I read the article Freepower wrote on anchoring, but i have a question he didnt cover. I used to anchor pretty badly and I just stopped and i feel like theres MORE tension in my hand. In fact, after just a few minutes of practicing scales wothout anchoring, my hands are sore and shaking i was just wondering if thats normal or if I, in the process of trying to correct my form, actually screwed up something else. Again, sorry for making a thread about anchoring
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
I read the article Freepower wrote on anchoring, but i have a question he didnt cover. I used to anchor pretty badly and I just stopped and i feel like theres MORE tension in my hand. In fact, after just a few minutes of practicing scales wothout anchoring, my hands are sore and shaking i was just wondering if thats normal or if I, in the process of trying to correct my form, actually screwed up something else. Again, sorry for making a thread about anchoring

This would be better off in the AT forum really but:

If you're getting sore and shaking then you've definitely introduced some kind of flaw into your playing, it sounds to me like you're probably trying to play the exact same things and speeds as you did before just without your anchor. If you're going to completely overhaul your picking hand you'll need to go back to square one, start slow and work your way back up with a metronome to make absolutely sure you're always relaxed and accurate.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
PM him, he always answers

Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
oh crap. Why did i post in here? sorry. man my shoulder's sore and everything. I think im stressing myself out over this too much
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
oh crap. Why did i post in here? sorry. man my shoulder's sore and everything. I think im stressing myself out over this too much

The problem is almost certainly what I described above, you're not relaxing enough because you're just removing your anchor and trying to play the same stuff you did before; you've got to slow down again and work your way back up while making sure you're relaxed.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yeah your probably right. I just hate feeling like such a beginner and going back to basics like this. but i guess its worth it
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
yeah your probably right. I just hate feeling like such a beginner and going back to basics like this. but i guess its worth it

FP himself had the same problem, I think he re-designed his picking something like 2 years ago; it's absolutely worth doing dude, I've re-designed my picking but not quite as drastically based on the same principles and I like to think I've gotten much better as a result.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by QuantumMechanix

Shoulder's sore?

Most likely cause is that you have lifted your arm too far off the body of the guitar. That's the number one cause. Take your anchored arm position. Lift a millimeter. Comfy?

Okay, next thing is, the whole time you were anchored, you never learnt to control the response from the strings properly, nor did you learn to control the size of your movements. That means you actually haven't learnt those portions of picking yet, meaning you can't play what you used to play by wearing your training wheels.

You do have to get the feel of playing unanchored, you definately can't expect to be able to play the same stuff better immediately.

And as for going straight back to beginner, I went from practicing my 3 octave sweeps to learning to sit down with the guitar. That was a week of picking open strings unanchored, and sitting with my guitar. Thassit.