Hey, quick question, is it possible to play a bass guitar on a normal amp; or does it work the other way around (guitar+bass amp)? Just wondering 'cause I'm getting a bass and I need to see if I need a new (bass) amp.
you shouldn't ever play a bass through a guitar amp but a guitar can be played through a bass amp.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
It IS possible, but you could do quite a bit of damage in doing so, especially if you play at loud volumes; guitar amps simply weren't made in mind for a bass's range. If money's a problem, check craigslist, there's usually a ton of people selling old amps for cheap.
The frequency range is different in bass speakers as opposed to guitar speakers. Bass speakers are designed to handle lower hertz while guitar speakers are obviously for a higher range. Its the lower frequencies that do the damage to speakers which is why you never play bass on a guitar amp. A guitar played thru a bass amp can sound muffled and you tend to loose that sizzle that you get from a guitar amp.
Bottom line is use the right amp for the right instument
Guitar amp speaker arent designed for the low frequencies a bass plays, you will probably blow the speaker if you play a bass on guitar amp, but you can play a guitar on a bass amp.

SO, i guess you have to buy another amp
if you're on a tight budget you can pick up a peavey max126 for $70 from musicians friend, etc. my brother has one and it's a decent little bass amp.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by bbear
The frequency range is different in bass speakers as opposed to guitar speakers. Bass speakers are designed to handle lower hertz while guitar speakers are obviously for a higher range. Its the lower frequencies that do the damage to speakers which is why you never play bass on a guitar amp. A guitar played thru a bass amp can sound muffled and you tend to loose that sizzle that you get from a guitar amp.
Bottom line is use the right amp for the right instument

I've been doing it for years on my 75 watt randall, I just turn the bass down and keep the volume moderate when I'm playing it. If you don't go overboard you shouldn't have a problem, and if possible if you have a cheaper practice amp do it on that.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
You might blow your speakers in your guitar amp if you plug a bass in but should have no problems the other way around
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor