I'm looking at one for sale on Ebay, looks like I might be able to get a really good price on it and I was just wondering what the UG opinion on MIJ Strats are. Of course, the Ebay vendor harps on about the quality of the MIJ Strats, saying they're almost as good as American Strats, but how much of this is just sales technique and how much is fact?

Thanks!
from what i've heard, they're better than mexican, but not quite as good as american
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
They are almost as good as American Strats. I've played one and I loved it. Go for it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
is it a non-export one? if so, then it's probably pretty good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i believe you have to see where the seller's location is. i was exported since the dealer was from kyoto japan. and yes they are as good as american maybe even better from my experience of owning one.
Quote by jb335
How can I tell the difference between export and non-export?

do you have the specs? generally speaking, the non-export ones have alder/ash bodies, USA electronics and pickups, etc. the export ones are basswood and don't have as good electronics or pickups.

as i said, though, that's a generalisation.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
do you have the specs? generally speaking, the non-export ones have alder/ash bodies, USA electronics and pickups, etc. the export ones are basswood and don't have as good electronics or pickups.

as i said, though, that's a generalisation.

ahh that made sense since i saw couple 57 reissues that was made out of basswood and that throw me off for a few moments
EDIT: i think the reasoning is that they don't want the better Japanese-made ones to completely cannibalise the rest of the range- considering, by and large, they're nicer guitars for a whole lot less cash. they destroy the Mexican ones, and give even the higher-end USA ones a good run for their money...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
From what I could tell after looking into these a while back, the Fujigen strats are the ones to get. They are supposedly the ones that have the "made in Japan" printed at the base of the neck as opposed to the headstock.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm tempted with a japanese 52' reissue telecaster..

It's a non-export, ash bodied guitar with texas specials in. How would that compare to say, an american standard?

It has "Crafted in Japan" on the base of the neck if that makes a difference?

97'/98' modal.

GOing for a similar price to a highway one.
a 52 reissue? i thought 57 is the lowest year they go. but yeah from what ur telling me, ash body and texas special. same spec as my 57 reissue.
^ i think they go to '52 in telecasters. I've tried a '62 reissue tele, with rosewood board. was very nice, but the spec is pretty different to the american standards- the spec is more like the american vintage reissues, except without the nitro finish (maybe some other differences too, i'm not sure). really depends on whether or not you want a vintage-spec tele.

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/2008fender/telecaster.htm
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
(there are a couple of different versions of the '52 on that link i posted, by the way)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(there are a couple of different versions of the '52 on that link i posted, by the way)

Yeah I noticed that and referenced the spec's against the one I'm getting.

Now the difficult decision of wether to keef it or not.

I'm essentially buying it for that mellow, telecaster neck pup sound. But I need some hum-bucking on it somewhere.

Maybe a lil' 59 in the bridge..
MIJ are great; definitely rival the MIAs in terms of quality. My Dad has a MIJ Jazz Bass and it's awesome.

Japan is pretty good at guitars. I mean, look at Ibanez Prestige models.
MIJ Fenders are for the most part fantastic guitars that rival (and often better) the MIA Fenders.

Back in the '80s, Fender nearly went bust several times, there was a new guitar culture, and they weren't a central part of it. Fender had to move most of its production to Japan, where production costs were considerably cheaper. The guitars made in these years were the first Squiers, and are fantastic guitars. I've played quite a few MIJ Squiers that would put alot of what Fender USA currently makes to shame.

After a while, they began production in some companies that were cheaper again than Japan uner the name Squier, and began using the name Fender Japan for their Japanese made guitars. This actually led to a problem initially, as many guitarists considered these MIJ Fenders to be as good, if not better than the MIA Fenders, so Fender limited where Japanese built Fenders could be distributed. This is why there are Japanese Fenders built for export, which are purposely built to a lower standard of quality than MIA Fenders, and non-export models, which are built to an incredible standard.

I'd love an EJ sig Strat (CS quality for a reasonable price), but personally I think that most USA Fenders are overpriced for what they are. I'd rather just go the whole nine yards and get a Suhr Classic built to my specs.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I love my MIJ strat. :]
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by Prophet of Page
MIJ Fenders are for the most part fantastic guitars that rival (and often better) the MIA Fenders.

After a while, they began production in some companies that were cheaper again than Japan uner the name Squier, and began using the name Fender Japan for their Japanese made guitars. This actually led to a problem initially, as many guitarists considered these MIJ Fenders to be as good, if not better than the MIA Fenders, so Fender limited where Japanese built Fenders could be distributed. This is why there are Japanese Fenders built for export, which are purposely built to a lower standard of quality than MIA Fenders, and non-export models, which are built to an incredible standard.

Just to add to that, Fenders labeled "MIJ" (Made In Japan) are intended as exports to America. "CIJ" (Crafted In Japan) are the superior non-export models, which can be found in a few other regions including Europe, but not America.
Quote by BrickIsRed
Just to add to that, Fenders labeled "MIJ" (Made In Japan) are intended as exports to America. "CIJ" (Crafted In Japan) are the superior non-export models, which can be found in a few other regions including Europe, but not America.

Wrong, MIJ was what they called all of the Fender Japan models up until about 1999 or so, then they changed it to Crafted in Japan.
dunno about insane, but assuming it's in good nick etc. it should be pretty good, if not very good.

pretty much what prophet of page was saying, in other words.

i've got a tokai goldstar strat copy (also japanese made), they were so good fender sued them. actually tokai made some of the newer fender japan models (in 2005, maybe? not certain).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Christ Dave it feels wierd when you of all people call me by my full screen name...
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
dunno about insane, but assuming it's in good nick etc. it should be pretty good, if not very good.

i've got a tokai goldstar strat copy (also japanese made), they were so good fender sued them. actually tokai made some of the newer fender japan models (in 2005, maybe? not certain).

Dude! I have a silverstar .
Also, watch out for MIJ Squiers, specifically those with Serial Numbers prefixed by JV and SQ ... some mint ones have sold for cheap. These are highly collectible and have top-notch hardware and electronics.

Another steal, sometimes when they go unnoticed and sell for cheap, are the MIK Squier ProTones ... Ash, superior hardware and electonics.

Quote by thellamaking
Wrong, MIJ was what they called all of the Fender Japan models up until about 1999 or so, then they changed it to Crafted in Japan.

i think its up to around 95 or so they changed it to CIJ
Quote by thellamaking

Are you sure? I have a 2006 Crafted In Japan Aerodyne Strat, and recall someone showing me a 2006 Made In Japan Aerodyne strat they bought in America that was a bit uglier (cream binding instead of white, no pickgaurd).
Quote by Prophet of Page
Christ Dave it feels wierd when you of all people call me by my full screen name...

haha, it's just so everyone reading the thread knows who i'm talking about, tom.

Quote by willieturnip
Dude! I have a silverstar .

haha, woops! sweet!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Jason43
FThey are supposedly the ones that have the "made in Japan" printed at the base of the neck as opposed to the headstock.

Anyone else agree with this? Not that I doubt ya, Jason, but I'd like to be sure I'm getting a non-export one. No basswood for me!