Does anyone have any tips on keeping time when singing and playing? i'm really rubbish at even playing really easy chord sequences.
Metronome.
Gir vs. Wild :a man with foreskin is like a mule with a spinning wheel, nobody knows how he got it, and danged if he knows how to use it
I'm sure this thread has been done before

but I'lll give you the only real answer

practice with really easy things
example: Brainstew - Green Day
Blitzkreig Bop - The Ramones

etc etc

so sorry
the only real answer is to keep practicing, and work on songs with strumming patterns that line up with the words better
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
try and find songs with regular timing, sometimes even quicker is better, because it keeps your hands busy (as long as its simple powerchord stuff).
first song i learned to sing and play was Helicopter by Bloc Party, maybe you should check it out.
Quote by snazzyness
Does anyone have any tips on keeping time when singing and playing? i'm really rubbish at even playing really easy chord sequences.

+1
Practice makes perfect.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Make sure you can do both really well individually. Then, just, practice. Play the song while you're talking to someone. Sing while driving in heavy traffic. Sing and play the song at the same time.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by mr_personality
+1

i meant whilst singing lol. i'm no jimi though, i do admit that lol
Quote by snazzyness
i meant whilst singing lol. i'm no jimi though, i do admit that lol

its internet, we all pretend to be 25, be attractive, be cool etc... But we just pretend...
Quote by mr_personality
its internet, we all pretend to be 25, be attractive, be cool etc... But we just pretend...

please elaborate i have no idea what you mean. i never claimed to be 25, be attractive, be cool /...
Practice
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by snazzyness
please elaborate i have no idea what you mean. i never claimed to be 25, be attractive, be cool /...

I think the translation is "I'm a huge douchebag". I wouldn't feed him any further.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Try playing songs where the vocal and guitar rythym are the same, those will be hte easiest.
Or get another singer, that was my way out.
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
Quote by SteveHouse
I think the translation is "I'm a huge douchebag". I wouldn't feed him any further.

me or the other dude. i haven't done anything bad
It's just something you have to get used to doing. I can play guitar and sing ot play harmonica, but it took me about a year of working on it to get it to work really well.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by snazzyness
me or the other dude. i haven't done anything bad

Then the other dude, eh?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by mr_personality

Speak for yourself buddy, i never claimed to be cool or good good looking, or 25 lol, im 19, have an awesome group of friends, have pretty great luck with girls, i dont really need to make sh.it up lol.
Smart Pothead and Proud
Quote by SteveHouse
Then the other dude, eh?

eh? he is a douchebag or i am a douchbag?
Quote by snazzyness
eh? he is a douchebag or i am a douchbag?

Thanks for the advice everybody.
try just playing and talking to someone, or playing and watching tv, or playing while listening to a completely different song. something to distract yourself so that u can play it without thinking, so then u can concentrate on singing.
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
learn a punk song with a buncha power chords. then try it
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!