Make sure you check your prices first. I don't like stupid morons saying get something that costs $300 USD because it costs me about $600.

I play Nirvana, Metallica, Muse, RAtM, Led Zeppelin, Avenged Sevenfold, Rush, Aerosmith, Quenns of the stone age, Rolling stones and Lenny Kravitz.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Have a look at the Cort Zenox series. My Z42 cost me $400 and really plays well for that price.

Or you can try Ebay. There are a lot of used equipment being sold up for christmas.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
In my opinon, you should save up more money until you can buy a guitar worth upgrading for. Most of the stuff you can buy for $400 won't be much of an upgrade.
Gear!:

Epiphone G400
Marshall JCM 800 4211 Combo
Karmer Forum III
Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 5
Holden Graphic something bass amp? (eh it's 300 watts!)
Some sort of 1x15 cab.
My washburn (MG-24) is a pretty nice guitar on the cheap...if you can find one.There aren't very many hanging around from what I've seen.
My dad got it second hand for $300 AUD with a Roland GC-405 amp.It was in a kinda dodgy condition when I got i th,but it was easily fixed.It does a Nirvana tone VERY nicely and can handle Zep.Can do Kyuss just.RATM yes.
But like I said you probably won't find one.So do what ILIKETRUCKS said and save some more.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Hi hi,
I've heard pretty good things on the Ibanez GRG170DX. i was going to get it but saved up for a better quality guitar.
Or the epiphone les paul special 2 i think it is. Read good reviews on it to. Check em out.
I done nearly 2 years of research on guitars. It changed every month between them 2 guitars. Just look around on lower budget guitars from good brands i say pal
Quote by ShallowEndings
Hi hi,
I've heard pretty good things on the Ibanez GRG170DX. i was going to get it but saved up for a better quality guitar.
Or the epiphone les paul special 2 i think it is. Read good reviews on it to. Check em out.
I done nearly 2 years of research on guitars. It changed every month between them 2 guitars. Just look around on lower budget guitars from good brands i say pal

Those guitars both fail. I tried both of them and they are really bad.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Really? wow i was considering getting one but ok lol. thanks
well have u tried some ESP's? to be honest, and im not knocking you but now that this whole budget crap has gone on guitars have got or gunna get dearer.
Do you have a particular brand u like? fav artists, bands whatever use
Just get what feels nice to play, Corts are usually reliable, they're good quality and relatively cheap.

Your amp is most of your tone, so having an amp that can handle all those sounds should be important to you as well.
I decided to get an amp instead of christmas and save up lots of money to get a sweet guitar (hopefully G-400 with EMGs).
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Ok sweet as. Not being a pain in the a!! but apparently EMG arent all what they seem. Dont take my word for it cause my favourite band use em but read about some alternative pickups. Will help in the long road
Well i wouldn't go buyin a guitar just for looks, and to be honest EMGS arent good for the kind of music you play.

Check out some Cort's, they're very nice guitars.
Yeh hey Corts look very very nice.
Especially the EVL series. If i looked into them before i got my ibanez id be sure to have them in my collection