So yesterday, I bought myself a used randy rhodes V knock-off for 80 bucks. I mostly bought it because at the very least, I can use it for parts.
Anyways, this thing looks pretty good, has 24 fret neck, licensed FR fastload trem (i think), dual humbuckers, but right now has an unbelievably horrible set up. Neck is bowed (up-bowed i think?), guitar is out of tune, action is messed, the whole nine yards. So i need some advice on how to approach trying to get it playable. The strings need to be changed too, but I think once I get it set up and playable once, I can worry about that later.
I don't know a ton about FRs, but wikipedia and http://www.imuso.co.uk/directory/guitar-lessons/floyd-rose-trem.htm helped a bunch. My question is kinda more about the truss rod. I've never tinkered with one before so it kinda scares me, can anyone give me a full description of what to do and what not to do, and maybe even some steps to do it? Will I need to loosen the strings as well? I would dive right into this, but theres just so much to do I don't know where to start. Thanks a bunch.
Quote by DespisedIcon
Take it to a pro.

+100
you have NO CLUE wat ur about to dao. take it to a pro!
on the down side at GC a FR set-up can run about $50-60+strings
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
well when your done with all that. i'd get some awesome new pickups and make it sound better
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Quit being a bitch about it christ.

Nah jk, take it to GC or your local music store, they'll fix it up for you, apart from that neck, not sure what to do about that.
Smart Pothead and Proud
yeah your probly better off takeing it to someone to get it set up, when you do ask if you can sit in and watch him/her do there work. it will be verry helpfull to you to see what they are doing and haveing them explain why they are doing it. so later on you will know what to do when you run into problems.
wow pretty unanimous.
ya we dont have GC here, but we do have steve's music store! \m/ and ya setting up my epi sg run about 50 bucks if i remember correctly.
i agree that would be a smart thing to do, but spending 50 bucks on an 80 buck guitar is NOT worth it. what i plan to do is learn how to set up a guitar myself.
so with that in mind, what do i do?
Last edited by RIP_bonham at Dec 10, 2008,
Quote by RIP_bonham
what do i do?

SEARCHBAR

...duh
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Pics?
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Yeah take it to a pro honestly I tried doing repairs on my RG and failed miserably and ended up taking it to my favorite luthier to get it up and playing again. So save yourself some time and just go to a pro right now.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor