Page 1 of 3
If you dig Jazz-Rock Fusion, this is your spot, we're talkin' miles, weather report, mahavishnu, return to forever, jeff beck, bill cobbham, allan holdsworth, soft machine, gong, and any other jazz-rock group, so feel free to make recommendations on new groups
Good stuff. I've always loved Al Di Meola (Elegant Gyspy, his debut, is amazing. I've got in on vinyl) and Return to Forever with Chick Corea. Also, check out Chris Poland or OHM for some great fusion playing.
I'm a huge fan of Hiromi's Sonicboom

Hiromi is an odd little asian girl, and an increidble piano/keyboard player

and with Dave "FUZE" on guitar
its an incredible combination.

and of course Al DiMeola, I dont need to give any explanation on him.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Birds of Fire is for sure my favortie fusion album if not my favorite all time album.
"See the Glory Of the Royal Scam"
I gotta look for some Soft Machine stuff, i never seen anything in the record stores i got into to.

but anyway i just picked up two new fusion album: Secrets by Herbie Hancock and The Live in Europe album by Billy Cobham/George Duke Band.

They both are pretty funky and recommended to anyone who digs funky jazz
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by ohhey9040
You gotta love The Soft Machine. Third is absolutely brilliant.

Thanks for recommending that album. I bought it for 3.99 off itunes and its pure greatness. I really like Moon In June and Slightly All the Time.
Last edited by Dchild042 at Dec 15, 2008,
dude just got "Get Up With It" by Miles Davis today, super kill!!!

groovy numbers on this one, hot jazz man im tellin you

who else digs this
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Since this is a guitar forum.....

I think one of the highest watermarks in jazz-rock came with John McLaughlin's "Heart of Things" group. They released just two albums, as far as I know: "The Heart of Things" and "Live in Paris." The studio album is amazing and has a couple tunes the live one doesn't have, but the live album is one of my desert island discs. There's a tune called "Mother Tongues" that has some of the most unbelievable playing I've ever heard, and all the compositions are first-class.

Here's a Youtube clip of the group.

Any guitar player who's getting into fusion should check out Tribal Tech. The guitar player, Scott Henderson, is one of the most phenomenal guitarists ever, and a great improviser. The whole band is great, too, everyone in the group is a monstrous player.

Here's a Youtube clip of Tribal Tech. The first minute is a joke- be sure to listen at least a few minutes in.
Quote by heavyweather77
Since this is a guitar forum.....

I think one of the highest watermarks in jazz-rock came with John McLaughlin's "Heart of Things" group. They released just two albums, as far as I know: "The Heart of Things" and "Live in Paris." The studio album is amazing and has a couple tunes the live one doesn't have, but the live album is one of my desert island discs. There's a tune called "Mother Tongues" that has some of the most unbelievable playing I've ever heard, and all the compositions are first-class.

is that with Dominique DiPiazza on bass, and Trilok Gurtu on percussions?
No, Matt Garrison is on bass and Dennis Chambers is on drums. Dominic and Trilok are great, too, for sure. Check out the youtube clip, though, Matt and Dennis are no joke. Matt has a four-finger picking technique that he develop to help play unison lines with McLaughlin. It's freaky.
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
dude just got "Get Up With It" by Miles Davis today, super kill!!!

groovy numbers on this one, hot jazz man im tellin you

who else digs this

Definitely. It's a shame it doesn't get the recognition of his other fusion albums.
Yea its such a good fusion album! Honky Tonk is real good and Rated X is what i was looking for.

ohhey....i completely see why you love In a Silent Way...the second track is my favorite

i bought it awhile ago but never listened to it. but then i gave it a listen

i like how it starts out like real chill and like a lullaby, then it gets into a groove with that awesome line that the bass and organ start playing! O MY GOD! that is such an awesome riff
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Last edited by Gris-Gris-Man at Dec 18, 2008,
Why is it that jazz fusion doesn't get nearly any radio play or as much recognition as it truly deserves? It's such fantastic music.
Quote by bensley56
Why is it that jazz fusion doesn't get nearly any radio play or as much recognition as it truly deserves? It's such fantastic music.

i think you just answered yourself

but i did hear a couple Miles fusion songs on the radio...Black Satin and some other one, i dont know what it was, but i was super kill
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by bensley56

I'll tell you why. People these days are a bunch of pussies who can't take any more dissonance than an unaltered dominant 7th chord, and maybe a 7#9 if used as a vamp in funk. I was listening to Bitches Brew a few weeks ago, and my friends were all "OMG, what the hell is that noise?" Sure, it's not exactly the most accessible fusion album, but there's a lot more out there that's harder to "get," like Last Exit.

When you look at lead sheets of old standards, which were the big pop songs of the day, you'll often find some rather colorful chords, like minor 6s and 7#5s. These chords create lots of tension, and make resolution sound even better. I'm determined to bring dissonance back to popular music.
^Do it. Lord knows pop music needs to be shaken up a bit (But then again, doesn't it always?). To get back on topic, I just started listening to Return to Forever's debut. Holy **** that is some quality fusion.
When you look at lead sheets of old standards, which were the big pop songs of the day, you'll often find some rather colorful chords, like minor 6s and 7#5s. These chords create lots of tension, and make resolution sound even better. I'm determined to bring dissonance back to popular music.
---------------------------------------------------------

most people today that listen to the radio, just look for something catchy or a hook in the song....no one looks past that....me and my friends know whats up when it comes to music, and we're gonna start making music, and dissonance is a main concern...sound/noise is music.
'Music is the best"
Zappa
I'm not really sure if this is Jazz-Rock/Fusion but they are pretty kewl:

T-Square
Truth is my favorite song
GEAR

Ibanez sr506
Yamaha RBX170
Squier strat...
Hughes&Kettner Basskick BK300

Quote by ChemicalFire
Where's my lynching bat?
good fusion album: "King Kong-Jean Luc Ponty Plays the Music of Frank Zappa"

by Jean Luc Ponty of course, great fusion, George Duke on keys, FZ featured on a song on guitar, if you like FZ pick it up
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Derek Trucks has some fusion-esk songs on his album Joyful Noise. Check out Lookout 31 it is very John McLaughlin type playing.
I got Jeff Beck - Wired for xmas, and loved it, so i think i had better listen to some of your recommendations? yes?
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Theres a Jeff Beck Thread with loads of info, it finally started to pick up. And is that the only album of his you have?
Quote by Dchild042
Derek Trucks has some fusion-esk songs on his album Joyful Noise. Check out Lookout 31 it is very John McLaughlin type playing.

derek trucks actually does ALOT of fusion stuff. derek trucks only ever gets noticed for his slide blues playing, but really, he is one of the best fusion players around, and an amazing interpreter or world music.

im surprised i havent seen anyone discussing Larry Carlton yet.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by Dchild042
Theres a Jeff Beck Thread with loads of info, it finally started to pick up. And is that the only album of his you have?

Yeah, I've been there, and I have a whole bunch of downloaded songs (don't look at me like that) but that's the only album I OWN.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Ok well that helps. One of the first albums i owned by him was Truth and that really caught my interest, its probably his most Bluesy album. And as ive listened to more ive come to like "Jeff", Blow by Blow, Jeff Beck with the Jan Hammer Group Live, Live at Ronnie Scotts, and Official Bootleg USA 06 which might be a little hard to find but it is quality.
check out area, theyre foreign so they dont have english lyrics, but man they rule so much.
Quote by R.I.P.Jimi
I got Jeff Beck - Wired for xmas, and loved it, so i think i had better listen to some of your recommendations? yes?

get blow by blow, you wont be sorry trust me
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by Axegrinder#9
on the note of jazz/rock fusion not getting radio play - you'll get radio play if you're clever about injecting your fusion in a solution of sophisticated pop-melodies.

I mean to say, listen to Steely Dan's "The Royal Scam" and "Aja".

true that, two great fusion albums with radio play...Cheap Thrills got some radio play also, but who cares...the radio blows anyway
'Music is the best"
Zappa
yea i know of a couple stations that play good music around my area

Morgan St. campus radio station (great jazz)
and theres a station that i can get in Baltimore from Washington DC, lucky me! they play some good jazz also, thats where i heard some songs from "On the Corner"
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Page 1 of 3