Hey im thinking of buy a Dean MLX or maybe ML XM for xmas, can anyone tell me if thats a good idea or not? (bad phrasing i know but whatever)

oh, and before everyone starts ripping on my amp again, i know it sucks balls. regardless of what else i buy, i already have a crate V5 in my budget (low end tube amp) .
Needs a new sig

Scandanavian Metal > American Thrash/Groove> Everything Else

Gear:
Jackson JS32T Kelly
Ibanez RG120
RavenRG60
Boss Metal Zone
I havent heard much about agile (most of my music shopping is done on the gc website) but ive heard of them before. are they good metal guitars? cuz im a big metal fan.
Needs a new sig

Gear:
Jackson JS32T Kelly
Ibanez RG120
RavenRG60
Boss Metal Zone
No. No, and no.

Dean is a terrible company now a days. Their quality control is terrible and they overprice EVERYTHING. Same with Gibson...

http://www.rondomusic.com/ps900chrome.html

Is what you want. Hardly more expensive, but it plays like a guitar 5 times it's price

Any guitar is a good metal guitar with the right wood, amp and pickups. Zakk Wylde uses a Les Paul, which is, most often known for it's Rock/Blues/Jazz tones. Get the Agile. It's pickups are low-output, but you can always change them out. Seriously, you only really need to spend something like $600 MAXIMUM for a decent rig.

PS-900
Peavey Vypyr/Roland Cube 30 (What amp do you have right now?)
DiMarzio D-Activator/ D-Activator X (The X has more Bass, while the regular has more treble) Bridge and Neck

Total cost:
$700 assuming you need to buy an amp, otherwise it's $500USD.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Last edited by V.U.K at Dec 10, 2008,
thats a little over my budget. ive only got $425 and im also looking into getting some pedals, as well.

EDIT: im only vaguely considering the deans right now, too. i posted this to get a rough idea of how good they were.
Needs a new sig

Gear:
Jackson JS32T Kelly
Ibanez RG120
RavenRG60
Boss Metal Zone
Last edited by COBHC145 at Dec 10, 2008,
again, DXMG is a little overpriced, but ill look into it. (probably more than i would the agile, cuz i know jacksons are real good for metal. )

thanks for the info ya'll.
Needs a new sig

Gear:
Jackson JS32T Kelly
Ibanez RG120
RavenRG60
Boss Metal Zone
Quote by stratdud39
well agiles not really metal.
maybe a jackson dxmg?
but if you can go used, then go used, there are so many people selling there guitars now, you'll find a great one

Don't listen to him, he's a dumbass.

Any guitar could be a metal guitar, only differences would be sound.

I have a friend who uses a Fender Stratocaster for Metal, I have tons of friends that use LPs for metal (Not with EMGs, EMGs in an LP are fail).

Agile > Jackson until you get into Jackson's guitars in the $1000USD+ pricerange.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Quote by V.U.K
Dean is a terrible company now a days. Their quality control is terrible and they overprice EVERYTHING. Same with Gibson...

Everyone has their opinions on guitar companies, so I won't touch that one. Dean has good quality control right now, better than most. I've played a bunch of Deans and I've only seen one that actually should've been returned to the factory. It was a Dean EVO for the record

Back on subject. If money is an issue and you're wanting the ML shape (I love MLs btw) try saving for the MLXP with Matching Headstock. For a little more cash than the MLXM you can get Grover tuners and a better bridge. It's worth the extra cash, no doubt.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I purchased the ML XP (matching headstock) for my G/F as a starter for $250 probably little less then a year ago. This guitar is actually alot better then I expected. I was a bit nervous about the made in china part, but really it's a nonissue with this guitar. I consider it a great starter guitar. it plays pretty nice and has a neck profile similar to my 79 series ML. I haven't changed the pickups on it, but that's something you could do anytime later. If this is your price range i think you'd be happy with it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by V.U.K
Don't listen to him, he's a dumbass.

Any guitar could be a metal guitar, only differences would be sound.

I have a friend who uses a Fender Stratocaster for Metal, I have tons of friends that use LPs for metal (Not with EMGs, EMGs in an LP are fail).

Agile > Jackson until you get into Jackson's guitars in the $1000USD+ pricerange.

Lol, you call some person a dumbass, yet you think EMG's in a LP is bad.

I've heard some of the sexiest metal sounds with that setup. Agile can most definitely play metal though, I'd consider changing the pickups if that was the case though.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW