....about 2 hours ago. A Vox AC30 and then a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe using a EP Standard.

All I can say is....wow! Sure beats my Ashton GA80 for tone and even volume. I'm stunned. Those things are WHOPPING loud.

True it was in a sound booth at a music store, but still, the ears hurt and I was playing soft. I had the Fender Master and Volume on 1 or something crazy and still loud!

Very impressed. I loved the Vox tone. But found the Fender a little more user friendly with it having both master and volume and gain and regular tone controls. Vox I'm guessing was more old style which isn't such a bad thing. I guess it just takes some knob tweaking(keep it clean boys).

Well, forget the Valvetronics I had in mind. I wanna real tube amp!
Tubes > Solid State.

Known fact.

Pointless thread.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
My exact thoughts when I plugged into one. You think it's hype, then you plug into some vacuum tubes and realize why it's lasted so long. Anyway, fi you can afford, the Vox, I'm extremely jealous.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
there is definitely something to be said about the way a tube amp's harmonics resonate with the human ear drum and then percieved by the brain.

Vox and Fender are voiced differently so you go with with what sounds best and is more in line with your type of music.
Quote by Austin_Scharosc
Tubes > Solid State.

Known fact.

Pointless thread.

Oh geez. Excuse me for being 32 and finally playing a tube amp for the first time only because as of a few weeks ago, I never REALLY knew what a tube amp was/is but thanks to this forum, i realized what they are why they're better then SS amps. Ok, sad I know, but hey, your never too old to learn stuff.

Anyway, I'm tempted VERY much by the Vox. But the Fender is slightly cheaper although the whole thing is just confusing me even more. Lol.
Well, what kind of tone are you looking for?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Austin_Scharosc
Tubes > Solid State.

Known fact.

Pointless thread.

and what about the people that like there solid state amps?...it's all a matter of opinion.
Probably more clean stuff, using at times something with a little 'sting' in the strings.. Tend to play the standard cover band stuff. Anything from Beach boys/ Beatles to CCR, JCM, Eagles a little bit of ACDC etc.

Never any heavy metal. The VOX just seemed to have a beautiful warm tone about it that I coud use. I guess my Line6 floor pod could help to get a dirtier sound, or even buy a decent pedal to get one.

And by the sounds of it, although being only 30w, it'll still have the punch to get over the top of the drums and other guys. We don't play hugely loud.

I reckon this is the amp for me. Hehehe. Just gotta get that c/c back off my wife.
Either amp will do it really. Here's a tip.

Fender is an american voiced amp. Beach Boys, Clapton, etc
Vox is a british voiced amp. Beatles, ACDC.

I know. Tough choices.

not sure off the top of my head what amps ACDC used but you get my point.

*no, i'm not going to go run and look who used what*
AC/DC used JTM 45s i believe
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
OK. good point. Marshall JTM is a british voiced amp.

Anyway, you can hear the British type tone of the Beatles or crunch of AC/DC vs American type tones which are warmer and cleaner. Not that that's good or bad. More modern maybe. Hell I don't know, I suck at these comparisons.
It's all opinion. Thats what 311 is trying to say
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
haha yea^

AC/DC has a little more raw british tone i guess you'd say...i would think that voxes have tad more tameness in them, Marshall just being all out rawness. but i don't see any reason why you couldn't pull at least a good AC/DC tone with the Vox, it just won't be as nice as a marshall, but with a good OD pedal like a fulltone OCD or fulldrive II, you should be able to get a sweet AC/DC sound whenever needed with no prob at all.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
You should be able to get a nice crunch out of the vox, just turn up the top boost. I finally cranked up an ac30 the other day and it's a stunning amp, even the chinese mass produced ones.

I'd get the ac30 based solely on the drive channel. Both amps have great cleans, one isn't better than the other here, just different, but the AC30s drive smokes the HRD, then again it's quite a bit more expensive.

To me the Vox is more versatile since it has more gain, allowing you to play somewhat heavier stuff and the gain sounds better. Also, like I said, the cleans are a wash so it comes down to preference.

Edit: Yeah, a vox isn't gonna nail any acdc tones, but it won't be miles off like the fender.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Appreciate the opinions, guys.

The Vox is sounding better all the time. We'll see what happens.
i'll tell you what will happen. you won't be able to get the vox out of your mind, thats what it was like with me, too

so get the vox

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
AC/DC are Australian, stop lumping them in with the Brits. Ugh, how distasteful.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Quote by punkman_123
AC/DC are Australian, stop lumping them in with the Brits. Ugh, how distasteful.

Nobody said they were British, they just said they used British voiced amps.
Quote by punkman_123

JTM45 and SLP = british tone
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Why notget the vox and an overdrive for some AC/DC oomph?
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
was it the vox ac30cc2? or the cc2x? or the original vox ac30?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by Austin_Scharosc
Tubes > Solid State.

Known fact.

Pointless thread.
False.

Pointless post.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Either amp will do it really. Here's a tip.

Fender is an american voiced amp. Beach Boys, Clapton, etc
Vox is a british voiced amp. Beatles, ACDC.

I know. Tough choices.

not sure off the top of my head what amps ACDC used but you get my point.

*no, i'm not going to go run and look who used what*

I dont really think it works like that.
But yah british amps seem to be sound warmer wich i really love about the british sound.

Either way there both great amps, ill be set with a Vox Ac15, as if 15 watts aint loud enough, 30watts will leave me death after a couple months.

EDIT: DAMN YOU BASTARDS ALL THIS TALK ABOUT THE VOX IM GETTING ALL IRRITATED IM NOT PLAYING ONE.

think im ganna take my CM-2 over to guitar center get some and have the time of my life.

Its a 20 minute drive there and im have a smile on my face all the way there.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Dec 11, 2008,
Quote by Austin_Scharosc
Some Tubes > some Solid States.

Known fact.

Fixed

There are some fantastic SS amps. Vetta's, flextones, Jazz Chorus', Sunn Model T, Ampegs,

I would love a Jazz Chorus for cleans. I would also love a Sunn Model T. And for cover artists, nothing beats the Line 6's

But for the most part, people prefer tubes over SS. It is a major experience going from a cheap SS to a quality tube and there are some fantastic cheap tube amps on the market.
Quote by LaidBack
AC/DC used JTM 45s i believe

Well, a band like AC/DC were never ever going to use anything except Marshall, were they?
Where do you think the Gibson guitar into Marshall amp stereotype came from? Jazz?
Quote by Rock Pig
Well, a band like AC/DC were never ever going to use anything except Marshall, were they?
Where do you think the Gibson guitar into Marshall amp stereotype came from? Jazz?

I was just providing the model they used.........
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
I was just providing the model they used.........

Yeah, I know. Just saying.

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals