Not sure if this belongs in the amp thread or not, I`m not wondering about a specific type of amp I should buy so much as what`s safe for my amp and if I should even bother with the set up I`m shooting for.

I play guitar is a guitar and drums two piece, and the idea of my sound is sort of noise-rock meets post-rock, I use the whammy pedal with lots of delay and reverb to get a low, rumbly wall of sound. I find a bass amp helps get those low, rumbling tones that I want, moreso than any guitar amp I`ve used, but then it`s a bit muddy when I jump octaves up. Also, I like distortion and reverb built into the amp, which I`ve found is more difficult to find in a bass amp than a guitar amp.

I have a Fender Deville guitar amp, that sounds loud enough and has nice tone, which good distortion and reverb, but it doesn`t sound quite substantial enough in the low frequencies.

So for a few shows I started hooking the Deville together with a Fender Bassman, connecting I believe the speaker or effects output into where the bass guitar is usually plugged in, and it sounded great. It had the full range of frequencies that I wanted, without losing clarity or depth.

But I talked to a tech guy and he said that that will destroy both amps. I asked if I could plug my guitar amp into a bass cab and he said that was fine, I`m not sure if he thought I meant guitar head. I also spoke to someone else who said that playing a guitar through a bass amp will eventually mess with the amp.

So, I was wondering if there`s a difference between plugging a guitar amp versus a guitar head into a bass cab. And if a guitar amp can be used the same as a head, if it`s ever ok to plug the guitar amp into a bass amp.

I was trying to find out more about this online and using an AB selector came up, like this one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Whirlwind-Selector-A-B-Box-100136044-i1173526.gc

But I did want the reverb and distortion coming from my Fender guitar amp feeding into the bass amp, not just have both amps on at the same time.

I`m hopeless with gear, so if any of you could clear up what`s safe and the best option for me, I`d really appreciate it.
He's right, you're lucky you didn't blow the bass amp.

If you want to use 2 amps then you need to use an A/B splitter - you can't run one amp into another. You can hook a bass cab up to the Hot Rod provided it has a speaker out though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Get an A/B Y switch and run 2 seperate amps, you can switch between them at a push of a single footswitch
ohai little sig.
Quote by Demonikk
Get an A/B Y switch and run 2 seperate amps, you can switch between them at a push of a single footswitch

I think the point is that he wants to run both at the same time- he likes the tone and features of the guitar amp, but with the extra bass response he gets from the bass amp.
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"
Quote by dbzrage3k
I think the point is that he wants to run both at the same time- he likes the tone and features of the guitar amp, but with the extra bass response he gets from the bass amp.

In that case it's not really safe. Best bet would be to run effects/distortion pedals into the bass amp.
ohai little sig.
Hey guy's, thanks so much for the help, turns out there's a speaker plug in the back, so I can plug run a cab through my amp safely, as long as it's the same amount of ohms.
Isn't an FX out a line-level output? Couldn't he run the FX out into the bass amp?

Regular ol 6/7/8 string guitars into a bass amp is a-o-kay. Bass into guitar amp BAD.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
A fender bassman will not give you a low rumbly wall of sound. I didn't even know it was still considered a bass amp these days.

Even if you cranked the bass, you'd still get a guitar tone, but with a low end that will get very flubby and a tone that gets very woofy.
OMG!

People just don't understand amps anymore. The fx send is after the preamp section of the amp but before the power amp section. You CAN use this to go into another amp there's nothing wrong with that. Its not that high powered. But compared to the speaker out of a tube amp, which has EXTREME wattage in it, you shouldn't use this to connect to the input of an other amp, even if it is a bass amp.

After reading your post again I understand what you want more or less.

It is safe to go from the FX SEND to the INPUT of a bass amp.
It is safe to go from a guitar combo (its a head + a speaker) into a bass cab that has the same ohm rating.
It is safe to use an aby box to use both at the same time.

It is NOT safe to go from the output of the deville (the speaker out) into the input of ANY OTHER AMP without an attenuator.

Guitar -> Fender -> FX loop OUT/Send -> Bass amp Input -> Bass amp speaker out -> Any cab you want.

And I believe that it is actually safe to do this since you are not using a bass and thus don't have those crazy high powered low notes.

Guitar -> Fender -> FX loop OUT/Send -> Bass amp Input -> Bass amp speaker out -> the fender speakers

This should be ok as long as the ohms match from the bass amp to the guitar amps speakers.

Yes this is complicated but in the end I think you'll wind up with a good sound. And it'll also look sweet if you stack them ontop of each other.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Last edited by sesstreets at Dec 25, 2008,
Quote by sesstreets
OMG!

People just don't understand amps anymore. The fx send is after the preamp section of the amp but before the power amp section. You CAN use this to go into another amp there's nothing wrong with that. Its not that high powered. But compared to the speaker out of a tube amp, which has EXTREME wattage in it, you shouldn't use this to connect to the input of an other amp, even if it is a bass amp.

al112987 doesn't know what he's talking about. Many guitarist USE a bass amp to get nicer cleans UNDER their guitar tone, its not supposed to over power the guitar amp its just supposed to act as a foundation of which to build on top of with. and flubby bass? What are you talking about dude? A bassman is a nice tight bass amp.

And dude listen, get the a/b/y box.

In the end the ability to switch between one amp, another amp, and both of them in tandem is a wonderful tool.

I said, that running bass amp with his guitar would not get him a bass tone as that is what he wanted. A bass tone. And that cranking the bass would just result in a horribly flubby and woofy mess. Which it does.

I USE a bass circuit amp. Have you ever heard of a Marshall JTM45? It's a tweed '59 BASSMAN that runs 12ax7s and kt66s. And like the Bassman, it suffers from a flubby low end that gets muddy quick with a humbucker guitar. There is nothing tight about the low end of a Fender bassman, which is exactly the reason why it has been used as a guitar amp almost ever since it was released in the 50s.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 25, 2008,
I disagree. I've played a bassman with a guitar and I thought it was pretty tight sounding.

regardless it doesn't matter what we like its about what piesore likes. If he likes it then whatever.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Alright... nvm then. Yeah I've played the newer than. I thought it was really crisp.

I dunno what kind of bassman Mr. sore up there likes though.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel