Poll: What color is human blood inside the body?
Poll Options
View poll results: What color is human blood inside the body?
Red
89 68%
Blue
41 32%
Voters: 130.
Page 1 of 2
I had a conversation with some people today that think that human blood is blue (Like a horseshoe crab's blood) while inside the body and turns red when exposed to oxygen. I thought it would be fun to see what a large group of people think on this subject.

Vote then read below.

If you voted red, congrats, don't read this paragraph. If you voted blue, read and become informed. Oxygen enriched blood is bright red, when the oxygen is taken to parts of the body and extracted is is a dark red or brown color. Many claim that our veins are blue, therefore blood that hasn't been exposed to oxygen is blue. Veins appear blue because we see them through the skin (Thorough, boring explanation).

I really can't believe that anyone would think that our blood is blue while inside the body.
It's purple-ish when it is de-oxygenated. The reason veins appear blue is because veins take the de-oxygenated blood back to the heart, I believe.
It turns blue from lack of oxygen, doesn't it?

Therefore, while flowing through your body, it is blue, and would turn red upon immediate oxygenation when pouring from your wound...
while the blood lacks oxygen, it looks blue. While it has oxygen, its red. Thats why it's red when you get a cut and why its often blue when you see it in your body.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
You know, the way you worded the poll, both answers are right....
because de-oxygenated blood is blue, and becomes red when exposed to oxygen, like when you get a cut
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
Both. Depends on if it's oxygenated or not.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
blood contains a chemical called haemoglobine, which turns red when exposed to oxygen, because it binds oxygen. thus, blood without oxygen is blue, but with oxygen is red.
Quote by Siege of Power
You know, the way you worded the poll, both answers are right....
because de-oxygenated blood is blue, and becomes red when exposed to oxygen, like when you get a cut

But it isn't. Blood that has been deoxygenated is not blue. It is a dark red or brown color.
Deoxygenated blood is NOT blue. It is simply a darker shade of red.

EDIT: Quick explanation as to why veins look blue:

Less red light is reflected by the tissue around the veins. This tissue absorbs lower frequency light, like red, and allows more blue to reflect.
Arteries are red, because they are being pumped away from the heart, which puts oxygen in your blood. Veins are blue, because they are headed towards you heart after carrying oxygen to various parts of your body. Thus, oxygenated blood is red, while unoxygenated blood is blue.

EDIT: ^ then would you like explaining to me why bruises aren't red?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Deoxygenated blood is NOT blue. It is simply a darker shade of red.

...You're a darker shade of red...
Blood in the veins is dark red due to it's high Co2 percentage. It appears blue because of something in the skin, same thing happens with blue eye pigment if i remember correctly.
In short, I voted red.
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
My veins are green. Therefor, my blood is green.

but thats just the way it looks on the outside, if you were to cut it open and look in it would be red

........ maybe not green then

1000 e-points to the first one to tell me what this is from
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
Red, otherwise when you donate blood it would be blue.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by CoreysMonster
blood contains a chemical called haemoglobine, which turns red when exposed to oxygen, because it binds oxygen. thus, blood without oxygen is blue, but with oxygen is red.

I was a Bio major before I dropped out.

And this guy is basically one hundred percent correct.
Quote by silversoulcage
I was a Bio major before I dropped out.

And this guy is basically one hundred percent correct.

Except that is not blue...
article is incorrect, my limited knowledge of the human body is. inside body it's blue, when it gets oxygen it's red. i don't care what you say
ok, artiries are way below our skin so we cannot see them, only a little bit in your wrist, neck....etc
blood IS blue when it is not expossed to oxygen, the only reason it might be brownish, or purplesh is that it is not in a enviroment that is free of anything in the air. they tested this out in space or something retarded. it is infact blue when there is NOTHING in the air.
Quote by atthedrive-thru
article is incorrect, my limited knowledge of the human body is. inside body it's blue, when it gets oxygen it's red. i don't care what you say
Okay there tough guy

Jeez I didn't know people were so convinced that it's blue, in reality blood is never blue.
Without a good harmonic knowledge, one cannot expect to become a great jazz soloist ~ Horace Silver

Quote by dietermoreno
Is it possible for 6 string guitar to tune lower than drop C and scales still work?
Last edited by marc137 at Dec 10, 2008,
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Except that is not blue...

