What do you all think of these pedal

-Vox V847A Wah
-Boss CS-3 Compressor - do u think a compressor is a good starter pedal? i'll have a few others but...
-Boss CH-1 Super Chorus

Maybes
-Metal Muff or Micro Metal Muff
-Boss Ns-2 Noise Suppressor
-Big Muff - Idk is it just like a fuzz?

My brother might give me his unused pedals
Boss DS-1 distortion
Boss Flanger
Boss Overdrive or metal...can't remember

There is no way I'm getting a new amp for Christmas, it will be a while before i can get a new one...don't ask..., so i wanted to get good pedals that would work on a better (hopefully tube) amp

If u guys have any suggestions - i definitely want a wah, distortion (depending if my brother gives me his), & either a chorus or compressor

(Edit) - I play mostly RHCP, but i like to play & write stuff with a good crunchy distortion
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...
If seeing is believing...

...Then believe that we have lost our eyes!!
Last edited by Clutch32192 at Dec 10, 2008,
$250 - 300 tops
i'm pretty content on the vox wah, but some time before chrismas im gunna go to guitar center & try lots of pedals
i went 2day but had limited time & they only had one wah out & no cables
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...

A compressor is definitely not a good starting pedal. Compressors are subtle and unless you've already got a good sound it won't do a whole lot to improve a not as good sound.

I'd say stay away from Boss pedals generally. They're not bad, but there are better out there. I find that in the long run it's better just to save up a bit more and get really good gear (especially pedals and amps) instead of getting a bunch of cheaper ones at once.

If you really want to go all out on a gain box, go for a Plexitube distortion by Tonebone (at least I'm pretty sure it's tonebone). I see that you're playing through either an MG or a Spider III and I'm a big fan of the tubescreamer series so those would work some, but not as much as they would on a tube amp.

The Fulltone choral flange is balls out the best chorus I've ever played in my life. It's pricey, but it's definitely worth it.

You'll just have to try out wahs for yourself in the store. The Voxs and Crybabys all sound different. I personally play through a wah that I built so I'm not alot of help there.

EDIT: Ok....Just saw your budget. You'll really be much happier if you get good pedals one or two at a time as opposed to getting more less "exquisite" pedals at once. I mean it, I've been there.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Yeah, definitely don't start with a compressor.

If your heartset on a chorus and a wah wah, the vox seems like a good choice, and i got my ehx small clone for 68$ used. you could also get a boss ce-5, from what ive heard theyre pretty good. search around used, you'll find better deals. as far as distortion/overdrive goes, if you want a more rhcp, i think he uses a big muff pi but i may be mistaken. look into those.
Quote by The_Bosstone
Yeah, definitely don't start with a compressor.

If your heartset on a chorus and a wah wah, the vox seems like a good choice, and i got my ehx small clone for 68$ used. you could also get a boss ce-5, from what ive heard theyre pretty good. search around used, you'll find better deals. as far as distortion/overdrive goes, if you want a more rhcp, i think he uses a big muff pi but i may be mistaken. look into those.

do u know what the difference or which is better on the boss ce-5 or ch-1?

yeah i looked at the big muff pi's but how people were explaining them sounded more like a fuzz, yeah if my bro gives me that ds-1 i might try & find a cheap used muff, if he don't i might look for a more versatile distortion, to cover more heavy stuff

edit: yeah, compressor is coming off of my list...now a space for different pedal or better pedals
MIM Tele
Fender Blues Jr NOS
Schecter Omen 6
Squier Strat
Greg Bennett Acoustic
other crap...

Quote by Clutch32192
do u know what the difference or which is better on the boss ce-5 or ch-1?

yeah i looked at the big muff pi's but how people were explaining them sounded more like a fuzz, yeah if my bro gives me that ds-1 i might try & find a cheap used muff, if he don't i might look for a more versatile distortion, to cover more heavy stuff

edit: yeah, compressor is coming off of my list...now a space for different pedal or better pedals

i dont personally own one, but from what i understand a big muff is a fuzz + distortion. i looked it up and john frusciante definitely uses one, and they stomp all over a boss ds-1.

i think that the CH-1 has 4 knobs: Effect Level, EQ, Rate, Depth, while the CE-5 has 5: Effect Level, Rate, Depth, Filter (outter knob Low, inner knob High).

i cant make any recommendation as to i havent played either.
i honestly don't hear a lot of difference between the ch-1 and the ce-5 . both produce a fine chorus, i just don't feel the variation warranted a second chorus pedal in the current BOSS line.

if your brother's offering those pedals, definitely take 'em! whether it's the bf-3 or the older bf-2, you'll get a great flanger. and regardless of what specific overdrive it is, it's at least worth trying out...maybe figure out what you DON'T like if nothing else.