Page 1 of 2
I am completely uneducated about basses. I'm really just doing research for my cousin. For electric guitars, Jackson, ESP, and Gibson all make amazing guitars.

What would the bass equivalents be?

I'm trying to get my cousin to upgrade from his ****y starter box ibanez gio.

It will probably do him wonders.

But OH NOES WHAT AMP!

As far as I know he likes The White Stripes, Nirvana, and I've seen him listening to stuff like Jimmy Eats World. Idk. lol

EDIT: Oh and Soundgarden for sure
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
fender standard jazz bass. awesome all around great bass for an affordable price. can not go wrong
Quote by Doc-Pepper
fender standard jazz bass. awesome all around great bass for an affordable price. can not go wrong

Fender for basses=Gibson for guitars?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
fender makes nice basses... the jazz bass and the Precision bass are nice. Also check out Warwick
for the most part yea. fender makes great basses. they make affordable ones like the MIM standard and more expensive ones like the American standard. much like gibson and epiphone.
Can anybody reccomend me some basses to mention to him for his style?

I tend to think he likes a mix of grunge, hard rock, and w/e the hell the white stripes classify as.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Fender for basses=Gibson for guitars?

I have no idea where you're getting the idea that an instrument is only as good as its brand. Gibson isn't the best guitar brand...
I could direst a huge wall of text at you but I'll refrain from doing so.
That being said, every brand has its good and bad models.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
Quote by m30wc0w
I have no idea where you're getting the idea that an instrument is only as good as its brand. Gibson isn't the best guitar brand...
I could direst a huge wall of text at you but I'll refrain from doing so.
That being said, every brand has its good and bad models.

I understand but Gibson is only so well known and has a known name because of the high quality of their product.

For example. Most B.C. Riches aren't really well made, at least until you get into the high end ones which are pretty good. Same goes for Dean.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
If you want a starter pack DO NOT buy the Dean Edge 09. I have it and it sucks. I'm saving for a Fender Jaguar bass.
Quote by HGS9669
If you want a starter pack DO NOT buy the Dean Edge 09. I have it and it sucks. I'm saving for a Fender Jaguar bass.

No no no

He already started on a starter pack.

He's been playing for a while already but he needs to upgrade.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I understand but Gibson is only so well known and has a known name because of the high quality of their product.

For example. Most B.C. Riches aren't really well made, at least until you get into the high end ones which are pretty good. Same goes for Dean.

Maybe instead of saying one brand equals another for another instrument you should've asked for brands that are reputable in general.
Anyways, check out the Craigslist in your area for MIJ basses from the 80s. They tend to be excellent quality and cheap.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
Brands to get your hands on:

Fender, Squier, Ernie Ball Musicman, G&L, Ibanez, Warwick, Schecter, Peavy, Spector, Yamaha, Lakland

Brands to avoid like the plague:

Gibson (Minus G3, ripper, grabber), Epiphone, Rouge,SX, Hofner, Dean
Captin Insano speaks the truth, and as far as his musical influences go I think a Fender MIM P-bass might be right up his alley
Fender makes the best basses, followed by Ernie Ball Musicman and Squier (which is owned by fender anyway)

IMO
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by Ryker24
Captin Insano speaks the truth, and as far as his musical influences go I think a Fender MIM P-bass might be right up his alley

this.

also check out Schecter, they get a solid bottom end.

and as you're views seem to be yes, Fender=Gibson
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by IndianRockStar
I almost liken Fender to Fender+Gibson. They really do have the lion's share of the bass world. For good reason. Except for this 20 fret bull****!

all they need to do is make an American Jazz 24.

which will be awesome upon it's arrival.

if I have anything to say about it, it will do much win with it's flame maple veneer, red pearl/green pearl/tort pickguard options, and bartolini pickups.

Mr Lurker from the fender factory over there, write that down.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

TS, I don't know how you've assumed that Gibson, Jackson, and ESP are the best guitar brands...there's loads more that are just as good. Fender, for example...I'd take a Strat over a LP any day. If you asked that in the electric guitar forum, you probably just had a bunch of A7X kids spouting the brand that their favorite player uses at you.

As for bass, there's loads as well. Fender is a big one. Music Man and G&L make very good ones too. (and good guitars!) Ibanez is becoming a big player, as are Warwick and Spector. I'm a big fan of Peavey, personally, and I think there's quite a few people here with

It all depends on what you're trying to do really...that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's no top ten list of manufacturers for basses (or guitars), and there is no single brand that is the best. Different people like different things.

