hey everybody, i have a question, i have been playing for about a year now, with two 1hour lessons a week, and nonstop practice almost every night. i was wondering if id be ready for a band soon??? im interested but a bit confused as to where i stand,thanks
Well, let us hear you play. You could be playing for a year and suck balls, or you could have been playing for a year and be better than half the 3+ year players on here. We need a video, or an audio clip of some sort showing your playing.
Well, the only people who can answer that are yourself, and your potential bandmates. Guessing here, but I suspect if yourself and some mates want to get a band together, the best thing to do is... get a band together, practice together, have some fun, see what happens. Let's face it... the worst than can happen (other than, say, getting run over by a truck on the way to band practice) is you'll learn a whole load about how to play with others.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
If other people want to play with you, you're good enough to be in a band as far as I'm concerned. And that could be five minutes after you pick up an instrument.

Whether or not the band goes anyway or sounds good to other people is a seperate, and far less important matter, than your own enjoyment.
I was in a band 6 months after starting to play guitar, and i knew limited theory, some chords, powerchords and the minor pentatonic scale. But I wanted to be in a band so much. Being in a band developed my playing so much quicker that i have found it the biggest asset to my playing, and 3 years down the line, I can shred most people my age (15) under the table, but I am humble about my playing, grade 8 guitar, grade 8 bass, grade 8 music theory.
Doesn't matter how much experience you have. You should always be ready for a band. Even if you guys just jam together, it's a great learning experience beginner or expert.
you dont have to be that great, ull improve soooo much in a band situation...ull have more incentive to practice and be forced to play better....my singer sucked so bad at guitar when we started but we let him sing and work on the guitar, and now rhythm is pretty easy to him
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
I've been playing for a little over a year and I've been in like... 3 or 4 bands already.

I've had about 3 concerts and I've played at a **** load of parties. Playing in a band is some of the most fun I've ever had, and being exposed to other people who can constantly teach you and help you as well as who you can share ideas with... it will drastically improve your playing more than you realize.

In my main band, Dead and Dreaming, where we play Jazz/Death Metal/Folk, there the other guitarist has been playing for like 4 years and he's only like 15. Probably the best guitarist in our entire town right now not in their 30's+. I've learned more from a month of playing with him than I did in nearly half a year of guitar lessons.

Go for it.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Sure. There's no limit to how early you can start playing with other musicians. In fact, I'd encourage it because it's hands down one of the best ways to improve your playing. That said, I woulden't expect to be playing out anytime soon. Most bands are together for a couple years at least before they start playing out (depending on how experienced the members are).

Also, GL finding a reliable drummer
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Spengebaab
Doesn't matter how much experience you have. You should always be ready for a band. Even if you guys just jam together, it's a great learning experience beginner or expert.

Amen.
Guitars

(New guitar soon)
Washburn X200PROE
Applause AA21
Epiphone Les Paul Special

Amps

Marshall MG100HDFX + MG412A ME83
Roland CUBE20X
Playing with a band is a separate skill from learning an instrument. Of course you need to learn an instrument to play in a band, but playing with others is completely different to playing by yourself.

If the opportunity is open for you to join a band, do it!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud