issued under the terms of the TMA (Trade Mark Act). This application must be made to the UKIPO. If successful, the applicant will be granted a trade mark effective throughout the UK.
2. You may make an application for a Community trade mark, under the terms of the Trade Mark Regulation. This application may be lodged with either the UKIPO, who will forward it to the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (Trade Marks and Designs) or with the OHIM itself. If successful, the applicant will be granted a trade mark effective throughout the EU.

You can register trademarks in several categories such as music, foods, beverages etc...but of course, if you don't use them in that specific category (can't remember the time period), they can be knocked off.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Dec 10, 2008,