I've heard that the Epiphone G-310 is really bad because of it's pickups. But I haven't heard anything about the other parts of it. Is it a decent guitar to get for a 2nd guitar and then upgrade it along the way. My first things to get would be EMG 81/85 pickups after I get a new amp.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I would strongly recommend spending a bit more and getting the G-400, although I don't know how much more it is in Australia.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
you probably wouldnt want to put emgs in that guitar
save up for a g 400 and put emgs in THAT
He came, He played guitar, he kicked some ass Dimebag Darrell 1966 to 2004
I own The Epiphone G-400 and it is great. Definitelt worth the cash. I didn't even need to buy new pickups.
I got ths as my first gutiar and as i first play it i knew it was ****

Wood/body feels weak and maybe hollow, it buzz a lot, on mine the tune controls never work, 1 strum and itwould be out of tune.

I sold it 2 months after i got it and got me a mim tele

sorry for the spelling

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
I agree with the others. I'd rather buy the Epiphone G-400 as a 2nd guitar. It's a lot better from the Epiphone G-310, I had that guitar as a starter, it was a good starter, but I don't think it's a good 2nd.

The G-400 will be well worth it. Cause now, since I've upgraded from my 310, I hate playing it, it's weird.
Always save up for the G-400. The G-310 is made of inferior wood, is bolt-on neck (which kills the good fret access SGs usually have), has worse hardware, etc etc. The G-400 doesn't cost that much more but is vastly superior.

Also there is a G-400 made for the Americna market that comes with active EMG pickups already pre-installed, if that's what you're after. However if you're the sort of person looking at Epi G-310s then I would think you probably don't have the right sort of amp to use with active pickups anyway, so I would advise against it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Always save up for the G-400. The G-310 is made of inferior wood, is bolt-on neck (which kills the good fret access SGs usually have), has worse hardware, etc etc. The G-400 doesn't cost that much more but is vastly superior.

Also there is a G-400 made for the Americna market that comes with active EMG pickups already pre-installed, if that's what you're after. However if you're the sort of person looking at Epi G-310s then I would think you probably don't have the right sort of amp to use with active pickups anyway, so I would advise against it.

This is true... Plus they're quite shoddily put together. The neck joint on mine kinda... died (readas: 1/2" action).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i say dont get it. i was going to get one for my secong guitar but i waited and found a nice epiphone les paul standard on craigslist for $250. Win Win situation my friend.
Quote by JessicaGonzo
i say dont get it. i was going to get one for my secong guitar but i waited and found a nice epiphone les paul standard on craigslist for $250. Win Win situation my friend.

The Epiphone Les Paul Standards are also good guitars. Another good alternative.

My Gear:
Squier SE-100 Strat
Squier SP-10 Amp
VOX V847 Wah

no. dont get a new guitar, or even THINK of installing emg's, until you replace that thing

edit: whoops, you mentioned that. sorry
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
yeah, that amp was ****.

best thing it ever did was **** up...im looking into replacing my peavey practice amp...

going for either a dsl401 or a vox valvetronix
yo.

I BELIEVE
I would get the G-400 but seriously? Who gets a $525 guitar for Christmas?

Les paul standard is even more, $890... Craigslist Australia has nothing.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Dec 11, 2008,
smart guitarists.

it's only a little more than the g310, plus you'll probably get a christmas price around that of the 310's RRP...maybe even less.

i got 25% shaved off my epi dot...
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
smart guitarists.

it's only a little more than the g310, plus you'll probably get a christmas price around that of the 310's RRP...maybe even less.

i got 25% shaved off my epi dot...

Please explain how I can turn $525 into $300. If your going to be an asshole and post **** then don't bother.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
i said get the g400's price down to the 310's RRP..not the sale price.

you asked for advice...i gave you some...you can tell if im only being an asshole.

you're not taking a big enough leap by buying a g310...
yo.

I BELIEVE
So I am somehow meant to get almost 50% off an item that is already marked down $50.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
not the price the shop is selling the g-310 for but the price epi have on their websites

god, you need a brain not a guitar for christmas
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Bottom Line
At $729, you can't deny that the G-400 is a lot of guitar for the money.

Your idea fails.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
i have g -310

the 400 has upper fret accest a lot easier and sounds a lot better.

my G-310 is in drop B now though cause its got muddy pickups no matter what tunning your in. and i like playing parkway.
mate when you walk in the shop...you make the salesperson work for your money.

im saying that if you haggle hard enough...look for scratches...aren't happy with the finish you could probably get that down to $450.
yo.

I BELIEVE
That still isn't $300.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
But my limit is $300 if your a blind retarded ****wit. Please never post again.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD
But my limit is $300 if your a blind retarded ****wit. Please never post again.

none of your posts say you have a maximum budget of $300

you fail.

400 AUD is the absolute max. So why don't you **** off, realize how much you fail and never come back to these forums?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
mate, if you're going to waste $300 or so on a guitar that is barely better than your SE100 than quit guitar.

if so many UGer's told you to save up more for a G400 and you're just disregarding our valuable advice...then quit guitar mate.

don't tell me that i fail too, you post a thread saying your price range is $400 and then in this thread you whinge that your price is only $300...get your own facts right fggt.
yo.

I BELIEVE
If you bothered to read you would know why you fail. Try reading more.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Dude we keep telling you that you should save more fore the G-400 because it will be more valuable than the G-310 it's not hard to understand, if ur a blind retarded ****wit
Quote by random_B-RAD
If you bothered to read you would know why you fail. Try reading more.

none of your posts in this thread say a price limit.
retard.

yet again YOU FAIL

on the up side he is australian, so imagine all those insults, crocodile dundee style :P

nah the g400 is superior by far, fair enuf you might not have enough, why not earn some money or...SELL your current setup, add the funds?

I sold my previous amp + 1 of my guitars to get my peavey 5150..smart move!

and stop the @%#@* to everyone here, they are giving damn good advice, try to keep your mind open a little, look around for deals.
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
The smartass that was posting before knew my price limit from the other thread which means he should have read it and knows that I don't give a flying **** if he wants to read more than 1 post.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD
The smartass that was posting before knew my price limit from the other thread which means he should have read it and knows that I don't give a flying **** if he wants to read more than 1 post.

*reported* for flaming.
That goes for a couple others too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah, that amp was ****.

best thing it ever did was **** up...im looking into replacing my peavey practice amp...

going for either a dsl401 or a vox valvetronix
Then you shouldn't think about getting active EMGs, because no amp of that level will do them justice. All you'll be doing is limiting your chocie of clean tones and making no improvement to your overdriven tones.

To make active pickups worthwhile you need a medium- or high-gain tube amp, no pedals, just cranking everything as loud and as hard as possible. Anything less and you're better off with passive pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.