Amps are the same way, for the most part. Avoid Behringer, though...
Nope, no sig here.
Try the Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz bass, or the new 60's Jazz they came out with. As for amps, maybe a Fender amp? Or you could get him a Spider III to screw with him
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Quote by Rockingbird
Try the Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz bass, or the new 60's Jazz they came out with. As for amps, maybe a Fender amp? Or you could get him a Spider III to screw with him

I think we both know that he is already off to a bad start lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet

Which would make it all the funnier!

But on a serious note, why not try getting him a tiny MarkBass combo?
Rockingedit: Or an Acoustic (The brand, not the type). Those are fairly priced and i've herd good things about them.
Current Gear:
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
Quote by TheBodomBullet

No, he's really not. Ibanez makes pretty solid starter basses. Has he set the thing up?
Nope, no sig here.
I have the same pack as him and that bass is extremely nice. Though if he wants another bass, stay with Ibanez. After all hes already used to the neck. For amps, Ashdown aint too bad.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by Mutant Corn
No, he's really not. Ibanez makes pretty solid starter basses. Has he set the thing up?

Well more in terms of a mental mind set.

It's something only I and Rockingbird would know whom I know irl.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Well more in terms of a mental mind set.

It's something only I and Rockingbird would know whom I know irl.

Yeah, with a new bass comes new possibilities. And most of those Possibilities are filled nicely by a J Bass. Trust me, you can't go wrong with one.
Current Gear:
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I play an "old" '91 mij ibanez that went for 440 at the store. I got it for less because i was a disgruntled customer. Best bass I've ever played. If he likes a thin neck go for Ibanez and I've heard some ESP's can be ok too. If he like's middle sized necks go for fender. i believe the jazz neck is thinner than the precision but don't quote me on that. and if he likes a big neck go for warwick. pricey but they sounds orgasmic.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I find the lack of Rickenbacker in this thread somewhat disturbing.

But yeah, MIM Fenders are great.
Quote by fartripper67
I find the lack of Rickenbacker in this thread somewhat disturbing.

I'm pretty sure Ricks are out of his price range or he at least doesn't have the determination to go out and find one, without mentioning that they definitely aren't for everyone.

founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
Well since it's past Christmas I guess I can still throw an opinion. Personally I do not care for Fender basses (but some of the best players in the world do). I only play 1980's model Peavey Dyna Basses with the built in pre-amp. Those guitars all have a hum if you try to play them with treble but a bass is supposed to be that, BASS. The action is great and I love the really thin neck. The only other modern bass I really care for are the LTD's but since I have 3 Dyna's I won't be buying one of those either. I ahve just been enlightened on amplification. I always swore that Eden made the best amp out there but they can now take a back seat to Markbass. I have a tiny Markbass amp that weighs 44 lbs and it will blow the doors off of something 10 times it's size. Evidently the Italians know how to make more than Pizza.
[
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez IJX40
1987 Peavey Dyna Bass
1987 Peavey Dyna Bass
1988 Peavey Dyna Bass
Markbass CMD 102 P
B52 AT212
Beheringer Ultrabass 3500
Hartke 410 XL
Hartke 210 Transporter
Peavey TKO
Peavey 115 BW
Fender, Warwick, and Traben come to mind.

Fender is probably your best bet.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
The best bet would be a Fodera, unfortunately they cost about the same as a new car.

http://www.fodera.com/basses.html
[
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez IJX40
1987 Peavey Dyna Bass
1987 Peavey Dyna Bass
1988 Peavey Dyna Bass
Markbass CMD 102 P
B52 AT212
Hartke 410 XL
Hartke 210 Transporter
Peavey TKO
Peavey 115 BW
Quote by caitan1962
The best bet would be a Fodera, unfortunately they cost about the same as a new car.

http://www.fodera.com/basses.html

Those were really, really nice... The top of one of the Monarchs seriously made me shiver. The fourth from the left...
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
Quote by Lilldjuret
Those were really, really nice... The top of one of the Monarchs seriously made me shiver. The fourth from the left...

am i the only one who thinks that the emperor ii is reall really fugly?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I've played Fodera's, and the sound is not worth it, IMO.

it sounds like a less punchy Schecter every time I play one.

great sound, but just not worth that price tag.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Watchingmefall do you really live in Tijuana?
[
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez IJX40
1987 Peavey Dyna Bass
1987 Peavey Dyna Bass
1988 Peavey Dyna Bass
Markbass CMD 102 P
B52 AT212
Hartke 410 XL
Hartke 210 Transporter
Peavey TKO
Peavey 115 BW
I agree about Dean making some **** on the low end. Ive got a Dean E09L and the tuning peg stripped out after a month. Thats what you get for $130.
Anyway Ibanez makes some good stuff. Ive been looking at a Ibanez SR300 for a while now...
Page 1 of 2