well.. I've been playing the guitar for about a year now, almost 15, i have a very decent guitar (dean slimebee) and i do have a bit of skill for the amount of time i have been playing, or so ive been told, but recently, ive been trying to learn songs, that i could learn, but reading the tabs just makes my mind lose focus and make me find something else,
Is there a song i can learn, that can boost my confidence in this skill, or just is it a problem that sometimes happens.
sorry if i put this in the wrong thread, didnt know where else to put it
Cheers, Fellowguitarist
Yeah it happens with me to you just need to stick with it the first time I tryed to learn a song it was "one" and I looked at the tab then closed the window then I came back the next day and started learning and I got it down.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
When I learn a new song I try to avoid looking at the tabs too much (because reading sheet music is so much easier ) and I try to play along to the song in my head or with a CD

Dunno if that helps but it's just how I do it
I would suggest learning to play by ear as much as possible. Don't feel bad if this seems completely overwhelming, it is. I know a guy who has a very good ear and I asked him once how he does it, and he replied,

"It's easy, just listen to the sound coming from the speakers and make that sound."

Turns out thats pretty good advice.
Yep, sometimes just reading a tab makes me think "are you serious? I gotta do this note for note?", especially solo's, lol. It's part of the learning phase, be very patient with song learning, and it pays off greatly.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Reading tabs is another technique to go with guitar, and like everything else, needs practice. You need to make yourself learn, force yourself to sit down. Something I like to do with tabs is learn the basic way they go, and put my own spin on it. That might help.
Quote by fretsonfire74
Reading tabs is another technique to go with guitar, and like everything else, needs practice. You need to make yourself learn, force yourself to sit down. Something I like to do with tabs is learn the basic way they go, and put my own spin on it. That might help.

Yeah this is good advice, pretty much you need to build the drive to take the time to learn a song perfectly, you can't just expect to fly through it, you know.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW