Poll: is keeping animals in a zoo ok?
Poll Options
View poll results: is keeping animals in a zoo ok?
yes
18 41%
no
10 23%
yes if they are born in captivity but not if they are taken from the wild
16 36%
Voters: 44.
the subject came up in school today about whether people thought keeping animals in zoo's is wrong or ok.

what do you think?

i believe its ok. because if you think about it they are alot safer in a zoo. people think that animals run around free through the jungles all over the place and that they are free when really they are just confined to an area that is their territory. the only reason that area is big is because their neccesaties are spread out, like their water hole is one place, den is another etc etc.
all zoo's do is bring that area into a smaller zone and away from predators, and the only thing the animal has to worry about is people being cruel to them which sadly happens too much
Quote by yo_peh
i love you!
have cookie

Quote by RocksAwakening5
^^^ So much win, omg.
Sure, they get cared for and bred to ensure there are future generations of said animal, and we gain valuable scientific information about em.

Sounds win win to me.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
I'm not sure about this subject.

We do gain a lot of scientific information from it, but at the same time we've plucked these animals from their natural habitat and are now keeping them in a cage.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Think about how many people come in to zoos and see animals that they never would of known about. Because they are touched by them and educated about them, they want to help them if they are endangered or threatened. Although it isn't fair to the animals, the conservation that it starts makes it all worth it.
I Want One!!!

The Kraftwerkers: The Society for the Appreciation of Kraftwerk
Quote by Salute to Jaco
Think about how many people come in to zoos and see animals that they never would of known about. Because they are touched by them and educated about them, they want to help them if they are endangered or threatened. Although it isn't fair to the animals, the conservation that it starts makes it all worth it.

kinda like a sacrifice for the greater good.
plus the sacrifice is easy living....just a lot of boredom.
but no fear
no hunger
no disease.
thats a pretty good trade off
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
I feel like PETA is raping our board atm.

I think its good, helps us care for the animals and even reproduce struggling species. "Taken from the wild" will probably be interpreted negatively. There are animals that are sick or trapped or even going rampant on towns/cities. Zoos don't go out in and tranq animals that would look cute in their zoo.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
i think if theyre born in captivity its ok
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
yes:
-the zoo must be suitable
-participates in breeding/convervation programs and scientific research (i think this should be the main priority of zoos, not entertainment)
-you can learn alot about wildlife from zoos
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

the zoo i went to had 5 giraffes in a fenced area that was about 30 yards long and 40 yards wide, it was pathetic.

i think its ok to keep animals in a zoo, but give them some room at least..
If it's in one of those enclosures that's meant to recreate their natural habitat, I can live with it.

If it's the tiny space with the bare concrete floor, it's not right.
Quote by Salute to Jaco

I dislike you.

Why? Because you summed up everything I was about to say. Good on you! If people can learn about animals and learn to love them, then maybe steps will be taken towards saving that species.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
There's nothing wrong with it, they just get a shitty amount of space.
Check out my latest recording on my profile
Quote by blackflag49
If it's in one of those enclosures that's meant to recreate their natural habitat, I can live with it.

If it's the tiny space with the bare concrete floor, it's not right.

There's a fantastic zoo near Arnhem, NL called Burgers Zoo, and I have to say it's the best example of natural habitat recreation I've seen. A lot of the animals live together (with obvious exceptions), and they even have roadrunners running around the desert section of the park.
I think zoos are an amazing idea. Next time the world floods, it's going to be so much easier to find two of each species.