Except that it is, like 9 out 10 people in this thread have just stated. You're in like the 8th grade aren't you?

Go ask you're closest Biology or science teacher tomorrow and they will tell you exactly what we have.

/Thread.
Quote by silversoulcage
Except that it is, like 9 out 10 people in this thread have just stated. You're in like the 8th grade aren't you?

Go ask you're closest Biology or science teacher tomorrow and they will tell you exactly what we have.

/Thread.

I'm actually in college, and am majoring in a field of biology. It is not blue. It is bright red when oxygenated, and dull red when de-oxygenated (btw, it always has SOME oxygen in it anyway).

Oh and since we're going off stats, I would say red wins seeing as more people voted for it...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Human blood is never blue in the body because it is never completely deoxygenated.

......... this is because you do bad things like smoking or drugs, damaging of the body.
but if you had a perfect body yes it would be blue.
Quote by FacetOfChaos
while the blood lacks oxygen, it looks blue. While it has oxygen, its red. Thats why it's red when you get a cut and why its often blue when you see it in your body.

Stand back, I'm going to try SCIENCE.
Hemoglobin in the red blood cells is utilized to carry oxygen to the various parts of your body. When hemoglobin is oxygenated, it takes on a strong red color, and the color is much weaker in deoxygenated blood (which is still roughly 75% oxygenated). The color here is a darker red or brownish color due to the (weakened) red of the hemoglobin and the yellowish color of your plasma. The blue of your veins is for various technical reasons I won't go in to detail about, but basically the amount of red light remitted by the vessel compared to the tissue around it is less than the decrease in blue light remission from tissue to vessel. If somebody wants to put that last bit in better terms than I can (science is just a hobby for me), here's the source.
But seriously, other than the exact reason veins appear blue I know all this because I actually paid attention in my biology classes. You guys are pathetic.
Quote by silversoulcage

/Thread.

That doesn't make it anymore true, and even if he was in 8th grade (which he is not), he actually got it right, blood is never blue.
Without a good harmonic knowledge, one cannot expect to become a great jazz soloist ~ Horace Silver

Quote by dietermoreno
Is it possible for 6 string guitar to tune lower than drop C and scales still work?
if you were to a cut deoxygenated vein in space it would indeed be blue
Quote by SeveralSpecies
I'm actually in college, and am majoring in a field of biology. It is not blue. It is bright red when oxygenated, and dull red when de-oxygenated (btw, it always has SOME oxygen in it anyway).

Oh and since we're going off stats, I would say red wins seeing as more people voted for it...

ok so your 18, and you major in biology, bio 30 and 20 dont count dude, so dont say you are a major in it.
but i still stand by my statement that blood is BLUE before it is oxygenated.
Quote by convictionless
......... this is because you do bad things like smoking or drugs, damaging of the body.
No! because blood is never blue! In fact if your blood is blue you should go see a doctor right away.

Quote by dietermoreno
Quote by atthedrive-thru

Quote by convictionless

A perfectly healthy adult still has ~75% oxygen binding in "deoxygenated" blood. There is no such thing as perfect- only normal and abnormal. The question is "is human blood red or blue INSIDE THE BODY?"
Quote by convictionless
Not even babies have blue blood, the blood carries more oxygen than a circuit round the circulatory system will absorb.

Nothing to do with damage.
Quote by convictionless
ok so your 18, and you major in biology, bio 30 and 20 dont count dude, so dont say you are a major in it.

...First off I'm not a major in BIOLOGY, I'm a major in Biological Anthropology. That wasn't supposed to have anything to do with the matter at hand, however.

Also, I'm 19.

And also, you're wrong.
Quote by convictionless

But it's still wrong, whether you stand on it or not.

Quote by dietermoreno
Page 1 of 2