Hey there buddies. First post here. My name is P3n6u!n 0f d00m...just kidding..har..
I'm conflicted my friends. I have a budget of around 800 to 850 dollars. I am looking for a new acoustic/electric. Everyone in the world has told me Taylor or Martin but I am wondering if anyone here has diff opinion. I actually don't like the sound of low end taylors (too bright) so maybe something a bit more bass heavy or darker sounding. Also I want an acoustic electric so I can plug it into my sound card instead of mic'ng it. Will that even sound good or is mic'ng the best way? anyways thanks
800-850 will only get you a low end taylor or martin .. in that price range i will suggest you get a takamine preferably with a cedar top .. takamines have alot more bass then most i have played .. good luck friend
take it easy man .. its just a thread
I was thinking the same thing as timmyinpajamas, even before I read his post. Funny thing too' my name is Tim and I am wearing pajama pants. I think a Takamine is just the thing for you. An EANC10 is perfect. I almost got one once, but I ended up saving for another year and getting myself something a little nicer.

They are just above your budget, but you could probably find one used. Like here, *ebay link removed*

They normally go around this price on ebay and gbase. I dont always recomend buying a guitar without playing it, but Takamine has pretty good quality control, and you still have extra money in your budget to get a professional setup.

Also, Frank Black uses one live. I love the Pixies so I thought it was cool.
Yeah... my dad plays a takamine acoustic bass, and it has almost no twang. either go with the takamine, or you can find epiphones for pretty cheap...
O no, not Ovations. Unless you are using it for plugged in purposes only, they are sad. Plugged in though, they are great.
Takamines are great. Very smooth sound all the way from soft to hard playing. Very consistent. They also have great playability.

I also agree on tlt31 on this one. Ovations are only really good plugged in. Unplugged... you might get better tone out of an electric guitar unplugged.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I would also recommend having a look at Takamine. Alvarez is another great place to look in this price range. I have played several models of this Alvarez and they all sounded equally impressive:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-Masterworks-Series-MD60C-Dreadnought-AcousticElectric-Cutaway?sku=518842

I know the price on this website is a little out of your budget, but I've seen this guitars selling locally for like $600 or even less for brand new ones. So check around if you're interested.
You don't need to mike an acoustic-electric, and Gibson doesn't really offer anything in this price range.
you might also want to look at seagulls. most of their guitars are cedar which usually get a warmer tone(correct me if im wrong)
they are a really good value guitar. made by same company as godin if im not mistaken.
Any of you have experience with Larivee or Babicz? Just curious, a buddy of mine is exceptionally good at guitar and plays a Larivee.

BTW thanks for the replies so far.
Larrivee's are great guitars. The first time I played one, I thought it was rather plain sounding. The next time I gave it a more thorough playing and loved the little subtle things about the sound. They're high quality guitars. If you can get one for your price range then it's a great choice.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.