Alrighty. So I bought my guitar for my Freshman year of high school because I signed up for Beginner's Guitar. I got a C+ in that class, tops, and afterwards I never picked my guitar up again. On occasion I'd pick it up, play something dumb like "Jingle Bells" and go back to my computer. For some reason, I've never had the gumption to practice, practice, practice, which always shamed my dad because he is an amazing bassist.

Today I was listening to my favorite band when the intro to a song came up and I was inspired to attempt the riff. Generally, when I attempt a riff, it sounds crappy and I don't bother with it every again. This one, however, didn't sound so bad. I'm thinking I may try it out. The song's title is Theatre of Pain, and it is written by Blind Guardian.

Question is, should someone who has virtually no guitar experience at all attempt this song? Yes, solo included. If so, how many hours of practice will it take? My fingers are far from nimble.

Thankee sai.
I have no idea how difficult that song is to play, but all I can say is that if it's motivating you to practice, it's a hell of a lot better than not playing at all. So just give it a shot!
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy
a lot of players learn a little then stop for a while. eventually they pick it up again and get good at playing. so go for it i dont know the song but trying is not gonna hurt you
True, true, this is one of the only songs I've heard lately to make me say, "Hey, that riff is amazing, and doesn't sound too difficult! I'mma try that!

Generally I only listen to Speed Metal, so all the songs I listen to are at about the same speed as DragonForce.
Well, if it gets you to play, it gets you to play. I remember when i first started playing I just learned all the tool songs(my favorite band then), and that gave me some bad habits, so be careful.
Lyrics so phat, you just might gain weight.
~Digable Planets
Wow. Another Tool fan. Sweet stuff. My favorite by them is 10,000 Days, although The Grudge is also amazing.
Quote by sbinlb
a lot of players learn a little then stop for a while. eventually they pick it up again and get good at playing. so go for it i dont know the song but trying is not gonna hurt you

+1
You can't get anywhere if you don't try. If it's too hard, then it's too hard. You can always just learn something a little easier.
yo dude u should go for it. if its tabs a complete noob at guitar should be able to get it.even though some techniques are hard to understand.but if you really like the song do it and work your way to other songs from there
Just listening to it on youtube at the moment, certainly doesn't sound too far out of reach to someone relatively new to the guitar. You may have problems with a few of the techniques and your accuracy at first and the solo will be tricky (especially at about 2:50 and some of the faster sections) thanks to the harmonised guitars, but if you know the song well you should be able to play quite a bit of the song with a little patience.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I stop playing when i first started for the same reason. Aaron Lewis and Eric Clapton inspire me to keep playing. I been in dark times and the guitar is one thing that make smile no matter what. Dont give up and you will see what I mean.
Last edited by Blackwaterson89 at Dec 10, 2008,
DO IT DO IT DO IT
you can't put any limit yourself, just try and see what happens
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

Quote by Andrewbiles
Just listening to it on youtube at the moment, certainly doesn't sound too far out of reach to someone relatively new to the guitar. You may have problems with a few of the techniques and your accuracy at first and the solo will be tricky (especially at about 2:50 and some of the faster sections) thanks to the harmonised guitars, but if you know the song well you should be able to play quite a bit of the song with a little patience.

Wow, thank you for looking up the song. That's really cool of you. You made it easier for me to grasp what people mean and stuff, rather than just simple advice that I generally get from friends.
Well there's no point telling you to give it a go if the song is filled with pinch harmonics, wild tapping and jazzy chord changes so figured it was worth at least having a listen to the song and being realistic about it. That's not to say the song will be an easy one to learn, especially if you haven't played much, but the way to improve on the guitar is to push yourself and have persistence.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic