Page 1 of 3
I have a friend (I'm using that term very. very loosely) who began his guitar playing about a year ago. His first guitar was a Squier Strat. He was convinced that the Squier Strat was the best guitar in the world.

My brother (who also plays guitar) said, "I don't know about that. I think I'd much rather have a Gibson Les Paul or a nice high end Ibanez."

The 'friend' who has only heard of the Les Paul says: 'What the hell? Les Pauls are like the worst guitars around. They're to heavy and the sound is too chunky and crappy.' (Note he has only ever played his own strat)

And my brother says: "Well I know some people who don't like Les Pauls and that's understandable, but they're not the worst. And listen to Boston, or Gn'R, they're guitars have beautiful tones. They use LP's."

And the 'friend' who only ever listens to Good Charlotte and AC/DC says: "Well those bands must be absolute s**t."

Now fast-forward about 2 month's later.

The 'friend' buys the Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul. He used to think 9 gauges were awesome until he learned Slash used 10's. Now he thinks Les Pauls, 10 gauges and Slash are pretty much what the world revolves around. all he listens to is Gn'R. And what's most annoying is that he thinks he's the best player around. Here's a quick list of what he can play:

-Sweet Child of Mine Intro
-What he thinks is the Paradise City Solo but is actually a 2 second interlude/fill
-What he thinks is improv

And that's pretty much all he plays. All. Day. Long.

Anybody else dumber than this guy?
Quote by meakel
I have a friend (I'm using that term very. very loosely) who began his guitar playing about a year ago. His first guitar was a Squier Strat. He was convinced that the Squier Strat was the best guitar in the world.

My brother (who also plays guitar) said, "I don't know about that. I think I'd much rather have a Gibson Les Paul or a nice high end Ibanez."

The 'friend' who has only heard of the Les Paul says: 'What the hell? Les Pauls are like the worst guitars around. They're to heavy and the sound is too chunky and crappy.' (Note he has only ever played his own strat)

And my brother says: "Well I know some people who don't like Les Pauls and that's understandable, but they're not the worst. And listen to Boston, or Gn'R, they're guitars have beautiful tones. They use LP's."

And the 'friend' who only ever listens to Good Charlotte and AC/DC says: "Well those bands must be absolute s**t."

The 'friend' buys the Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul. He used to think 9 gauges were awesome until he learned Slash used 10's. Now he thinks Les Pauls, 10 gauges and Slash are pretty much what the world revolves around. all he listens to is Gn'R. And what's most annoying is that he thinks he's the best player around. Here's a quick list of what he can play:

-What he thinks is the Paradise City Solo but is actually a 2 second interlude/fill

yes
Yep. One of my friends said "In rock music, the only good genre is Hardcore". When I picked myself up from the floor, I tried convincing him otherwise, but he thought that's the best guitar you can find and the only style worth listening to.
Ok, so he's a bit conceited and ignorant.

Why is he only a "friend"?
XIAOXI
Ozzypossum?

>.>

<.<

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Its because their biest, i suppose nearly everyone is when it comes to something new in music.
Just wait for him to realize he's wrong, he probably can't even hear a good tone when it comes to guitars anyway. He probabaly digs drop d and thinks metal is the only kind of music aswell.
Quote by BerryTree
yes

i see what you did there....
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by meakel

how old is that kid??¿
Quote by chs170
My friend listens to nothing but children of bodom.
-He thinks shred is the best thing ever and thinks everything else is ****ing boring, and he never, ever uses the clean channel on his amp.

Prick.

Oh btw, he says Vai is boring >.>
And John 5 is gay
And SRV is stupid
and Alexi Laiho is the best ever <.<

KILL!
Quote by beetroot10
your dumber then him for making a thread about how dumb he is.

Wow. I'm so hurt. I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.
Quote by chs170
My friend listens to nothing but children of bodom.
-He thinks shred is the best thing ever and thinks everything else is ****ing boring, and he never, ever uses the clean channel on his amp.

Prick.

Oh btw, he says Vai is boring >.>
And John 5 is gay
And SRV is stupid
and Alexi Laiho is the best ever <.<

Introduce a hammer to his hands NOW!
A class mate of mine, seems to want to pwn himself with musical stupidity.

One day in class I was listening to Hey Bulldog by The Beatles.
Me "Hey"
Him "what you listenin' to?"
Me "The Beatles"
Him " WHAT THE FVCK? That's sh!t man. Listen to some P!nk"
Me:

The Next Day! *montauge*

Him *scrolling through iPod* Hey! Ellen! Check these tunes out!"
Me: "Hmm?"
Him "You might listen to The Beatles, but I listen to PAUL MCCARTNEY! *plays Wings*"
Me:

And yes, I kid you not, a teenage male who listens to P!nk, and says she's his fave musician...Not dissing P!nk or her fans...I just find it different...

BUT WAIT! MORE!

Today -

Him " What you listening to?"
Me "Cream"
Him "You're a guitarist, you should listen to some good guitar stuff like...Eric Clapton! Yea, sounds better than what you got"

!
Last edited by Rock_Rebel at Dec 11, 2008,
I guess I didn't expect wisdom or anything, but even I wasn't that bad as a beginner guitarist.

and to the people who're taking shots at me, I just want to see other people's experiences. So calm down.
kick your friend in the ovaries, and its over
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
I've got a friend who is the most delusional, self-obsessed asshole you could imagine. So you can imagine what he'd be like about guitar; it's great I don't have to see him anymore
When I started learning guitar I thought Slash was THE greatest guitarist to ever walk this Earth :P I kept it to myself though ...
As you learn, play and listen to more music these first impressions go away or evolve.
BUT there are really annoying ppl like the one you mentioned :@
I used to think that Slash was so awesome, his semen would make me a better guitarist....

Kidding, but I do think he's overrated. I think he is awesome, his playing and writing ability is really something but not to the level where some people walk around all day wanting to have his babies.
I remember this one guy back in school used to bull**** alot about guitar related stuff - what gear he had, what songs he could play (citing he learnt 10 different songs perfectly in one weekend). Then one day he started handing out CDs to everyone saying it was his 'demo' and wanted people's opinions on him.
It was ****ing Velvet Revolver!
Still we humoured him - mostly because it was funny to see what lengths he would go to in order to lie about it.
Quote by Cyberbob
I remember this one guy back in school used to bull**** alot about guitar related stuff - what gear he had, what songs he could play (citing he learnt 10 different songs perfectly in one weekend). Then one day he started handing out CDs to everyone saying it was his 'demo' and wanted people's opinions on him.
It was ****ing Velvet Revolver!
Still we humoured him - mostly because it was funny to see what lengths he would go to in order to lie about it.

Quote by grunger
Its because their biest, i suppose nearly everyone is when it comes to something new in music.
Just wait for him to realize he's wrong, he probably can't even hear a good tone when it comes to guitars anyway. He probabaly digs drop d and thinks metal is the only kind of music aswell.

**** you
Jackson RR3
ESP LTD MH-250NT (EMG 81-85)
Peavey Valveking 100 Head
Harley Benton Cabnet
Blackstar Distx Valve Distortion
Boss DD3
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss Noise-Gate
A Member Of The Jackson Players Group
Quote by LaT3raluS

I remember he had this fictional 'uncle' who would apparently bring him all this amazing gear, allsorts of guitars and amps, but always had to take them back (or had just taken them back whenever we asked to see them.
For a 19 year old guy, I don't think such behaviour was very healthy.
...brilliant...

I have a similar friend who plays acoustic, and badgered me to teach him some Metallica. Note that he never had much interest in music, cos his guitar was left untouched for approx. 20 years, until I started learning guitar 2 years ago. When he approached me, I was still quite a beginner, so i taught him what i thought would be simple for him: Enter Sandman.

He got stuck into Metallica and claimed that he will revolutionize Acoustillica, playing Metallica's songs with an acoustic. I just said 'Whatever' and proceeded to teach him the basic riff of Enter Sandman. It took him 3 months to get the 5 first notes of the intro, and he's been playing them non-stop for a year or so already.

Another friend of mine, who is an awesome shredder, with this as an example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPSzUHP60_c&feature=PlayList&p=7918025BCEAE0C86&index=9 was jamming in a party. He was approached by the previous friend who said, 'I can play too!!'. Without his consent, he grabbed the guitar, and played the first 5 notes of enter sandman for several minutes while everyone got tired and deserted him. The shredder, said "You are so freaking smart in school that you can get straight A's in exam without trying but you can't even figure out a C chord??"

And so the long long argument started. And mind you, this braggart friend of mine IS quite good in school, but he is a pompous arrogant ass. So naturally he would try to claim superiority in everything. In the end he slit his fingers, and when we started to pick on that, he just said that this shows his commitment in guitaring, and that nobody else ever slit their fingers while playing the guitar, which shows that we never practised as much as he did.

Now I call that annoying.
Quote by Cyberbob

I remember he had this fictional 'uncle' who would apparently bring him all this amazing gear, allsorts of guitars and amps, but always had to take them back (or had just taken them back whenever we asked to see them.
For a 19 year old guy, I don't think such behaviour was very healthy.

good lawd for a 19 year old...id have brought him to a psych
Hmm. This one here is a close tie.

My 'friend' who has a brother too (who is actually my friend) tells me he plays the same thing over and over again all day. And the worst part is, he honestly can never tell if he's out of tune.
Quote by LaT3raluS
good lawd for a 19 year old...id have brought him to a psych

Yeah, I'd say he was a candidate for mental illness alright.
Too bad really, if he was'nt such a habitual liar, he might have been an decent person to hang around with.
My first guitarrist in a band of ours did not understand the difference between drop D and STANDARD...

obviously...it didnt take long before he left the band
Around my area, it seems that the people with the least skill get the most expensive guitars. I'm not saying they have the better ones but at least the more expensive.

The people who take guitar seriously have:
- A squier strat
- a cheap epi sg
- a cheap ibanez Rg

The people who don't really care that much have:
- A nice sleek black gibson sg
- Cherry gibson SG
- The vanilla Guitar of the month LP
- The Slash Sig
- The Tom Delonge sig

I cry on the inside.
Quote by meakel
Around my area, it seems that the people with the least skill get the most expensive guitars. I'm not saying they have the better ones but at least the more expensive.

The people who take guitar seriously have:
- A squier strat
- a cheap epi sg
- a cheap ibanez Rg

The people who don't really care that much have:
- A nice sleek black gibson sg
- Cherry gibson SG
- The vanilla Guitar of the month LP
- The Slash Sig
- The Tom Delonge sig

I cry on the inside.

It happens a lot in Singapore as well....those who only need guitars for things such as distorted chords in their songs and so on have Jackson flying V's, ESP Spiders, Razorback and so on.

Gawd...I'm pretty near Singapore, swimming range perhaps, but my friends here are content with lower ranges of Ibanez and so on. My own guitar is an Ibanez IJX40 starter pack...there is no justice in that.
Quote by meakel

That's because often people who can afford expensive guitars from day one are spoiled with expensive stuff their whole lives. Then they get bored and forget about their instument, having never really applied themselves to it.
This isn't obviously for every case, but the amount of people I know who's parents got them a really nice guitar and they never use is ridiculous.
Quote by LaT3raluS
My first guitarrist in a band of ours did not understand the difference between drop D and STANDARD...

obviously...it didnt take long before he left the band

How long has he been playing for? i didn't know the differencce at first, i thought it was just a slang term for it or something, i understood eventually though.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Cyberbob
That's because often people who can afford expensive guitars from day one are spoiled with expensive stuff their whole lives. Then they get bored and forget about their instument, having never really applied themselves to it.
This isn't obviously for every case, but the amount of people I know who's parents got them a really nice guitar and they never use is ridiculous.

I live in HK so that means if you go to an international school like me, you're already generally pretty well off. (Sadly enough, I'm not as fortunate as some of my friends) It happens way to often.
Quote by meakel

You mean...PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS THAT DIFFER FROM YOUR OWN?! What fucking idiots for liking things that are entirely subjective and can't possibly ever be proven as fact! Hahaha, morons!

Get bent, you sound like an elitist jackoff.
Last edited by Survivalism at Dec 11, 2008,
Page 1 of 3