Hey guys. I have decided after 4 years that indeed...the Jazz III just aint for me. I played the small ones for roughly 3 and a half years and I have been using the XLs for 6 months. I have used reds, blacks, tortexs and the latest ones being the new ultex ones. I think I am drawn to them because I hear everyone else raving about them. I just can't seem to get any control with them. The normal size are too small for me to keep in position for more than a few licks, and the big ones just seem to stick with me. So all in all I think these picks have hindered my picking ability for all these years. However I found a 1mm Ibanez pick in my house and I think these are definetely the way to go, I know from having dabbled with them that they wear out quite quick, but if its a pick I will enjoy playing with and feel comfortable with, I think the extra money is worth it. I think tomorrow I am going to order me some of the Paul Gilbert signature Ibanez picks. Not because of his name, but because I have heard they are the best pick that Ibanez make from numerous people.

So my question is, has anyone else ever been in the same boat. Maybe not with a pick but an aspect of technique or something. Something that you have believed is the best because your hero or friends or whatever play in a certain way or use a certain piece of gear that you in turn believe you must incorporate only to discover the hard way that it hinders your progress. For instance, another personal example would be my picking, I spent a good couple of years trying to make sure my hand was sitting like my personal flavor of the months hand before realising that you have to actually play the way that is comfortable to you(surprise, surprise lol).
Andy
Picks....Ive been through it to. I started out with heavy by fender. then went to tortex and been on them for about 18 years now. I started with 1 mm. Why? Heavy music needed a heavy pick. Then I read an article that said Kirk Hammett played a 81 mm or something like that. So I tried a 82 mm (yellow), (at least I think this is correct). Now I have a collection of different gauges. The red is used for acoustic strumming, the orange is used for a heavier rockish strumming and some leads, the yellow is used for the heavier blues/ heavier rockin and some metal and of course the blue 1 mm is still the favored beast for balls out heavy s@@+!!

I did find a pick at a music store that I liked when I first used it but havent since. its a "Big Stubby." red transparent with a dimple for your fingers. not my cup of tea but it sure was comfortable when I was using it.
Jazz IIIs are imo the best pick out their for fast, accurate playing. But picks are personal choice. Whatever you play, play it well!
Quote by bastratard
I did find a pick at a music store that I liked when I first used it but havent since. its a "Big Stubby." red transparent with a dimple for your fingers. not my cup of tea but it sure was comfortable when I was using it.
I've been using Stubby's (the smaller ones) for awhile now. Real nice pick.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
When I read the topic title, I told myself I'd recommend Jazz picks. Haha. Unfortunately, I've never had much issue with picks or picking techniques so I couldn't relate. Only recommend my apparently typical Jazz picks. ._.

Edit: Oh yeah. Big Stubbies are awesome. They slide right off for string skipping and they're great for pinch harmonics.
I've used just about every type of pick you can imagine - I have a drawer full. But I've gotten it sorted out now and just use .96mm Dunlop Gel Picks for almost everything and occasionally use the Dava Control picks on acoustic (I would use them for all my acoustic playing, but the damn things cost $5 for a 6 pack).

Your best bet is to just go buy a couple of handfulls of different picks and play with each one of them for a while. You'll eventually find "your" style of pick.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
I've always used the Dunlop Jazz 204s. I have some of the Jazz III picks, by it is to sharp for my playing. The 204s get a very warm tone out of everything I play.
You don't like Jazz IIIs?

Anything else is like picking with a rusty spoon after you've had a Jazz III.

That said, I think everyone has had stupid fixations. I tried to angle my pick upwards to get Shawn Lane's picking style, but my hands just aren't that flexible and I introduced lots of tension before realising that.
Yeah Freepower...thats what I have been thinking all these years...but its just not for me. These Ibanez picks seem to be the very ticket for me.
Andy
well with me it started from the very beginning....

at first i thought i should have a fender strat.... i'm glad they sold it and gave me the guitar i have now instead.

then i went through a myriad of both pick and string combos. i ended up staying with .70-.011 for strings and tortex picks. after hearing so many people rave about the jazz III's i might have to get me some this weekend and see whats up.
Well, basically there's never gonna be one thing for everything, but as close as there is for me, it's a black Jazz III with scoring for extra grip. I don't really like the red ones... although the old Jazz III reds are harder and pointier and sound amazing.

What guitar are you playing now Z?

Anyway, it's always fun finding out about some radically different setups. I really want to get a hollowbody with insanely heavy strings now, I've never played one and heavy strings are so yummy...
I use 1MM yellow elephant dunlop picks. Never liked the jazz3; Imo it's isnt versatile enough sonical wise. Which can be a good things, if u want 1 consistent picking sound.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Freepower
You don't like Jazz IIIs?

Anything else is like picking with a rusty spoon after you've had a Jazz III.

That said, I think everyone has had stupid fixations. I tried to angle my pick upwards to get Shawn Lane's picking style, but my hands just aren't that flexible and I introduced lots of tension before realising that.

That's so weird dude, I have no tension at all with my upwards angle, but I do when I try it downwards
I've got a whole box full of different picks I've tried. Jazz III's are maybe my 2nd
choice. The very best pick I've found so far is the Ultra Pick which is made by
Steve Crowell:

http://www.easyjazzguitar.com/stuff_for_sale

I swear by these picks. I almost can't pick without them. Of course, pick choice is
fairly personal.

The only downside to these picks I've found is that they tend to degrade faster
than another picks. It must be the shape of them because they wear into odd-
shaped grooves which you can maintain by sanding for a while (I sand them
immediately before using to sharpen the tip anyway).