How does jeff beck get those gnarly pinches with no pick??
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
i have no idea. my friend has been playing guitar for like 4 years and never uses a pick and i have no idea how he gets better pinches than me
Touch the side of your thumb at the harmonic node, pluck with your idex finger nail.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Touch the side of your thumb at the harmonic node, pluck with your idex finger nail.

This. Classical guitarists make very good use of this technique.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
okay, i feel like a idiot for asking this but whats a harmonic node?
Ive noticed when playing normal pinches if i move around where i pluck it produces a different sound, is that what a harmonic node is?
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
that motion sounds like more of a pinch than a pinch harmonic performed with a pick. maybe that's the origin of the name "pinch harmonic"
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
okay, i feel like a idiot for asking this but whats a harmonic node?
Ive noticed when playing normal pinches if i move around where i pluck it produces a different sound, is that what a harmonic node is?

It's the point along the string where you touch your thumb to create the harmonic!

The best way to imagine it is the point simply either one half of the length of the string from the bridge to the fret your at for an octave, one quarter for two octaves or a third for an octave and a fifth.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
nice thanks, i was close eh?
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Pinch your thumb and middle or idex finger together pressing with tip of the nail on the string!
You can also try an artificial harmonic, kind of the reverse of the method mentioned above, where you place your index finger on the harmonic node and use your thumb (nail, if you fancy, or flesh) to pluck the string. Make sure you lift your pick hand finger off the string pretty quickly after sounding the harmonic or the sound will cut short.

T
Quote by TommyRack
You can also try an artificial harmonic, kind of the reverse of the method mentioned above, where you place your index finger on the harmonic node and use your thumb (nail, if you fancy, or flesh) to pluck the string. Make sure you lift your pick hand finger off the string pretty quickly after sounding the harmonic or the sound will cut short.

T

Wouldn't that be a natural harmonic, and the ones described above are artificial ?
Quote by Orbit91
Wouldn't that be a natural harmonic, and the ones described above are artificial ?

It's actually exactly the same thing, just different digits on the string.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's actually exactly the same thing, just different digits on the string.

Never thought of it that way