Hi everyone, this is my 1st post here as you can see. Im looking for ideas about what could be wrong with a triple rectifier that i recently purchased used from someone in my city that i didnt know. this person said he replaced all the tubes recently but he could have been lying.

The problem im having is that Channel 1 (clean) and channel 3 (distortion) do not make any noise at all when plugged into the cab and channel 2 (distortion) plays very qietly with no distortion at all.
I looked in the back of the amp, and all 6 power tubes are lighting up slightly like theyre supposed to, but the 3 rectifier tubes arent glowing at all. is this normal? should they be glowing?
any help is appreciated!
If you're worried i recommend taking it to a store that stocks Mesa Boogie equipment. They will have a look at it, diagnose it for $40 - $50 maybe give or take and might cost about $100 - $300 to fix (that's just a estimate, as I don't personally know what's wrong so i don't know how much needs to be fixed)
Did you flick the standby switch after the power switch had been on for a minute?

Edit: Didnt read that it makes noise on channel 2. Dont know what the problem is then
Last edited by littlephil at Dec 11, 2008,
I think it would be safe to swap the rectifier tubes around to see what happens but if you do that make sure you seat then down real tight and wait for someone who knows more about how to trouble shoot these amps to chime in.

post up in the Everything ....About Tubes Sticky.

Do you have the footswitch too? Is the pre and post gain turned up for channel 2 obviously?

hum...
If the Rectifier tubes are dead, it shouldn't matter as long as your channels are set to Solid State Rectification, the amp should still function properly. Try that.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Maybe the amp is set to the solid state rectifier setting which is why the rectifier tubes aren't lighting up.

Also keep in mind that just because the tubes are lighting up doesn't mean they're functioning.
Quote by MatrixClaw
If the Rectifier tubes are dead, it shouldn't matter as long as your channels are set to Solid State Rectification, the amp should still function properly. Try that.

Matrix what the hell happened to your Diezel...?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
are you by chance using an effects loop? my f-30 acts up when it's not set up perfectly, or when the effects loop blending knob is set at the minimum.
take it to the tech...you probably dished out a couple grand for it...i m sure you d rather dish out 2-3 more hundred than for it to go bust.
Quote by kayman121
Matrix what the hell happened to your Diezel...?

I'll PM you
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'll PM you

AGAIN?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
AGAIN?

I would still have the Diezel if it was up to me and people weren't stupid.

I'll PM you too!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com