Well, I originally asked for a Tiny Terror for Christmas but my dad's most likely getting laid off so he told me I would have to find a less expensive. I want all-tube that can cover a pretty wide variety of music. My band does quite a bit of indie/pop punk stuff and solo I play quite a bit of blues and jazz so I need good cleans and decent overdrive but not crushing metal or anything. I found the V33 for $250 which seems like a steal for an all tube rig. Would this be a good amp for me?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Yeah, it's a really good amp, and $250 is a damn good price for a 30-watt tube of that quality. It's not great for metal, but it'll suit you well.
Sounds like it would be one of the better options for someone in your place.

They don't sound like $800 amps, but what do you want for the money? They get the job done with a little tonal finagaling--probably need an od or eq pedal to tighten things up properly. I can''t speak for the 33, but my v18 constantly smells hot, so reliabilty might be an issue. Also, the reverb is nice in moderation, but it's really unruley and useless past 9 o clock on the knob. I'm assuming the reverb has the same tank and is driven the same way on both models. I could easly be wrong though.

Despite any issues, I'm very glad I bought my v18. By no means is it my ideal amp, but I really like the little fella and if it doesn't suddenly die or anything like that, then I've definately gotten my money's worth.

edit* while we;re at it-- anyone else have this hot smell issue or is it just me? If it's an inherent defect I'll put a fan in, if it's just me it's probably indicative of some bigger problem I should look into.
Quote by tigerking615
Yeah, it's a really good amp, and $250 is a damn good price for a 30-watt tube of that quality. It's not great for metal, but it'll suit you well.

Like I said, I don't really do anything that heavy and I have a decent OD pedal anyway if I need to tighten up the sound. I think I might go for it.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Survivalism
Didn't those get discontinued?

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Palominos.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Quote by dullsilver_mike
No the v series is discontinued too. That's why they're so cheap, all the retailers are completely clearing them out. Get them while you can.

It's showing up on their site http://www.crateamps.com/products/findex.php?catID=1
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Very good amp...I love my v18. Amazing cleans. Nice tube amp for under $200 USD. Yes, they have been discontinued...so take advantage and get one cheap!
Quote by dullsilver_mike
edit* while we;re at it-- anyone else have this hot smell issue or is it just me? If it's an inherent defect I'll put a fan in, if it's just me it's probably indicative of some bigger problem I should look into.

my palomino gets incredibly hot...
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.