Poll: Should I get a Peavey Vypyr 30 or a Roland Cube 20x?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I get a Peavey Vypyr 30 or a Roland Cube 20x?
Peavey Vypyr 30 ($~400)
46 63%
Roland Cube 20x ($370)
27 37%
Voters: 73.
For people reading my other topic I decided to get an amp because at my price range I can get a really good amp or a pretty crap guitar.

I am stuck between a Roland Cube 20x ($369) or a Peavey Vypyr 30 ($400)

Note: I can probably get a price match on the Vypyr because a store that does price matching has it for 430 and another store has it for 400.

I like the features of the Vypyr (free light shows ftw :P) but I have heard that that Cube has better sound quality. So I am unsure on what to get.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I can tell you one thing, I played the cube and was blown away with the sound. Peavey is a great company, but that cube seriously sounded amazing for the price. It has massive sound for such a small looking amp.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
hmm its tough... but id go with vypyr.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Vypyr, they bastardised transtube and revalver, for a solidstate, its great!
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
I love both amps... but I have a Vypyr on lay-by, not a Cube, so it's obvious which one I think is better. ^_^
Thanks for the input. More opinions would help.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
You could get a Vox vt30 for ~$470 or an older model ad30vt (still new, just recently superseded) for around $370 including footswitch. I think that its features, massive versatility and price make it a direct competitor with the two you are considering, and having owned both, i think they are worth the money. I think the more tubey sound makes for more authentic vintage tones, but don't think they're only for blues, the newer models especially (ad30vt-xl and the vt30) have spastic amounts of gain and do metal very well.

But out of the two you've mentioned, I would get the Vypyr, as it has heaps more amp models, features, presets etc. It's also something different, as alot of people have the Cube. Don't forget, if you don't like it within say, 14 days, u can usually take it back and swap it for something else. In Melb at least, the Vypyrs are alot harder to come by than the Line6, Roland and Vox modelling amps.
Go with the one that sounds good to your ear. The Cube has an outstanding track record for reliability where from what I've read many places there's some needed tweeking from Peavy of thier relatively new offering of the Vyper.
On another website a guy had 5 sound clips challenging people to pick the tube amp. Probably 90% got it wrong which pretty much confirmed my thoughs most of the "experts" have tin ears.
Go with what you like.
As yenners said, you might also want to consider Vox VT30.. it has 22 amp presets, both clean and high gain model sound very good.
Vypyr 30 for 400?! THATS EXPENSIVE! Over here theyre 200!
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
^ $200AUD or USD?

TS is from Perth, so he'd be talking in $AU. They're $499 AUD here, I lay-byed the 75 watt for $700AUD.
I have used both quite a bit. The cube is built like a tank, sounds great, and is easy to adjust. The vyvpyr sounds good (not as good as a cube). Is a little tricky to learn how to adjust, And is built very cheaply, as far as the construction of it goes. And alot of the effects on the vypyr are totally worthless. Both are good amps, And you should be satisfied with either. But i say get the cube, hands down.
I looked at VOX Modelling amps at stores near me and the best I could find was the VOX AD30VT for $400 or a VOX AD15VT for $350.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Did you try them out?
At least try them, the AD-series doesn't have too much higain amp presets. I was only interested on the UK Modern (Marshall xxxxxx), US Higain (Soldano OLO-100) and Metal xxxxx (Mesa Boogie Rectifier)

The ADXL has more higain presets, but it was offset by removing some clean presets.

The new VT-series has much more higain presets while preserving the clean preset as well. But they are very limited in supply.. I need to get mine in US and have someone brought it back for me..

PLUS Vox VT uses tubes in their preamp =) much better sound than a solid-state amp.

I havn't tried Cube n Vyper, but I would suggest you to try the Vox first.

I remember I was talking with a salesman in Guitar Center, at first he recommended me the Line 6 amp, he said it is popular. Then I talk about the Vox, he didn't know it at first. He gave it a try, then he changed his mind and say the Vox is better...
Last edited by hidehide at Dec 11, 2008,
Dude Vypyr all the way I'm getting one on the 24th There awsome amps for the price and your getting Jipped ont he price there worth $199 on musiciansfriends how could you pay 400 just to let you know

Peavy Vypyr 30w http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482909
Quote by ShredGod George
yup, he does play an ibanez
a log with 6 pieces of yarn would be solid competition for it

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Kick it in the dick.

Snakes have dicks, right?
Last edited by electricdeath at Dec 11, 2008,
They're both good, you'll be happy either way. I say cube though - I love my 30x. If you play metal, try to get the 30 for the r-fier model. But 20 is great too.
Vypyr.

I own the Vypyr 75, and let me tell you for a SS modeler it is awesome.
Plus this amp is endorsed by
Quote by electricdeath
Dude Vypyr all the way I'm getting one on the 24th There awsome amps for the price and your getting Jipped ont he price there worth $199 on musiciansfriends how could you pay 400 just to let you know

Peavy Vypyr 30w http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482909

he's in australia...

I say the vypyr. The Cube 20x doesn't even have more than 4 or 5 channels... peavey has 12... Vypyr is more open and less compressed sounding (compressed is not necessarily a bad thing), super-powered processors (32 bit floating point processors are definitely FTW), and analog amp models (done by transtube). Plus, there's a footswitch which opens up more options (wah, volume pedal, pitch shifter, looper...).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Dec 11, 2008,
The Peavey for sure!

Have you played thru either of them?

I have been hearing so many people here raving about the Roland Cube amps. So I tried a few out on Monday and IMHO they are the worse. Talk about a fake, digital, crappy, cheap sound if that was what Roland was going for they win first place. I played two different $1300.00 Les Pauls thru them and they made the LPs sound like Wal*Mart 99 buck specials!

Stay away form those things.

John
Quote by electricdeath

Ok then I will give you 200 AUD and you give me 200 USD. You just lost money!
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
either way your gonna get a great amp
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
i have a cube, the lead channel effects seem that they do not posess tone. The clean is pretty good if you have a few stomp boxes, they are prone to making the 'frying an egg sound'. I love mine thow, they are durable and reliable, good practise amp. I brought mine to a band practise and it just sounded so out of place. As I said amazing bang for the buck, and great for private practise, they can get LOUD as well!!

anyway, good luck with chosing, i havnt played a vyper, im just giving you an extra view on the cube.
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
i haven't tried the vypyr, but if you do decide to go for the cube, go for the cube 30x, as it has a lot more amp models etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried the vypyr, but if you do decide to go for the cube, go for the cube 30x, as it has a lot more amp models etc.

True. I have a vypyr, I like it a lot... Sounds better than a Cube IMO, and much much better than a Spider... same amount of presets with an additional $180... but you get a beast of a foot controller with that $180; 2 expression pedals (there are 3 options - volume, wah, and pitch shifter), delay/reverb switches, looper, etc.

Quote by IPlaySchecter
I have used both quite a bit. The cube is built like a tank, sounds great, and is easy to adjust. The vypyr sounds good (not as good as a cube). Is a little tricky to learn how to adjust, And is built very cheaply, as far as the construction of it goes. And a lot of the effects on the vypyr are totally worthless. Both are good amps, And you should be satisfied with either. But i say get the cube, hands down.

Meh, the higher watt models have more options, plus there's the sanpera foot controllers. I'll admit some of the FX sound like ****. My vypyr feels very strongly built... maybe it was just yours.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Dec 12, 2008,
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
coudlnt tell if the prices were usd or not but dude the 30 doesnt cost 400 dollars i jsut bought the Vypyr 75 for 299. Like i said i wasnt sure if your price was usd or not. if it is usd then go to guitarcenter.com or musiciansfriend.com and order the 75 if you are gonna spend the money which like i said is only 299. . the 30 is 199 on either one of those sites. havent heard the cube but i have played the 75 (mine is for xmas thats why i say that) and it is flipping amazing.
IF YOUR NOT PLAYING GUITAR WTF ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE???
Quote by johnro6659
The Peavey for sure!

Have you played thru either of them?

I have been hearing so many people here raving about the Roland Cube amps. So I tried a few out on Monday and IMHO they are the worse. Talk about a fake, digital, crappy, cheap sound if that was what Roland was going for they win first place. I played two different $1300.00 Les Pauls thru them and they made the LPs sound like Wal*Mart 99 buck specials!

Stay away form those things.

John

Genius.
There both great amps so it's jsut a case of trying them out and seeing which on you prefer the sound of. Don't base your decision heavily on other peoples.
Quote by hidehide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwB4KMGK9ug

Watch this video, you might fall in love with this amp immediately =)

Nowhere in Western Australia has them and buying online is not an option.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
I just bought the Peavey Vypyr 40 and it is an OK amp. I paid $199 at Guitar Center with a 12% off promotion. Can't go wrong for $200. I does a little bit of everything not great but good. I am thinking I will return it and exchange it for the Roland Bass Cube. My instructor has one and it is really nice. But it costs almost twice as much. If you are on a budget the Vypyr is a nice toy.
I recommend you to Roland Cube 40 XL.
I have that too and it is a very fine thing.
Translated by google.nl
I guess I'm in the minority. I got the Vypyr 30 and don't really like it. It's very heavy and pretty bulky. It has a lot of different sounds, but imo none of them sound that good unless you play metal. Half of the amp modes are really only any good if you play metal. Some of the amp modelers aren't even good for that. Most of the digital effects sound horrible to me.

I have a cheap Orange micro 12-watt solid state amp that gets maybe 3-4 different tones (all variations on a theme) and I greatly prefer the sounds I can get out of it to the Peavey. Just my opinion, but I cannot wait until I sell my 30-watt Vypyr and buy a proper tube practice amp.