Alright, so I use the 003 Factory for basic tracking and mixing purposes. I've got two 8 channel Octopre's connected via Lightpipe to the control surface (I like them better than the stock pres on the controller). I am now moving more towards Logic Pro for my tracking purposes.

My question is, has anyone here had any success in mapping the controls on the 003 surface to correspond with Logic Pro? If so, what kind of latency do you get when you record? The reason I'm asking is that I don't really have the money to purchase an Apogee system (those darn A/D converters are pricey!).

tldr; I have a Digi 003 console and I want to run Logic alongside ProTools. Anyone done it before (successfully)?
i'm pretty sure the digidesign hardware is proprietary, so it wont work with non-digidesign software.
Well, at first I thought that, but I've read that people have used Cubase and stuff with the 003 control surface with no issues. I think it's the other way around with that; ProTools will only work with Digi hardware. I just can't find anyone who's used Logic with the control surface.
lol good luck there the two programs that are in compitition with each other, i dont think it will work. what are you tracking that you want to use both those programs.
Well, I use ProTools for main tracking for bands (have my own little business, I guess you could say) but I don't require much for my own needs. I'm more of a sequencer/MIDI kinda guy at home, and instead of having to buy new gear to produce my own songs, I try to use my ProTools rig for that sorta stuff. I know that when PT8 comes out soon it'll have better MIDI support, but I still prefer Logic for my MIDI and sequencing needs. I'm just trying to save myself some cash on gear here, really.
Quote by yasebya
Well, I use ProTools for main tracking for bands (have my own little business, I guess you could say) but I don't require much for my own needs. I'm more of a sequencer/MIDI kinda guy at home, and instead of having to buy new gear to produce my own songs, I try to use my ProTools rig for that sorta stuff. I know that when PT8 comes out soon it'll have better MIDI support, but I still prefer Logic for my MIDI and sequencing needs. I'm just trying to save myself some cash on gear here, really.

I feel ya man,
i dont like protools for midi work either. i could be wrong but frankly i'd be surprised if this worked.

try google "003 with logic", first result is this:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/161332-digi-003-logic-studio.html

could be helpful.
Worse comes to worse, you could sell the 003 and pick up the Euphonix MC Control surfaces (they easily switch between PT and Logic, as well as a ton of other Mac software) and a RME card for ADAT inputs. Tracking precision and sound quality should improve (even more if you get a clock to sync up the preamps and the card).

And I haven't seen any more heartening stuff from Gearslutz either.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Dec 11, 2008,
The thing with your suggestion, Fast_Fingers, is that I'd still need some sort of Digi hardware for PT to work. I've thought about selling the 003 and getting the 003 Rack, along with some sort of third party control surface (like you suggested), but I've been hesitant to do so because of the imminent release of PT8. They're talking a good game when it comes to MIDI improvement so I may just wait it out and see how PT8 handles MIDI vs. Logic.
Ah, right, forgot about PT's hardware restrictions. Guess it is best to wait for the moment...or get the rack here.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Dec 11, 2008,