I've been playing acoustic guitar for about a year now and have recently bought a les paul studio. The guitar sounds fantastic but it's got tons of sustain compared to an acoustic. It's painful trying to play something like the intro to Ain't talkin' 'bout love.

I think my problem is that I never learnt how to mute notes. Which hand is easier to mute with, or should I just go ahead and learn it both ways?
u have to learn to mute with the right and left hand...and they give completely different sounds
I learned to do it with left hand, then i noticed that i should learn both, so i did. and ^+1. They do give different sounds.
Say hello to Tilt-A-Whirl

Quote by a6l6e6x1
i shave my pubes, so should they

wait, i mean no i dont! hehe

*backs slowly out of the thread*
Quote by ericos96
I've been playing acoustic guitar for about a year now and have recently bought a les paul studio. The guitar sounds fantastic but it's got tons of sustain compared to an acoustic. It's painful trying to play something like the intro to Ain't talkin' 'bout love.

I think my problem is that I never learnt how to mute notes. Which hand is easier to mute with, or should I just go ahead and learn it both ways?

You need to learn to use both - palm muting with the strumming hand is used to give you a percussive, chugging sound and is often used for heavier rhythm parts.

Your fretting hand is the one that you usually use to prevent unwanted strings ringing out. A lot of that isn't really muting as such, it's simply down to the control of your fingers - if you fret sloppily then your more likely to hit other strings so work on your control , economy of motion and fretting accurately.

Also, turn down the gain on your amp, I can guarantee it's too high.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 11, 2008,