So I'm looking to buy a new guitar for about $400 and I went to Guitar Center today and tried a bunch out. I pretty much have it narrowed down to two guitars but I'd like to get some opinions on them. The two I really like were:

The Schecter Damien 6
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Damien-6-Electric-Guitar?sku=513102

and the Ibanez RG3EXFM1
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG-Electric-Guitar?sku=481914

I liked how both played and sounded but I thought the Ibanez played maybe a little bit better, but I liked the look of the Schecter better. One thing I did notice is that both of the Ibanez RG3E's that I played had fret buzz (one pretty bad and one not so noticeable), is that usually a problem on this model, or was it just the two floor models they had out?

If it matters, I like to play just about all types of rock from clean stuff to harder stuff, but like I said I liked how both sounded (even though the schecter did seem crunchier, I still thought it sounded good clean).

Also, if you want to suggest something else, I really don't want something with a Floyd Rose style bridge.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys
Both are good models . The fret buzz is probably just because they were floor models, and you can fix that pretty easily.

I'd also suggest a MiM Strat, they go for $400. SSS or HSS, they're both good, although I'd probably go with the HSS. Try it out
Yeah I tried a strat, but the thing is that I have a crappy squire strat right now, and I know that a Fender would be much better, but I just feel like if I'm buying something new that it should be different than what I have. Plus I preferred the feel of the two guitars I mentioned to the strat.
Does anyone else have any opinions on either of these? I'm probably going to go get one today and I want to know if there is anything I really should know about either of them. Thanks
I like that ibanez very much because of the fixed bridge (hate ibanez trems in that price range) but the schecter aint that bad either. I dunno which one i'd buy.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
I always recommend ibanez because I honestly think that they make great guitars
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
i personal feel you should go with the ibanez because of the pickups. Schecter Damien 6 has EMG i personal dont like them but you should go for the Schecter if you felt the fret buzz was bad on the ibanez
lol
Fret buzz is no big deal, Its easy to fix. Have them adjust the guitar when you buy it. I prefer Schecter. But i do like Ibanez. Either way, enjoy your new guitar.
Quote by Lethal Dosage
I always recommend ibanez because I honestly think that they make great guitars

lol really?

go with the schecter. the ibanez has stock pickups, and the schecter has EMGs.
EMG > ibanez stock pickups.

the schecter also has a better finish, bridge, feel, tuners[grovers] and fret inlays.

go with schecter on this one.

Quote by piebot9
i personal feel you should go with the ibanez because of the pickups. Schecter Damien 6 has EMG i personal dont like them but you should go for the Schecter if you felt the fret buzz was bad on the ibanez

youre joking right? EMGs are way better then any ibanez stock pickup
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Last edited by koalabacon at Dec 11, 2008,
Quote by koalabacon
lol really?

go with the schecter. the ibanez has stock pickups, and the schecter has EMGs.
EMG > ibanez stock pickups.

the schecter also has a better finish, bridge, feel, tuners[grovers] and fret inlays.

go with schecter on this one.

youre joking right? EMGs are way better then any ibanez stock pickup

It depends on your prefence honestly with a trem/pickup change I could have a guitar to rival any high end model. Ibanez INF pups arent that bad, but im just saying RG's are usually pretty versatile.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor