I want to play blues and jazz but don't know where to start. Most books just offer you licks or solo compositions from artists. I'm looking for an instructional, full blown course that will develop me as a blues/jazz player.

Anyone know of any good books, cds, or dvds? Or how I should start learning?
learn chords and scales for blues and jazz, and practice until you're good at writing/playing your own music, it takes years of practice
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Dude, just learn how to read tabs, listen to the music you like, rock probably. Start writing your own stuff with licks you've learned from songs, and repeat for 2 years. Picking up a style of playing on your own is how it's done, otherwise it's just the same old music. Just try it on your own for a while
Quote by lucascrouse
Dude, just learn how to read tabs, listen to the music you like, rock probably. Start writing your own stuff with licks you've learned from songs, and repeat for 2 years. Picking up a style of playing on your own is how it's done, otherwise it's just the same old music. Just try it on your own for a while

You clearly don't know anything about jazz. Check out Mel Bays Complete Jazz Guitar Method, it covers pretty much every chord you can imagine, examples of how to use them, scales, modes, arpeggios etc.

Edit: also listen to lots of jazz!
I'm looking for an instructional, full blown course that will develop me as a blues/jazz player.

outside of a music school that imposes discipline, schedules and goals..your quest will be difficult.

you can buy books, cd's etc .. but it will be up to you to go beyond what they show you..remember...most of what books show you is "static" ... you have to apply that knowledge and "experiment" with it so that it becomes alive...

same with song studies...i know players that know most songs in a fake book...but take the book away and they are lost...

then there are the ones that know those songs in every key...and can re-harmonize the given chord progressions and play the melodies in all octaves and in 3rds 6ths..etc

let your hunger for knowledge guide you

check out john mclaughlins course ... its for those that want to excel at music ... very intense...

play well

wolf
Quote by wolflen
I'm looking for an instructional, full blown course that will develop me as a blues/jazz player.

outside of a music school that imposes discipline, schedules and goals..your quest will be difficult.

you can buy books, cd's etc .. but it will be up to you to go beyond what they show you..remember...most of what books show you is "static" ... you have to apply that knowledge and "experiment" with it so that it becomes alive...

same with song studies...i know players that know most songs in a fake book...but take the book away and they are lost...

then there are the ones that know those songs in every key...and can re-harmonize the given chord progressions and play the melodies in all octaves and in 3rds 6ths..etc

let your hunger for knowledge guide you
Haha, oh wow. Wait, you're not serious are you?

It's probably easier to learn without a music school. Just read some books, study a fakebook, maybe join a jazz band, jam with some jazz guys, talk with some jazz guys (finding them is hard though) and listen to some jazz.

Did you really think guys like Charlie Parker and Dizzy went to jazz school? You think they could afford berklee? Hell, some of those jazz guys from the 20's stole their instruments (alot of the earliest pre-dixieland black musicians probably did). They learnt their theory from other musicians and they got their style from listening/playing other jazz songs.

If you really want a book, T/S, grab a copy of Mark Levines "Jazz Theory book" or the book Jazzology. Jody Fisher has released some books I've enjoyed.
Jazz music: the last refuge of the talentless...
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
Quote by mattiwillohouse
Jazz music: the last refuge of the talentless...
2/3, maybe 3/10 because of your pop-punk avatar. Possibly 5/10 just because you're on MT. Still, a poor effort and I think you should remain under your bridge.

Guys, please don't feed him.
^^You really are quite stupid aren't you?

I've don't own any jazz, and I've never particularly liked it. However, I still acknowledge and respect the vast musical knowledge and technical ability that they have.

I'm smart enough to have realised that a good jazz player can easily go toe-to-toe with a good metal or rock player and will likely wipe the floor with them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 11, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull

I've don't own any jazz, and I've never particularly liked it. However, I still acknowledge and respect the vast musical knowledge and technical ability that they have.

I'm smart enough to have realised that a good jazz player can easily go toe-to-toe with a good metal or rock player and will likely wipe the floor with them.

What did I say? Don't feed the troll
I actually did get into with some Mark Tremonti fanboy in the modern rock forum.

He said something like.. Metal is a much more complex and difficult genre than jazz
Quote by demonofthenight

What did I say? Don't feed the troll

sorry, but you're not my mother.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by demonofthenight
2/3, maybe 3/10 because of your pop-punk avatar. Possibly 5/10 just because you're on MT. Still, a poor effort and I think you should remain under your bridge.

Guys, please don't feed him.

Sorry Dad...

Hey, it was a joke. You take yourself way too seriously my man - lighten up.

Quote by zimmzimmer
Quote by steven seagull

again I'll tell you what I told the last dude - you aint no one's daddy on here pal. It was a joke that's all. Jeez!

you take music (and it's discussion) far too seriously.. of course I'm aware of the 'vast technical and musica ...... zzzzzzzzzzz'

sh1t, fell asleep! anyways, leave people's opinions alone you nausiating know-it-all

Quote by zimmzimmer
Jokes are usually funny

MT is the forum FOR the serious discussion of music and music theory - if you want to dick around then do it in The Pit.

Why is it that the older somebody is round here the more likely they are to act like a child?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I wouldn't believe everyones profile birthday, you can generally just look at the way they're talking to realize how old they are.
Methinks everyone needs to cool down.

TS, start with the blues, and use your ear. Buy some CDs by Muddy Waters, BB King, Eric Clapton and get a good feel them.

Then start learning basic diatonic theory and as you progress you'll slowly start finding yourself in the world of jazz. It is a long road, and a very confusing one, so some teaching might help.

And listen listen listen.
Quote by steven seagull
Jokes are usually funny

MT is the forum FOR the serious discussion of music and music theory - if you want to dick around then do it in The Pit.

Why is it that the older somebody is round here the more likely they are to act like a child?

that was funny! i thought so anyway..

fair enough you have a point, MT is not the place to d1ck around, but I wasn't really was I? T'was just a giggle. I shall know for future reference that outside the pit, sense of humour is null and void

who you calling old anyway? I'm only 28, cheeky s0d

:0D

Quote by zimmzimmer
Last edited by mattiwillohouse at Dec 15, 2008,
Listen to blues. Learn how to phrase by listening to blues players. Blues is a different beast than jazz, but both are very difficult. After some time of this, if you really want to get dedicated to jazz, then find a teacher (one who regularly gigs as a jazz player and not a rocker who can try and show you some "jazzy" stuff), and start listening to jazz until your ears bleed.
12 fret fury
Quote by steven seagull
Jokes are usually funny

Hey Mr 35, how's it going being 35? Was that 35 years of calling the kettle black, or did you just start recently? People with Australian country-boys for dads will get me...
Quote by Peacefull Rocker

I wouldn't believe everyones profile birthday, you can generally just look at the way they're talking to realize how old they are.
Oh yeah? How old am I? Even better, guess how old myung-trucci (a poster 'round here) is?

I shall know for future reference that outside the pit, sense of humour is null and void
Exactly, us music nerds don't have a sense of humour. We do not laugh.

Seriously though, it's not a matter of jokes, it's a matter of trolling. We don't like trolls. Trolls need to keep to their bridges and caves (aka, the pit).
Last edited by demonofthenight at Dec 15, 2008,
[quote="Exactly, us music nerds don't have a sense of humour. We do not laugh.

Seriously though, it's not a matter of jokes, it's a matter of trolling. We don't like trolls. Trolls need to keep to their bridges and caves (aka, the pit).[/QUOTE"]

oh come on...

have a look at how this actually started. My comment was a simple jab at something I don't like. How am I now a troll because of it?

Everyone does it now and then (heck you don't like my so called 'pop punk' musical taste). I'm now being voted out of the pony club for it.

I got called plain old stupid by Mr Seagull but so what?? water off a duck's back. I think others should take a leaf of that.

Quote by zimmzimmer
You came in here saying something blatantly untrue looking for an arguement, that's troll like attitude right there.
I didn't take a stab at your pop-punk musical taste, but lets face it it's an easy music to play and many people (wrongly) think it doesn't take talent to write. It's perfect for trolling though, especially when you're calling another style of music "talentless." Believe it or not, but I actually like the odd pop-punk band.

Stop arguing about it, you trolled, you got called out, you got fed, you had a great time, now go back to your cave or should I say "pit."
Quote by demonofthenight
Hey Mr 35, how's it going being 35? Was that 35 years of calling the kettle black, or did you just start recently? People with Australian country-boys for dads will get me...

*ahem*

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc